Has Obsidian gone too far in some of its recent updates?

Well times are changing and Facebook is a good way to promote your material. Likes spread the word.

Free WL2 is bullcrap in my opinion but if it'll make people pledge more, so be it. Yet again if I wanted WL2, I'd go and buy it when it comes out.

I'm happy to hear about an expansion.

Up front, I'm pledged on the game and that isn't going to change. That said, some of the recent announcements not only have me rolling my eyes, they have other "old school" RPG fans I know laughing at how stupid they seem. Asking for Facebook likes to get another dungeon level? Giving away Wasteland 2 now if you pledge above a certain amount? Promising an expansion to pledgers above a certain amount? How about they just focus on things that will expand PE, not other stuff like that?

Am I the only one who thinks they've gone a bit too far with this?

I'm not 's worlds biggest Facebook fan. But ignoring it's enormous potential for spreading the word about this project, just so a certain demographic can try to pretend it's not there, is just dumb. Social networking is here, it's part of the world and it doesn't look like it's going away. You don't have to participate, or even like it, but the elitist pride for this whole "get off ma lawn!" attitude some people keep insisting on makes me roll my eyes every time I come across it. Just deal with it. (I have an account, and that's about the extent to which I use it. I had to generate a new password so I could log in to 'Like' the Obsidian page, cause I haven't got a clue what my old one was ...)

And I fail to see how making plans for the future of the PE IP and getting incentives so people will pledge more money are anything but "focusing on things that will expand PE."

Up front, I'm pledged on the game and that isn't going to change. That said, some of the recent announcements not only have me rolling my eyes, they have other "old school" RPG fans I know laughing at how stupid they seem. Asking for Facebook likes to get another dungeon level? Giving away Wasteland 2 now if you pledge above a certain amount? Promising an expansion to pledgers above a certain amount? How about they just focus on things that will expand PE, not other stuff like that?

Likes are better than a stupid facebook flash game with in-game rewards for P:E.

Why whoever might have done this?

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

We didn't have Facebook in 90's, we don't need it now! Hurr durr! Expansion and Wasteland 2 for those rich f*****s? Why don't I get anything for my 20$ which is half of my monthly income?! Herp derp!

It must require some special talent to form complaint about how Obsidian gets more publicity and gives pledgers more things for their money and by doing so gets more funding for the project.

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 1

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

I think one can discuss things like this and have different opinions ... what I absolutely don't like (yes, I know, it's the internet) is if people are insulted or treated in a demeaning way just because their opinion / attitude is different. I was naive, thinking that fans of "old-school" rpgs have too a high level of respect and maturity for that. Seems I was wrong. Guess I'm happy this won't be an MMO then ...

Likes are better than a stupid facebook flash game with in-game rewards for P:E.

Dragon Age?

No need to get depressed Caranthir, put your happy face back on :yes: .

I think the Facebook stuff etc is fine, my logic behind this is that they already plan to do a 10 level dungeon (or whatever number of levels) and are just making up entertaining publicity as reasons to do it. I think they'll do it anyway.

Lots of people have voiced concerns about things like the Xpac not selling if it was included as an Addon before the KS ends. Personally I'd be off the opinion that the fans of PE (Obsidian Order included) should act as an additional marketing tool, go out and publicise the game ourselves. Make it sell more, big it up to everyone we know etc. Make it a success. Use Facebook and Twitter and a megaphone if you have one, whatever helps.

We all know that even ****ty games can be huge sales successes (*cough*Diablo3*cough*). Of course PE will be awesome but I'd like to see it be a sales success too, so we get more companies following Obsidians lead and making good games instead of pandering to the flavour of the month and churning out AAA crapola.

I'm sorry, but to people saying the update wasn't clear about expansion access I really don't know what you read. It was pretty clear that anyone pledging enough would get the expansion for free the same time it becomes available to everyone else to buy; which they are predicting will be about 6 months after the game is released. Nothing early. Nothing as day one DLC. Just an eventual expansion pack as a free gift. I suppose not everyone is a native english reader.

Edited by ogrezilla

I don't see any problem with anything they're doing.

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

I think one can discuss things like this and have different opinions ... what I absolutely don't like (yes, I know, it's the internet) is if people are insulted or treated in a demeaning way just because their opinion / attitude is different. I was naive, thinking that fans of "old-school" rpgs have too a high level of respect and maturity for that. Seems I was wrong. Guess I'm happy this won't be an MMO then ...

If you are referring to my previous post then let me explain few things: First of all I'm not trying to insult any particular person with that. It was obvious and purposeful exaggeration and no one should take it seriously. Secondly: Having different opinions is of course ok, but if you openly state it, it's at same time permission for others to say their opinion on your opinion. They can agree with it, disagree, make fun of it, whatever they feel like doing. It's how things work in every area of life, not just internet. You can see same thing happen when politicians or even respected professors debate. It's whole point of debating: To prove your opinion as superior or in exchange prove others opinion inferior. If we just go around respecting every view then what is learned in the process?

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

If you are referring to my previous post then let me explain few things: First of all I'm not trying to insult any particular person with that. It was obvious and purposeful exaggeration and no one should take it seriously. Secondly: Having different opinions is of course ok, but if you openly state it, it's at same time permission for others to say their opinion on your opinion. They can agree with it, disagree, make fun of it, whatever they feel like doing. It's how things work in every area of life, not just internet. You can see same thing happen when politicians or even respected professors debate.

No, I was not referring to any single particular post, but it was my general impression after reading a couple of pages. I agree with you when you say that if one person can express his opinion, others have the right to state their opinion on that opinion. Yes, they can agree and disagree ... but I do not think that people should make fun of other opinions or do "whatever they feel like doing". This may be how things work in every area of life ... but that does not mean that it's a good thing. I doubt politicians' behavior is something we should strive to emulate ... and as scientific debates among professors go ... arguments are what counts, not personal attacks or belittling somebody who holds a different opinion. A proferssor in a scientific debat lowering himself to those measures is no longer a "respected" professor. And yes, of course there is a difference between purposeful exaggeration that people can clearly perceive as not meant completely seriously and calling everybody with a different opinion a "troll."

I can very well respect that somebody has a different opinion and still think he's wrong ... especially when the debate is not about facts, but about tastes, believes, impressions ...

Edited by Caranthir

Dragon Age?

I know...

If we just go around respecting every opinion then what is learned in the process?

Tolerance, non-violence?

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

If you are referring to my previous post then let me explain few things: First of all I'm not trying to insult any particular person with that. It was obvious and purposeful exaggeration and no one should take it seriously. Secondly: Having different opinions is of course ok, but if you openly state it, it's at same time permission for others to say their opinion on your opinion. They can agree with it, disagree, make fun of it, whatever they feel like doing. It's how things work in every area of life, not just internet. You can see same thing happen when politicians or even respected professors debate.

No, I was not referring to any single particular post, but it was my general impression after reading a couple of pages. I agree with you when you say that if one person can express his opinion, others have the right to state their opinion on that opinion. Yes, they can agree and disagree ... but I do not think that people should make fun of other opinions or do "whatever they feel like doing". This may be how things work in every area of life ... but that does not mean that it's a good thing. I doubt politicians' behavior is something we should strive to emulate ... and as scientific debates among professors go ... arguments are what counts, not personal attacks or belittling somebody who holds a different opinion. A proferssor in a scientific debat lowering himself to those measures is no longer a "respected" professor. And yes, of course there is a difference between purposeful exaggeration that people can clearly perceive as not meant completely seriously and calling everybody with a different opinion a "troll."

Personal attacks are of course out of question, but opinions should still be open for funmaking, because sometimes people notice flaws of their ideas best when it's presented in humorous light. It has happened to me and it has happened to many others. It's just up to you if you're ready to admit your mistake or just want to continue argument even though you have already lost it in your mind too.

If we just go around respecting every opinion then what is learned in the process?

Tolerance, non-violence?

This is getting to a whole new level.:D

By that I meant that every opinion and idea should be open for discussion and debate, even humor. If that idea endures through all the counterarguments, jokes and funmaking, then it probably is worth the respect, but unfortunately not every idea deserves that. I think tolerance and respect are something to earn, not something every idea has in beginning.

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg