Update #17: Brian Fargo from inXile Kicks In, Obsidian Kicks it Forward, New $165 Tier, and Expansion

With only seven days left on the Project Eternity Kickstarter, we want to start the last week off with some pretty incredible things to announce. You might not know that Brian Fargo is the guy who gave many of us our start in the games industry – myself (Feargus), Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, Scott Everts, Brian Menze, Chris Jones, Chris Parker, Darren Monahan – and the list keeps on going from there. He also gave the guys who started a little company called Silicon & Synapse their first few projects – pretty crazy to think that little company is now Blizzard Entertainment.

interplay-1983-torment-1999.jpg

Personally, we are incredibly thankful to him and for the second wave of Kickstarter attention he brought with Wasteland 2. But, Brian hasn’t stopped being the great guy that he is, and so, he’s helping us out by letting us add Wasteland 2 as a reward at our higher tiers. So, what tiers will that be? A lot of you have asked for a digital tier after $110, so we are adding a $165 Digital Only Tier. That means Wasteland 2 will get added to this new $165 tier and all the tiers above.

What we are also doing is adding the first expansion pack for the game to the $165 Tier (and above). The expansion will come out approximately six months after Project Eternity is released. That’s right, it’s not DLC, but a real honest to God RPG expansion pack. We don’t have the details on the Expansion yet, but you can bet it will be what you’d expect from an Infinity Engine game expansion.

With all that Brian has done for us in the past and his incredibly generous offer, we also want to kick something in. To do that we are now supporting Brian's Kicking It Forward initiative. The Kickstarter community is pretty amazing and we want to help whomever we can be as successful as we have been.

kicking-it-forward.png

For those of you that missed the announcement over the weekend, we will be adding another level to the Mega Dungeon if we hit 20,000 Likes on Obsidian's Facebook page. We are getting close to halfway there!

That’s a lot for today, and we have so much more coming up tomorrow. Maybe some new stretch goals, maybe some new add-ons, or heck maybe all of that! Stay tuned all of this week as we ramp up to the Project Eternity Kickstarter finish next Tuesday, October 16th with an all-day live video stream from Obsidian. We are trying to get Tim to do the cooking!

Oh, and we also owe everyone an update that goes through everything you get at each of the tiers listed out with a bit more detail than we can squeeze in on the front page of our Kickstarter site. We will get that update out in the next few days, but to tide everyone over – we’ve attached the full concept for Aloth below.

aloth-med.jpg

Have a great week everyone!

Update by Feargus Urquhart

• Like 3

Already got Wasteland 2 coming as I'm sure many pledgers have as well.

But it's great I get an extra copy!

I'll try to convert a lucky infidel to the glory of RPG :sorcerer:

I'd almost forget...

EXPANSION PACK **** YEAH !!

Edited by Maf

A nice bonus for people like me who didn't get around to the WL2 KS.

And I love that '83 Interplay picture. :lol: Hehe...the 80's. I still miss the 80's.

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hmm, too bad I already have a couple o' those Wasteland 2's cooking up for me. The "real honest to god expansion" sounds... intriguing, although somewhat odd at the same time given where the developement of the core game is at this point. Anyways, good going and looking forward to tomorrows update.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

That’s right, it’s not DLC, but a real honest to God RPG expansion pack. We don’t have the details on the Expansion yet, but you can bet it will be what you’d expect from an Infinity Engine game expansion.

Hell yeah!

Seriously, you guys rock. :thumbsup:

Edited by aVENGER

Just curious: have they done an X-play interview yet? The show is on at odd hours so I only get to see a few of the episodes. :)

Great news on that expansion pack! Huzzah!

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This is great, especially the Wasteland 2 game, since I haven't used kickstarter in the past and didn't really know much about it. There really isn't anything in here that compels me to increase my pledge, There's probably no new bumps that will get me to increase my base tier, but there may be add-ons that could, conceivably, get me to increase my pledge. I'm with aVENGER. I'm damned happy to hear about the xpac. My experience with dlc is kind of 'meh.'

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hopefully these announcements get a good last week surge. I am really surprised by the Wasteland 2 announcement.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Mixed feelings here.....I can easily upgrade to $165 tier(presently pledging 168) by adding $5 but then I'd have to give up the boxed CE(which is not happening) yet since I can't afford the $250 tier I lose out on the expansion pack and 6 months seems like a very long time to wait.

I really don't like this update though I look forward to the next stretch goals and such....

1zq6793.jpg

A REAL expansion pack YAY <3

Truth. I've played some pretty good DLC's but I definitely miss the "real" expansion pack concept.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Obsidian, you cunning devils.

Now I really want the expansion pack but also really really want the cloth map. I would have upgraded to 165 if it had somehow gotten me both the cloth map and the xpack. Now I guess I have to go for the 250$ reward that I've been contemplating for a while.

My moneys. Take all of it. :(

Edit: Damnit, 288 is just too much. Sticking at 168.

Edited by RiceMunk

Mixed feelings here.....I can easily upgrade to $165 tier(presently pledging 168) by adding $5 but then I'd have to give up the boxed CE(which is not happening) yet since I can't afford the $250 tier I lose out on the expansion pack and 6 months seems like a very long time to wait.

This. If I could get the XP with the boxed CE, I'd definitely move up to that tier, but I want a boxed copy and $250 is just too much for me ($140 is pushing it, honestly...though if the game was turn-based...)

Any chance of getting the XP as an add-on?

Most excellent, seems i already got the expansion pack reserved. Either way, an interesting update indeed. But to get that last lunge of pledges like WS2 and Double Fine got you really need to step it up on one final, great stretch goal.

I already put money down for wasteland 2 (which most of us here probably have done), I got in on the early bird for $20, I do not really need all the extra swag stuff besides the game. I cannot justify $140 price increase. if there was something just for the game and expansion for say $50, then I could do that. However, its just more economical to buy the expansion later.

Good update. As this one misses me on several angles I'm hard-pressed to cheer it on too much...

but I think Brian Fargo is being really generous here, and Obsidian pledging to Kick It Forward is very heartening.

Already have copies of W2 coming, but I guess I get one more....

bah, spoke too soon. I don't want the digital only tier. Guess I'll be buying the expansion the old-fashioned way.

Edited by Merin