DM-Mode, for the future

Osvir

Purely a discussion thread, this has nothing to do with Project: Eternity as a development.

First off, what is Shadowkeeper, DLTCP and NearInfinity? Different modding tools to either enhance or God-mode your game.

I found it very interesting to play around with these whilst me and my friend was playing our Baldur's Gate session. I felt as I was the Dungeon Master (giving the party some disadvantages at some points, some advantages). We didn't have a Thief in our party, so I decided to Multi-Class one of my characters into a Thief (Adding our own personal Lore to it, why and how this was possible).

What I am suggesting is pretty much a DM-Mode in a future installment of a Baldur's Gate-esque game. Where you don't need to edit anything outside of the game (such as Shadowkeeper or DLTCP) but something where you can edit in-game.

Per example, if I were the DM, and 6 posters on this forum where players in the game, I could enhance your experience as a DM. I could call upon monsters, or direct you towards a quest, give you appropriate experience and so on and so forth. Immersing the player's into an even deeper experience.

Another thing me and my friend were going to start (which we never did, Guild Wars 2 took up his time) was a session where he would play the game and I would narrate the story (Skype = Share-Screen is great for this) as well as use Shadowkeeper and DLTCP to effect his game.

Is this something you would like to see in a future RPG?

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

The way you talk about it makes it seem predicated on multiplayer being part of the game. Which is getting ahead of ourselves at this point.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

A good shout, a sort of micro-editing tool for characters.

I'm sure a modder will make one, though. I love SK.

Yes!

I am sure that modders will make a similar Save Editor such as the SK or whatnot, I am curious to the functionality of having an extra player who isn't a player but he actually "controls" the pacing of your game (The Dungeon Master). In a sense, the game Baldur's Gate is the "Dungeon Master" itself, but what if someone else could take control of it in-game without having to Save/Load game because you edited some content out-of game?

The way you talk about it makes it seem predicated on multiplayer being part of the game. Which seems getting ahead of ourselves at this point.

You misunderstand Tale. Read the first sentence:

"Purely a discussion thread, this has nothing to do with Project: Eternity as a development."

I made this thread in the General Discussion because of this reason. Not necessarily for an Obsidian game either, more like "Hey, what do you think about this feature? Is it something you'd like to see in any Baldur's Gate esque game? Any game at all? Skyrim? GTA? Driver? I don't know... discuss with me! :D"

Edited by Osvir

The way you talk about it makes it seem predicated on multiplayer being part of the game. Which is getting ahead of ourselves at this point.

Not really - I use it on parties to re-spec NPCs appearance, skills etc as well as on my own party of six characters I've created.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Talked with the OP in PM and we're going to move this to Computer and Console since he's speaking more generally than Project Eternity.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds exactly like what Neverwinter Nights could do, though restricted more to the campaign if I understand correctly (ex. not the multiplayer worlds bit)?

If that is the case, it would be awesome, but I doubt it will happen. The amount of work to create such a thing would be immense and I think their time can be better spent perfecting the campaign, story, and rest.

Likely a dream, but yeah...it would rock definitely.

*edit* Whoops, thought this was in the project eternity section. Sorry, my mistake!

Edited by Aleron

• 1 month later...

^Intended for it first Aleron. I did want the thread to shed some insight for the developers but oh well :)

I'm still curious if there is a possibility for such a game like this, where you play 1 party and your friend plays the DM. Live action Modding. Sending a lightning strike, adding in a quest as your friend goes along. Handing out objectives, removing perks, adding perks. Deciding when your party levels up and when they don't etc. etc.

I know someone made a DM map for WC3 (several maps/several authors) with this purpose but it was shoddy and I was way too young/inexperienced to even understand what the heck was going on. I remember there being some sort of DM map in Starcraft: BW as well.