Update #17: Brian Fargo from inXile Kicks In, Obsidian Kicks it Forward, New $165 Tier, and Expansion

Hurmm... Have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

Its good news to know that Wasteland 2 and a proper expansion pack will be coming out. However, the latter could had been announced after the kickstarter ends since people would be complaining that Obsidian would seem to be holding back funds to make a full game. Furthermore, there's no information at all about this expansion.

Overall, great news for including Wasteland 2, really a bad timing for announcing an expansion pack.

This campaign is too top-heavy and has been from the start. There is almost no value in the range between

Now, I know Kickstarter isn't a store, Kickstarter isn't something you're "buying from", etc etc and so forth.

But their goal is obviously to include new incentives to raise pledges, and they're doing absolutely *nothing* to make it enticing for people on the lower end to raise their pledges a moderate amount.

I'm sitting on $20, and the next tier that seems at all tempting is $120 away from my starting point. They really need to build a staircase of value between the two to try and make the climb seem less arduous.

I'm not saying this for me, as stuff I want. I'm saying that if they want to actually raise a larger number of their pledges, for the game's sake they have to look a bit lower.

• Like 6

I'm sitting on $20, and the next tier that seems at all tempting is $120 away from my starting point.

So you're sitting on the equivalent of a trip-and-a-half at Starbucks, you've got a game that would retail for more than twenty bucks and you're whining? Sheesh.

sonsofgygax.JPG

This campaign is too top-heavy and has been from the start. There is almost no value in the range between

Now, I know Kickstarter isn't a store, Kickstarter isn't something you're "buying from", etc etc and so forth.

But their goal is obviously to include new incentives to raise pledges, and they're doing absolutely *nothing* to make it enticing for people on the lower end to raise their pledges a moderate amount.

I'm sitting on $20, and the next tier that seems at all tempting is $120 away from my starting point. They really need to build a staircase of value between the two to try and make the climb seem less arduous.

I'm not saying this for me, as stuff I want. I'm saying that if they want to actually raise a larger number of their pledges, for the game's sake they have to look a bit lower.

I guess the question to my mind, considering shipping for physical items, what could they add to lower end users that hasn't already attracted your attention (like the digital soundtrack or art book or backer achievement).

because it seems like the stuff people are responding to are the big tier stuff.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I do love the drama the expansion announcement has caused. People have started threathening to pull out/downgrade again for not being able to afford it.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Several comments on kickstarter are bringing up the issue of this expansion being day one DLC held for high ransom and I gotta agree......this move is a bit too greedy and inaccessible.

Its six months later, probably more.

So you're sitting on the equivalent of a trip-and-a-half at Starbucks, you've got a game that would retail for more than twenty bucks and you're whining? Sheesh.

He's not whining, he's offering constructive criticism. There's a difference.

Furthermore, there's no information at all about this expansion.

They said it will be made in the spirit of the Infinity Engine expansion packs.

Tales of the Sword Coast was awesome. So was Heart of Winter + Trials of the Luremaster. 'Nuff said.

I guess the question to my mind, considering shipping for physical items, what could they add to lower end users that hasn't already attracted your attention (like the digital soundtrack or art book or backer achievement).

because it seems like the stuff people are responding to are the big tier stuff.

Well considering the core game digital download is on KS for $20, I'd guess the expansion will go for $10 as a digital download, so why not make an Addon on KS that people on any tier can add to their pledge? This way the 45k people in the $20-50 pledge range might be enticed to increase their pledge by $10.

• Like 2

Yeah.....that was uncalled for imo....most are not liking this approach to the expansion....seems a bit pushy.

1zq6793.jpg

We beg to differ. The dude is saying "I want more for less." Like a game like this pops up every other month. I upped my pledge over the weekend knowing it wouldn't get me to another tier because I support the Kickstarter.

sonsofgygax.JPG

We beg to differ. The dude is saying "I want more for less." Like a game like this pops up every other month. I upped my pledge over the weekend knowing it wouldn't get me to another tier because I support the Kickstarter.

I understand, I myself am pledging $168 but the $165 move for the expansion is still a bit much. Not saying it should be given at $20 tier but maybe as a separate addon for $10 or included from $100/$110 and up.

1zq6793.jpg

I do love the drama the expansion announcement has caused. People have started threathening to pull out/downgrade again for not being able to afford it.

Why can't they wait until it's released?

Beats me. Perhaps Obsidian should clarify about how that thing works specifically since people actually seem to think it's a day one DLC and are raging about it.

Here's for some of you (from the update #17 comments):

obsidian-logo-ks.small.jpg?1346793997

Creator Obsidian Entertainment 1 minute ago

All the funding that we receive from Kickstarter and PayPal will be used to make the base game - No money raised will be used for funding the expansion in any way.

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Well considering the core game digital download is on KS for $20, I'd guess the expansion will go for $10 as a digital download, so why not make an Addon on KS that people on any tier can add to their pledge? This way the 45k people in the $20-50 pledge range might be enticed to increase their pledge by $10.

$20 was a special limited time. It's not even available any more. $25 is also a limited time for during the Kickstarter.

The problem with selling the expansion at a low price in the kickstarter is the kickstarter funds are going towards the main game. This is the accounting that has me worried. The expansion is probably depending on post-kickstarter sales to even get funded. Kickstarter pledges don't go to it.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Which is fair enough; having already backed Wasteland 2, I have a hard time justifying raising my pledge to get the expansion but certainly would raise it if I could access the expansion, I think.

That said I was thinking of what other things than getting stuff from the other tiers (but fair enough a digital expansion dl would work).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm gunna be another one tossing my hat in the ring for getting the expansion as an add-on.

I'm already at the 140$ tier + international shipping. I'd gladly throw another 20-40$ at the kickstarter for an expansion now, as I'll most likely be buying it later anyway... but I can't afford the jump to the next non-digital tier.

• Like 1