What do you want in the expansion?

What Would You Want in a PE Expansion?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Style

• Wide Exploration (with new major regions and new characters touched upon although sometimes not met per se)
    • Prelude Presentation (Introduction to PE2, if designers deem transition might be too sharp)
    • Progressive Vignettes (short adventures concluding threads for companions and other important NPC or introducing them to a new position)
    • Strategic Intermission (a war or large battle sweeps across the face of places grown familiar, changing these places and killing many)
  2. 2. Governing Genre (what genre tends to be main and resumed without fail)

• Violent Action (combat, more combat, even more combat)
    • Horror and Suspense (the horror builds as something the player character might not be able to fight nor avoid)
    • Mystery and Intrigue (not only an investigative mystery but plotting and conspiracy alongside)
    • No Governing Genre, all Genres available in turns.
  3. 3. What Happens to the Protagonist?

• Gone at Expansion's End (Death, Retirement, Ascension, Vanishes, Cliffhanger)
    • Continues after Expansion and Grows in Power
    • Continues after Expansion but is Reduced in Power
    • Reappears in Sequel as a Patron or Powerful Helper but not Protagonist (viat the Expansion)
    • Reappears in Sequel as an Opponent or Rival (viat the expansion)
    • Not in Expansion nor Sequel

I'm not talking about DLC so much as about an actual expansion.

Edited by septembervirgin

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

None of the above.

This is not happening, but I'd like the expansion to not be a continuation of the game, but a standalone like SoU for NWN.

New character, new adventure, new plot, new people, new problems.

The hero of Eternity should be done and all over by the games end.

Man, you people love voting. After every update at least dozen more or less relevant polls pop out almost immediately. But why limit choices so drastically, because I don't feel any of above is quite of my liking? Usually best expansions are those that do something completely unexpected and surprise me.

I still think it's best to just trust Obsidian and the great talents behind this game. Maybe they could even get George Ziets to write the expansion if they are unable to get him to do actual game.(Though I've never played game done by him, but he seems to have very enthusiastic fanbase here so I would be thrilled to see what that's all about)

EDIT: Only thing I expect from an expansion is that it somehow connects with original story. If they just throw it in new place with new main character, new companions and new everything, then why call it expansion? Isn't that all new game? I also usually like to be able to continue with my character from original game, but that's not must.

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 1

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

I'd like to see something like the BG series and MotB where I can grow my character over several games and expansions, watching them increase in power until they truly are a force to be reckoned with and then ending it with a satisfying conclusion (MotB would have been great if we had actually been able to take down the wall). I don't expect to be able to kill gods or anything, but I want my character to be nearly there by the time their story is done. And then I want do the whole thing all over again with more games set in the same world possibly with different titles or something. Me? Demanding? Never :p

I really do like building my characters up and sticking with them though, but I realize having choices carrying over between games can end up being quite a huge pain (unless of course you go the Kotor2 way and let the player decide what happened at the start). I do like expansions to have their own smaller stories (I actually liked the DA expansion Awakening for its story and interesting characters. Ignoring everything else, especially some of the conversation changes, I liked it more than Origins), and by smaller I mean obviously they can't be the same size as an entire game.

I think it works well when you can play them from any point in your current game like TotSC, though when they focus heavily on story like MotB it can work if they continue from the end of the game too.

I'd like more story, it can be on the main plot (not necessarily an "i'm not dead" subplot, more like explore the mystery behind the main plot) or a completely different side plot if handled as good as the original game. Third option would be revealing a mystery behind a companion. But I don't like the "one of the antagonists survives and becomes even more powerful" type plots. They all end up with massive battles rather than story.

I dislike main character deaths, mainly because I love to be able to travel around after the main scenario is finished, and I love it when I see my character in a sequel, be it as PC or NPC.

An expansion pack should pack more than a few tidbits, like it's not really a DLC. But it should also not just provide new stuff, places to explore, things to do, it should also introduce new fully realized features which for some reason did not make it into the main game in time. There is this gripe that developers deliberately cut out features which could have / should have been in the main game and repack it as a DLC. This should not happen in an expansion. Hence yes we want to see new content, new features, and I feel it should a big package of not just more of the same, but different stuff. I suggest a varied combination including:

a. Continuation of my main character

b. a new subplot or a different plot exploring a separate fully fleshed out area away from the original main plot

c. Continuation of my companions

d. Explore further any developing relationships, romances

e. an new romance

f. an improved stronghold with new features

g. new export feature to allow the Player to bring along his select equipment

And no Endless Dungeons. That will be a 'been there, done that'. I am looking for a new area that is large and varied, such as a new city, an entire new region with its own culture, people, themed items, NPCs, etc. Definitely want value for money.

For comparison, I'd much prefer a Tales of the Sword Coast expansion (for BG1) than Throne of Bhaal (for BG2)--which was not intended to be an expansion but rather BG3. I do not think a ToB-style expansion of the main storyline would be appropriate at all; that should be saved for a proper sequel.

For a TotSC-style expansion, the main difference I would like to see are different responses by NPCs due to the "ending"--however, this must be flexible, of course, because in subsequent playthroughs of BG1, I played TotSC before finishing the main BG1 storyline.

P.S.: Meh, don't like the poll options one bit.

Edited by Ieo

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Since we know essentially nothing about P:E's story, it's a bit hard to speculate on the details of the expansion or to give suggestions/express preferences. The nature of the expansion will, of course, depend on the nature of the game it expands upon. Right now, I'm too stoked about Project Eternity to worry much about what comes next, although I do think it's cool that they are thinking of where they want to go with the franchise after the first game. Hopefully, that kind of forethought will make the series feel more cohesive.

Edited by eimatshya

Let me use the same character if I want, give me new areas to explore, bump up the level cap so I can get more powerful, and give me a plot full of intrigue and suspense.

8)

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Where's the "let them surprise us" options? The last thing I want to play is a plot designed through a series of polls. :p

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Here we go. From the KS Feargus Q&A sessions, courtesy of Ink Blot:

Question: I know most of you don't agree with me, but I just believe everyone should get the same game. I realize that it's just a pet and that it will have little or no impact on game play, but I feel that even those who pledge less than I should benefit from the exact same experience. After the pet, what's next? Additional skins for the $110 tier? A new class at the $250 tier? A new region for the $500 tier? Where do we draw the line?

I associate this type of practice with the big publisher tactics we're trying to get away from and it's definitely disappointing to me. That is all I have to say on the matter.

Feargus: The line was already drawn. We talked before this all started and told ourselves we would not offer any game affecting content that only some people would get. Actually, that is not true. We have talked about giving the higher level tiers - $250+ free copies of the expansion pack (full adventure like Sword Coast). Haven't decided on that one. An expansion pack that would come out months after the game

Question: Expansion is expected to be about the length of throne of bhaal?

Feargus: I don't think if it will be Throne of Bhaal level - partly because Throne of Bhaal was originally going to be be BG3. It will be significant though - more than something like Old World Blues.

The first TotSC reference fills me with glee, and I appreciate the latter comment that keeps ToB separate--though I don't know anything about Old World Blues.

TotSC!

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I would honestly love to see my character continue to grow over the course of following games (perhaps to a finale in PE2 Exp or even PE3!), with the first expansion similar to BG:ToSC, focusing on exploration and intrigue. If the general arc of the story allows for this I feel this game has the real potential to replace my love for BG! It would BE EPIC!!! :)

Too early to say, but I like it when modding and especially new adventure creation is well supported. This seems to work best when there's a lot of different enviroments and monsters to choose from. Therefore it would be best if the expansion was set on a different area. For example, if the main game is set on a temperate region, the expansion might be set on desert or jungle or both. Exploration is good in my books

Edited by Kissamies

SODOFF Steam group.

None of the above.

This is not happening, but I'd like the expansion to not be a continuation of the game, but a standalone like SoU for NWN.

New character, new adventure, new plot, new people, new problems.

The hero of Eternity should be done and all over by the games end.

I agree with this, I want a new protagonist in a distant land, with your actions in the original game having certain big influences, but that's it.

Edit: Oh, and definitely NO Baldur's Gate 1, New Vegas or Morrowind-style expansions, I just HATE how they break the original's game balance by giving you a lot of extra levels and equipment, and how they tend to rely on freaking auto-level in order to pose a challenge regardless of when do you tackle on them.

Edited by Elthosian

whatever the developers deem best...though i will say this: "I WANT TO CARRY ON WITH MY PROTAGONIST (be it his soul or his actual "now" persona) AND NOT JUST HAVE HIM GO *poof* AND VANISH!

BG1 did this so well by limiting our power progression to reasonable levels so that when BG2 came around you still weren't Mr. Big D1ck badass.

Edited by NerdBoner

Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg 2

To explore a new continent where technology has evolved past the rudimentary firearms, the different races have mastered steam, and there is printed press.

The conflict between magic and technology unfolds again.

Not knowing what the core game will be like, I tend to favor an expansion that integrates into the main game somewhat seamlessly (like BG1 xpac, or Dead Money for FONV, etc.)

But when this arc is done, I think they should reset the franchise and make the next game start fresh. new continent/land, new part of the timeline, whatever) I think the single character trilogy thing has been kind of done to death.

Edited by nikolokolus