How about including a reference to Tingle from Legend of Zelda?

He could be a crazy pervert that is convinced he is an elf and runs around exposing himself to people. Basically how I imagine the real Tingle would be. You could get a quest where you have to bring him in "Dead or Alive".

"Why don't you just jack off in a bottle of formaldehyde and call it our first born?" - Minatsuki "Hummingbird" Takami

Zelda isn't quite the flavor of classic gaming that this project is designed to emulate.

I don't think Legend of Zelda has a crazy naked pervert.

"Why don't you just jack off in a bottle of formaldehyde and call it our first born?" - Minatsuki "Hummingbird" Takami

I'm genuinely curious about the inspiration for this idea. Where is it coming from?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I was just playing Divine Divinity and some fat, bear chested guy in leather called Tinglaf ran up to me out of nowhere at night and started talking about showing me his "wares" he's actually a fence but it seemed pretty creepy at the time.

I am less against it because it is out of universe humour, the fallouts had plenty of brilliant references. It is more that I *expletive* hate Tingle, with all of my being. He is so annoying

Legendary Weapons Made By You - A post about weapon customisation and creating your own legendary items

Magic Spell Customisation - A post about adapting spells to fit your style, making news ones from old

$4million+ raised, I think our jobs here are done.

In-universe humor can be a nice change of pace. Out of universe humor breaks the suspension of disbelief. So... this would be unhelpful. :no:

That's a good point however the Fallout games referenced pop culture constantly, just look at the wiki. The key as Tim Cain said is to make it so that anybody who isn't in on the joke wouldn't think it's out of place. Which is why I suggested a crazy naked pervert who thinks he's an elf as a reference and not a guy in a skin tight green outfit saying that catch phrase.

Just because you reference something doesn't mean you're showing support for it.

I am less against it because it is out of universe humour, the fallouts had plenty of brilliant references. It is more that I *expletive* hate Tingle, with all of my being. He is so annoying

Well then wouldn't you like to kill him? That's what I suggested you could do in the first post.

So you want a fat, perverse, possibly pedophilic NPC to harass the player constantly? With the exceptional creative team behind it, PE should not have to fall back so hard on blasé references for comedy. Besides, I don't see a lot of crossover between late 90s LoZ players and late 90s CRPG players. The fantasy of LoZ is lighthearted and child-oriented, I do not believe PE will be the same, like its IE predecessors.

Edited by AGX-17

So you want a fat, perverse, possibly pedophilic NPC to harass the player constantly? With the exceptional creative team behind it, PE should not have to fall back on blasé references for comedy. Besides, I don't see a lot of crossover between late 90s LoZ players and late 90s CRPG players.

I never mentioned harasing the player, in any case I had imagined it as a side quest. Why not fall back on blasé references from time to time? Well you know about him don't you? As you can see from this thread a lot of people do and many of them hate Tingle including me so why not get the chance to kill him?

I am a late 90's LoZ player and a late 90's cRPG player. Yes I probably would like to kill tingle, but the thought of him infecting PE makes my skin crawl. *shudder*

Legendary Weapons Made By You - A post about weapon customisation and creating your own legendary items

Magic Spell Customisation - A post about adapting spells to fit your style, making news ones from old

$4million+ raised, I think our jobs here are done.

As you can see from this thread a lot of people do and many of them hate Tingle including me so why not get the chance to kill him?
It seems completely random. You could probably make a list 2 pages long of characters from videogames that are annoying and people want to kill. What makes Tingle, a character from Legend of Zelda, special compared to the likes of Noober or Grobnar?
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

As you can see from this thread a lot of people do and many of them hate Tingle including me so why not get the chance to kill him?
It seems completely random. You could probably make a list 2 pages long of characters from videogames that are annoying and people want to kill. What makes Tingle, a character from Legend of Zelda, special compared to the likes of Noober or Grobnar?

More people want to kill Tingle I imagine. According to his Wikipedia page he's one of the most hated characters in video game history, except in Japan. I haven't heard of Noober but Grobnar isn't as well known. Also Fallout had tons of references that were completely random, The Flintstones, The Simpsons, They Live, one of the new Fallouts references Strapping Young Lad. A lot of these things I wouldn't have known unless I had looked it up on the wiki.

Out of world references all come down to the type of game a developer is making. It worked in Fallout because of that game's satirical tone. In this game we have no idea what the devs aim to do, but my guess is that they will mostly be playing it straight.

As a matter of preference, if there are subtle references to out of universe things I'd rather they weren't other video games and video game characters (Things like the Obsidian Order, etc.)

He could be a crazy pervert that is convinced he is an elf and runs around exposing himself to people. Basically how I imagine the real Tingle would be. You could get a quest where you have to bring him in "Dead or Alive".

How about there not be any of the above? That sounds alot better to me...

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

This would be an awful idea.

And pop culture references in Fallout don't even compare... Fallout is a fictional future that arguably shared our past. Pop culture references have no place in a fantasy setting.

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLh4iHNzHHs

It still pains me that they never released this game in English...

As for Tingle in Project Eternity? Yeeaah, not really necessary I think, I think they should keep pop-culture references to a minimum, maybe something from Planescape or other BIS or Obsidian games if they want to but that's it.

Edited by Guts