I don't want PE to be another Icewind Dale

PE is not another BG, another IWD, or another PS:T. We want to take the best elements from each game to make something new. From BG, the exploration and companion interaction, from IWD, the environments and tactical combat, and from PS:T, the highly-reactive narrative and exploration of mature themes.

• Like 17

PE is not another BG, another IWD, or another PS:T. We want to take the best elements from each game to make something new. From BG, the exploration and companion interaction, from IWD, the environments and tactical combat, and from PS:T, the highly-reactive narrative and exploration of mature themes.

I actually thought that was pretty clear from the outset, but it's good to see you guys jumping in to clear up the misconceptions. :)

• Like 5

I actually thought that was pretty clear from the outset, but it's good to see you guys jumping in to clear up the misconceptions. :)

I suppose the misconceptions arising make sense due to the nature of all the updates up to now, but it's important to note who's involved and the dangers of talking too much about that deep reactive narrative. I think examples of reactive content would be nice, but only in the generic sense.

Yay for dev involvement. :)

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I had these Multi-Quoted whilst I was reading the pages just so I could answer...

You don't want the game to be a like Icewind Dale? Heh... I don't want it to be like Planescape Torment.

We don't really get what we want in life, now do we?

The only old school Rpg I've played is Planescape: Torment...I hope the game will be like that one. I seriously do. In everything except combat that is. I hear the combat in other old school Rpgs is a lot better.

... someone more credible did it first :p

in addition, P:E will be P:E. In fact, P:E already is P:E and somewhere and somehow I unexplainably already like it more xD

Oh, wait, but the companion interaction was superior in PS:T compared to BG... :sweat: :sweat:

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Why can't we have both Icewind Dale combat experience, while also having a PST characterization experience at the same time? Best of both worlds don't you think?

This is pretty much what the Baldur's Gate series was, and I think that's what this game will turn out to feel most like. PS:T was too story heavy, and IWD too combat heavy, I imagine they're more interested in trying to strike a balance than lean one way or another.

If you look past the story I had the most fun gameplay wise with icewind dale out of all the infinity engine games. Challenging enemies throughout the whole game for the most part, Constant rewards for the player when it comes to equipment and spells.

A rich world lore can only go so far in making a good game. Lore immerses players into the world and makes it feel like it has depth. But if the world is simple in design dungeons and towns. And the combat exploration is crap. Then the game sucks. Arcanum being a good example of this. It had a really cool setting that was wasted because everything else about the game was lackluster. What a shame.

Oh, wait, but the companion interaction was superior in PS:T compared to BG... :sweat: :sweat:

Have you seen some of the mods for BG today? I know I know, that's all post-release mods. But it is also what BG is today. A year ago I found the PocketPlaneGroup, they had a big article saying "Play Baldur's Gate like it is supposed to be played today, not 10 years ago. Download this mod pack".

I would say that a "True" Baldur's Gate is one that is highly modded. The "Original" Baldur's Gate is something of the past, for one we're getting the EE of it (Enhanced Edition) in a month :)

I don't know Ignatius. I can instantly think of a quote from every companion in PS:T, where I can't say that for even a couple BG or BG II companions. That being said, the BG games have a good balance between crawl/brawl and 'quest' content.

Stop touching me.

Tiax is as Tiax does.

Heya, it's me Imoen.

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

We're all doomed.

Elminster this and Elminster that. Give ME two thousand years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his arse!

Yes, oh omnipresent authority figure?

that will do for now :D

• Like 5

Legendary Weapons Made By You - A post about weapon customisation and creating your own legendary items

Magic Spell Customisation - A post about adapting spells to fit your style, making news ones from old

$4million+ raised, I think our jobs here are done.

DISASTER. We need the companion interaction from PS:T, the tactical combat of NWN 2, and the quest design of IWD 2.

Obviously I have NO CHOICE but to remove my pledge.

(Jokes)

When Obsidian mentioned Icewind Dale in their first video along with Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment, I was a bit worried. Don't get me wrong - I've played and enjoyed both IWD and IWD2, they were good games, but Icewind Dale was actually something like a big expansion pack to Baldur's Gate, centered on combat. Besides slaughtering monsters and exploring mega-dungeons there wasn't much to do. Obsidian also mentioned games Planescape: Torment, Fallout and Arcanum, so I thought Icewind Dale was put in just for the credits and PE will be more like those games. Guess I was wrong. Developers talk mostly about combat in their updates and on the forums people demand Vancian system and even Justin Sweet portraits. This is the main reason why I am opposed to Justin - I fear that the game will not only look like Icewind Dale, but it will also play like one. And this is definitely something that I do not want. There is also another thing. I remember that Sawyer once talked a bit about Icewind Dale and explained that it was a workhorse for the good old Interplay - it had a short development cycle, didn't cost much but sold really well. Fargo is also a big fun of Icewind Dale (which is not surprising lol). So, I am beginning to fear that PE will be another Icewind Dale focused on combat and dungeon-crawling, not a solid RPG like Arcanum or Planescape: Torment with a lot of options besides combat.

This post is ridiculous and OP is a silly troll.

It's as if you haven't read any of the posts at the KS page.

Edited by hideo kuze

Hi Josh, will there be some elements from Fallout?For me,the point and attack system adding will be great. Edited by bronzepoem

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Why can't we have both Icewind Dale combat experience, while also having a PST characterization experience at the same time? Best of both worlds don't you think?

This is pretty much what the Baldur's Gate series was...

...'cept that teh IWD series had far superior combat than than the BG Series had & PS:T had far superior pretty much e'erythin' 'cept for combat than the BG Series had...so, really, if'n P:E had the superior combat o' the IWD's an' the pretty much e'erythin' else o' PS:T, ya can pretty much jus' remove teh BG Series from the equation...a win-win... :w00t:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Hi Josh, will there be some elements from Fallout?For me,the point and attack system adding will be great.

I'm not sure what you mean by point and attack system, but we will likely be using a reputation system similar to F:NV in Project Eternity (also, we aren't using "alignment", "karma" or other morality meters). In general, the way we will be approaching the world design and faction development will likely be similar to F:NV. We want the characters to feel like they have believable motivations, reasons for doing what they do.

• Like 1

Hi Josh, will there be some elements from Fallout?For me,the point and attack system adding will be great.

I'm not sure what you mean by point and attack system, but we will likely be using a reputation system similar to F:NV in Project Eternity (also, we aren't using "alignment", "karma" or other morality meters). In general, the way we will be approaching the world design and faction development will likely be similar to F:NV. We want the characters to feel like they have believable motivations, reasons for doing what they do.

Sorry for my poor English.Chris has mentioned your idea of reputation system in kickstarter and I love it. What I mean in my post is the combat system in fallout which allow us to attack different parts of enemies' body. I think that system can combine with real-time pause system and support great fun, especially in the combat with gaint monsters^_^ Edited by bronzepoem
  • Like 1

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Sorry for my poor English.Chris has mentioned your idea of reputation system in kickstarter and I love it. What I mean in my post is the combat system in fallout which allow us to attack different parts of enemies' body. I think that system can combine with real-time pause system and support great fun, especially in the combat with gaint monsters^_^

I'd guess no - the Infinity engine games didn't have that mechanic, and it probably fits better into a turn-based game.

I'm sure Josh and Tim will dream up a cool critical hit/miss system or something though.(HOPES!)