Update #18: George Ziets, Paladins, Add-Ons, Rewards, and More!

Excellent update! I traditionally play a paladin, so that's great news. I also have always had a problem RPing worshiping a god, so I'm loving your take on him.

Arg, I felt the same way, just was hoping no one would state that as now everyone is going to spam how atheist paladins don't make sense.

That said when I read the paladin description I did a happy little dance.

Yessss, I am really loving this update! Paladins and Bards [Chanters] are my two most favourite classes - I can't say I've played many western RPGs recently, but I always end up picking a character path that leads to one or the other when I play MMOs.

Sadly, I can't realistically up my pledge any more, but it's sorely tempting.

• Like 1

I wish Obsidian would make it possible that we can become a deity during the course of the game,

This is something fresh that has never really been done before. (you can become a god at the end of Baldur's Gate ToB but never get to act in the world from their perspective)

I think Obsidian has the talent and depth to make it interesting.

@Anaeme: While I don't doubt they could pull it off it's the opposite to me. I'm so tired of PCs wanting to become gods because I played a lot of NWN online and the stereotypical new-to-RP player's character goal is one of these:

1) Become a Lich

or

2) Become a God

Edited by Jasede

Am I the only one that finds Chanter ominously similar to Chantry(only the class name, ofc)?

Chanters in Dragon Age are follower of the Chantry that talks only using sentences from the Chant of Light.

So much fun to make fun of them.

Edited by DocDoomII

I want the main character to be able, if he's lucky, clever, and tough enough, to survive without losing any limbs.

EDIT:

Am I the only one that finds Chanter ominously similar to Chantry(only the class name, ofc)?

Chanters in Dragon Age are follower of the Chantry that talks only using sentences from the Chant of Light.

My take is no chance in hell with a healthy dose of I sure as hell hope not. Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I wish Obsidian would make it possible that we can become a deity during the course of the game,

This is something fresh that has never really been done before. (you can become a god at the end of Baldur's Gate ToB but never get to act in the world from their perspective)

I think Obsidian has the talent and depth to make it interesting.

While I agree that is true it would be great have to point out that it has been done. In bg2 as you say, but also ofcourse god of war, the game that let's you play as one of the four the horse men (can't remember its name), devine divinity, arguably titans quest, and quite a few others.

Still that's not to say its inclusion would be a bad thing. There could be a dragon lance style trail of the twins story line even...

I will be the discordant voice here...

While I am happy that Obsidian considers adding to its design team a valuable and experienced designer, I am more wary (to say the list) toward the addition of two new classes.

New classes... again... Once again, the stretch goals unveiled are only about mechanisms, old school features, instead of offering story and exploration oriented features : increased world size, new city, new questlines...

I know that story remains a key objective of PE. Nevertheless, how does it come that Obsidian prefers to focus its communication and its aims regarding the develoment of the game on mechanics ?

There were able to offer very story oriented features in former updates : look at sretch goals 1.6M and 2.2M. I wish Obsidian would offer new updates like these ones. After all, wasn't the Shadowrun Returns additional city stretch goal one of the most exciting offered by this project ?

Based on previous comments on this update, it looks like adding new classes generate quite an appeal in the community. Yet, I think there are many people that would love to have more story oriented stretch goals. I do not blame Obsidian for adding some mechanism related stretch goals, I reproach them to do ONLY mechanism related goals.

So I hope we will be able to add Mr Ziets to the team, but I also wish for story oriented stretch goals. Maybe a 3M USD new goal ?

George is a story based stretch goal, and probably one of the best things ever if you are a story guy. He is by far one of the best story guys that I've ever worked with.

And, oh yeah, we aren't done yet. :)

I do keep faith, really, I do. But it is also nice to receive some reassurance / confirmation regarding story. So thank you for the answer !

You need to post Update #18 on the kickstarter front page and update the add-ons area. Of course, maybe it's already done and my browser is still using the cached page or something.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Highly unlikely, just like it is unlikely they'll be like enchanters (covered by ciphers anyways) from guildwars or eq. Although you probably could roll a priest like ritualistic chanter which would match closely the chantry style characters if you wanted.

Edited by choasrepeated

I want the main character to be able, if he's lucky, clever, and tough enough, to survive without losing any limbs.

EDIT:

My take is no chance in hell with a healthy dose of I sure as hell hope not.

I immediately thought of Skyrim and its myriad shouts. I could enjoy that. Probably something longer than 3 syllable shouts though.

I said years ago that I wanted to play a CRPG that felt like the coolest homebrew campaign made by DMs who really knew what they were doing.

No disrespect, but this setting already feels really crunchy and home-brewed.

Which is a fell complement, BTW.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I pledged my top amount on day one ... but y'all are making it really tough to stand firm on that. Really, really tough. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Question for Obsidian: somebody at RPG Codex suggested this about Chanter class:

If what they mean by "stringing together magical effects for prolonged periods" means something along the lines of "prepare spell-chains in advance and unleash them" that could lead to seriously interesting gameplay as you attempt to anticipate the needs of the coming encounter and **** goes badly when you chain 3x Ice Blast against the White Dragon diving at you!

http://www.rpgcodex....18#post-2306518

Which would be terrific but I doubt anybody at Obsidian had anything of the sort in mind regarding the Chanter class because:

Obsidian doesn't seem to be into tactical preparations like that, what with wanting to turn mages into spammers of spells.

Maybe somebody over there would like to share some thoughts?

Edited by villain of the story

@ Loki: I think addition of classes is a relatively minor thing given that IE already supported many similar classes. It would be highly doubtful to me that adding a class would actually cost $100k. I doubt it would cost $10k. It required some basic animations and tinkering with game mechanics and not much else. Point is: most of the rest of the money will get plowed into other development angles which would include art, story, npcs, areas etc.

i hope the chant of the chanter will be some kind of strong stuff, not just some lovely song twittering. i also like the idea that the chanter's voice could be somehow magically enhanced so that it is something between a shout from skyrim and a song. kind of impressive...

Trum, trum, terum tum tum - the landsknecht and his gaudy war drum.

The use of redundant imagery and epithets in Homeric epic poetry was what I thought Obsidz had in mind when they described Chanters use of well established snippets of ancient poetry. Seriously, the Chanter is a bard ol skool style.

• Like 1

Obsidian Plays

Great update.

I'm glad we can have Ziets on board.

About the classes, I'm not a big fan of paladins or bards/chanters, but I'm sure Obsidian will be able to make them interesting.

Are Chanters also somewhat of loremasters? Or there isn't a distinction from the wizards in that regard?

They are repositories of folk knowledge and common wisdom, tellers of tall tales and hallowed legends.

Moved the paragraph regarding the mouse pad to the rewards thread:

http://forums.obsidi...k/page__st__240

Edited by hideo kuze

The use of redundant imagery and epithets in Homeric epic poetry was what I thought Obsidz had in mind when they described Chanters use of well established snippets of ancient poetry. Seriously, the Chanter is a bard ol skool style.

Yes. Say "swift-footed Achilles" to the spirit world three times and everyone is hasted.

Not literally, but that's kind of the idea.

• Like 7