Update #17: Brian Fargo from inXile Kicks In, Obsidian Kicks it Forward, New $165 Tier, and Expansion

I am happy if it gets Obsidian more money but I think they'd be more successful if the expansion was included with the $140 or if they had it available as a separate add-on to the pledge for an extra $10-$20.....it seems to mainly try to force the hand of the $140 pledgers to go to $250 but there's only ~2400 of them and over 40k pledgers under $50. A lot of people would get it as a separate addon and more would jump to $140 than are likely to jump to $165 due to the boxed CE. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 7

1zq6793.jpg

I think this is a great update, and yeah, B-Farg is an amazing guy for allowing this. Speaks volumes about how great he is. He truly is the god-jesus of video games I saw him described as on a forum yesterday.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the expansion at $165, it just seems a bit high to me. I'm at $80 just now and have been considering going to $110 in the last few days but I backed Wasteland and more than doubling my pledge for an expansion just doesn't scan for me I'm afraid. Maybe the $110 but with no Wasteland 2 would have been better? I'd have liked to have seen it broken up a little that way personally, I imagine a lot of PE backers backed W2 as well and I think the expansion at a slightly lower tier might make more of them up pledges. Or maybe offer the expansion as an add-on? Maybe around $20-$30? I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I realise everyone is in a different situation with how much they have/can pledge but I don't think I can bring myself to stretch to that $165 tier. $110 maybe but not that far :(

Other than that, first class again Obsidian. Aloth looks amazing. Best concept art yet IMO.

High-Priest of Funk of the Obsidian Order

lol I'm doing something I swore to myself I wouldn't do, but I'm actually leaning on friends to pledge. "Okay, [name deleted], you need to go look at the project eternity kickstarter page. The lowest price is 25 bucks and that includes the retail version of the game. You can't tell me you would rather pay 50-60 at reatil than 25. Just sayin'." His excuse is that he just bought a beemer and all new kitchen appliances. I've bought new tiers for other friends as gifts, but he's a cheap bastard and he's going to buy his own game. If you can afford a new car, you can dish out 25 bucks for this project. I've already been spamming info on facebook, but even there I'm getting a little pushy. "Okay, there's not much time for folks to pledge for Project Eternity. Now, some of you might not understand, but it's not 'donating' money to the Project. The game is already fully funded, so if you pledge money at the beginning, which you can do through Amazon, you will get the game at a discount and, depending on what you pledge, you will also get added benefits and other things. Please consider pledging to Project Eternity. You'd end up with a great game at far lower prices than retail and you'll have a chance to move the industry toward quality development. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity" My wife has graciously, if no knowingly, decided to help also. It's getting down to crunch time and we need to figure out how to pull out all the stops. As our personal outlay dwindles, we need to figure out ways to encourage friends to buy into the project.

• Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I think including the Expansion as an Add-on on KS would pull in a much bigger increase in pledges.

The Expansion is being made regardless of increases in pledges at this stage, right?

Adding it for free to $165 tiers and above is great but is really only a bonus for those people.

The majority of pledges are in the $20-$50 range, surely making an Addon at $10-$15 for the expansion could pull in big numbers from the people in those lower tiers. Far more likely 10k poeple would increase their pledge by $10-$15 than by $100.

• Like 2

Well, on one hand, I'm pleased by the news. On the other hand, uhm, isn't it too soon to plan for an expansion? Obsidian has to be EXTREMELY careful with the planning there, they have no publisher delaying the project (in other words: give them more money) if they hit snags during development, and how are they even going to fund the expansion in the first place? What if the game isn't a success? Are they going to tell people who spent $165 "ooops, no expansion, we guess"?

I don't really want to sound like a spoilsport, and I understand that they're trying to raise enthusiasm but.. yeah, any way to assuage my fears?

• Like 1

Ha ha ha they are soooo close to get me to up my pledge it's becoming a sort of game of brinkmanship. What other stretch goals and / or goodies will hove into view before I crack.

It is, I admit, a pleasant dilemma even if I really can't afford it.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well, on one hand, I'm pleased by the news. On the other hand, uhm, isn't it too soon to plan for an expansion? Obsidian has to be EXTREMELY careful with the planning there, they have no publisher delaying the project (in other words: give them more money) if they hit snags during development, and how are they even going to fund the expansion in the first place? What if the game isn't a success? Are they going to tell people who spent $165 "ooops, no expansion, we guess"?

I don't really want to sound like a spoilsport, and I understand that they're trying to raise enthusiasm but.. yeah, any way to assuage my fears?

Let's put it this way --- reputationally they would be pretty stupid to promise something they can't deliver. Furthermore, you me and that bloke sitting over there all know that this game is going to be a hit. Apres-Kickstarter sales will be solid.

sonsofgygax.JPG

My gut instinct, WUE, is that they wouldn't have offered it if they hadn't budgeted enough money to figure that they'll have more ideas that they can develop than time before the first release. Even if it tanks, they're likely to be working on the x-pac even as the initial game ships. IF there are complaints about problems with the initial game, they'll wrap up a big patch into the xpac. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Will the XP come in multiple copies? Say your reward tier includes multiple downloads of the main game, would the same apply to the XP?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

interplay-1983-torment-1999.jpg

You'd figure M. Bison / Vega had bigger things to do with Shadaloo than to spend time working on Planescape: Torment, but there you are.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm kind of curious as to the accounting. They have got to be anticipating sales to support an expansion, the kickstarter funds are going to the main game. That's okay, but what kind of sales are necessary to independently fund a solid expansion?
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

For the love of all that's holy, can we get one full game without expansions packs?

No, I know we won't, but I can complain, right?

Ahem. This needs to be as an add-on pledge too. People won't give up their physical maps, books and boxes just to get an expansion pack which they can buy later anyway (and the next physical tier is $110 away, that's a little too much for Wasteland 2 + expansion pack, don't you think?)

Now think about it. You have ~48k people who pledged less than $100. If there's an ounce of economical thought in them, they won't raise their pledge by $65+ for the new rewards - especially not people in the range $20-50, where the majority of backers is located. These are the people whose pledges you want to raise, but you won't achieve it with this update.

I'll happily pay for the expansion pack (I still need that Adventurer's Hall...), but I won't triple my pledge to get it...

Unless I misunderstood, which is possible, the wait is only for those that don't get it through pledging....

Everybody gets the expansion pack at the same time (6 months after release), but you can pay for it in advance.

Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 1

How could this be day one DLC? It will be released 6 months after the game...

Unless I misunderstood, which is possible, the wait is only for those that don't get it through pledging....

You did misunderstand. The wait is for everyone.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't know, last time I checked, the only IE game to not get an expansion was Planescape: Torment, and I don't think many fans would have complained about one. I really don't have a problem about an expansion, since I expect they won't really be able to cram all the content they can think of in an expansion, and this will give them something to look forward and also an excuse to keep focused on a smaller scope (more polish).

But yeah, my fear is basically that they're being too aggressively optimistic with projections (which seems weird given that they didn't predict the obvious day-1 success of the project).

EDIT: I apologize for my posts feeling kind of disjointed, but the thread moves fast and it's kind of difficult to reply to single posts.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

How could this be day one DLC? It will be released 6 months after the game...

You did misunderstand. The wait is for everyone.

Then I don't really care, I'll pay at release but my points stand.....more would pre-pay now if available separately and/or included at $140.

1zq6793.jpg