What was your singular favorite spell among the IE games?

I like these, but I really hope we get some new ORIGINAL unique spells in PE and not just rehashes of the same spells we all have used before. I also hope we got some non combat spells for a change that we can use outside of battle.

Oh, I know. I'm curious what kind of spells are popular--area effect, damage, defense, arcane or divine, utility spells, etc. So far arcane has the lead and most are damage spells, which isn't surprising. I think I listed the only druid spell too.

I hope PE has some interesting utility spells, and divine spells don't seem popular outside ho-hum necessity. (I did really love Fall-from-Grace's high level Call Lightning, though.)

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I was a big fan of Baldur's Gate 2's Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. Back in the day I used to like making forum signatures and it made its way onto one of my favorites. It's lost to the bowels of expired websites and crashed hard drives. The graphic was incredible, the damage was great.

Neverwinter Nights 2's version is just kind of sad.

This post is single handedly responsible for an apostrophe shortage in the midwest.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I loves many of them.

Chromatic Orbs was great. Loved to use it.

Also, the Fire Shield REd/Blue (or blade barrier) + stoneskin combo. Now that was just pure evil.

Sunburst too.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

BG 1: Sleep, Entangle, Charm Person, Charm Animal. There are more things to do with those you'd imagine. For example, you could Charm Person a mage and order him to cast his fireball on himself.

Also, summon 12 bears.

In BG2 it's Scrying. It was possible to remove fog of war and cast some stuff from afar or throw monsters at badguys, and they won't even aggro on you. Lower Magic Resistance + Desintigrate on golems worked charms too. Oh, and turning dragons into squirells.

In IWD is't obviously Contact Other Plane. That was just a lovely little spell.

In Planescape Stygian Wrath. Also, Chromatic Sphere, it was soooo shiiiinyyyyy.

Edited by Shadenuat

I liked how in BG 2 there were so many different types of spells that could be dispelled with other spells, so you could be mass diffused, controlled, hold down or silenced (dispell or resistent equipment) but also boosted by haste or with bless/"prayer", there were a lot of spells that lowered or raised specific things like magic resistence, attack, defense, speed, there were spells with a lasting area effect like cloudkill or entanglement (that also could be dispelled), there were a lot of "companions" like animals, djinns and elementars that could be made to fight at your side and often turn against you if u injured them and of course lots of different damage and avoid damage spells.

I liked that almost every spell had its counterpart and casters were serious opponents that could have very different magic "memorized" and needed different tactical approach depending on how they acted. I would very much to see that diversity and variabilty again, although I am sure that will be very hard to do (if opponents die like flies like in IWD, then I guess they don't need a lot of spells anyway :/).

I like Fireball, because it did a lot of damage but you had to be very careful where to put it.

Chain lightning always was funny if u just stupidly walked into masses of opponents.

Chain was nice to store some lower level spells and then release them in an instant if needed for lots of damage.

Hated death/desintegrate/Imprisonment because I always failed to have the counterspell memorized/protection against it. But it's nice that others used and liked it. Everyone could use different tactics.

Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting i almost cried when first time i used it. Love at first sight!

Chain contingency : who ordered 3 fireballs ?

Modenkainen's Force Missiles : improved magic missles? yes please!

Symbol of Hopelessness : battlefield control unmatched.

Edited by cyberarmy

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

Also teleport in Arcanum. That was a great spell.

Charm in Arcanum was great as well... running around with an army of followers.

But teleport was awesome. Especially on the evil playtrhough where...

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I admit, I was never huge fan of wizards and spellslingers in general... until the Planescape Torment, that is. I try to make the list as thin as posssible. Shooting Force Missiles like a crazy was a pure joy because from where these came there was still more :biggrin: , Blacksphere and Shroud of Shadows looked so cool and of course seeing the Abyssal Fury, Meteor Storm Bombardment or Fire and Ice for a first time was just... outstanding and still there was plenty others to choose from. Special note goes to Fanged Mirror of Yehcir Eya, while not a regular spell I say thiis piece with its effect of green trembling clones is still my most beloved spell to this day.

Edited by Ywerion

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

Just any IE game? Mass Haste . . . Iron Body . . . Black Barbed Shield . . . Suffocate . . . Contingency . . . Tenser's Transformation . . . Vocalize . . . Flesh to Stone . . . Disintegrate . . . Blink . . . Blacksphere . . . Haste . . . Slow . . . Balance in all Things . . . Knock . . . and so many other good ones, it's hard to choose. Hhmmm . . .

I think I'd pick Gate, oddly, because ninth level Transmutation spells are so rare . . . there are good ones from several Schools but the implementation of Gate in BGII was just perfect. You get your creepy things coming out, the gate and the things look great and you need to prepare to use it by protecting yourself from Evil. Did I mention the extra planar creatures were just plain well done? I'm not usually a conjuration player but if more conjuration spells were handled that well (summon fiend/cacofiend had similar function actually) in cRPGs I'd likely play Conjuration for often.

Gate.

The best spell? Maybe not. Entertaining? Endlessly.

Vipergout also had some splended imagery . . . even though I wasn't really one to use it much.

Edited by Umberlin

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Summon Deva.

The first time I used it I ran with my paladin into a room full of baddies, summened it, ran out and closed the door.

When I came back in later all the enemies were dead.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I actually had similar experience with Fire Elemental, combined with Magelock, in Arcanum oSaMO, good times :-D. Sorry for offtopic.

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

Chromatic Orb. Such a low level spell that can be extremely dangerous even at high levels. Sadly, with what looks to be Obsidian's system, I don't think we'll have a spell like that in PE.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.