Do you want drugs in the game?  

310 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want drugs in the game?

• Yes, I want lots of drugs!
    • Nahh man, drugs are bad!
    • I don't care either way.

When the society is advanced enough to care about such things, illegal drugs are nice quest-hooks offerring plenty of opportunities for quests on either side in the smuggling / drug-related crimes scene. In a more archaic world, where every man is for himself, and crimes are only prosecuted by the victims (assuming they still are able to do so), it doesn't make much sense that there are "illegal" drugs.

Without illegality, a "drug" is just a fancy named potion.

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

When the society is advanced enough to care about such things, illegal drugs are nice quest-hooks offerring plenty of opportunities for quests on either side in the smuggling / drug-related crimes scene. In a more archaic world, where every man is for himself, and crimes are only prosecuted by the victims (assuming they still are able to do so), it doesn't make much sense that there are "illegal" drugs.

Without illegality, a "drug" is just a fancy named potion.

In medieval Germany, the church was responsible for establishing the first purity laws as to how beer should be brewed. The reason behind this was that beer used to be brewed with everything from intoxicating mushrooms and berries to ash. The ensuing loss of control of the drunk was too offensive to the authorities ;)

Every society, culture past present and future have drugs in one form or another.

Go back to ancient times when people used to eat plants because they 'healed'.

So yes, drugs should be in the game whether they're used for benefit or for misuse (think tobacco/alcohol - there pastime drugs and legal most places).

So it wouldn't surprise me in any "human" representation of a society even a fantasy one can have drugs.

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

In medieval Germany, the church was responsible for establishing the first purity laws as to how beer should be brewed. The reason behind this was that beer used to be brewed with everything from intoxicating mushrooms and berries to ash. The ensuing loss of control of the drunk was too offensive to the authorities ;)

Actually it was Emperor Barbarossa of the HRE who released the first version of a beer purity law in the 12th century, the city state Weimar, and the duchey of Landshut followed with their own specific purity requirements in the 14th and 15th century. in the early 16th century it became a state law in the kingdom of Bavaria,

You're insofar right, that the south german abbeys actually were the inventors of today's beer for their own use, supposedly some of them made a pilgrimage, carrying open barrels of beer to rome, and convinced the pope that this disgsting stale beverage is a proper drink for lenten season.

Edited by JOG

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

If they put them in, fine. BG2 had drugs in a minor portion of it just as something to add to a particular setting, but they weren't focused on. I'm okay with the type in Fallout 1, too, that you could use to temporarily boost stats. What I would not like to see is a game with a focus on drugs because I find it uninteresting. Keep them in the background for the most part if they get put in.

• Like 1

Let mana potions or stamina or health potions have druglike side effects. They can be temporary or just subtle at start. While it does help you in that particular moment, if one heavily rely on such it might wreac havoc on ones physique or mental or soul in PE context.

• Like 2

magic021.jpg

Barbarian taking mushrooms and going berserker seems reasonable.

Cyphers taking vast quantities of opiates to keep the voices out also works.

and monks well the less said about them their antics the better

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

Never used things that were "branded" as drugs in computergames, no skooma, no pills in fallout universe and I guess I wouldn't do it in P:E as well. Probably because I always feared something that is labeled drugs to have very high and negative sideeffects I didn't want to risk (and if it only does affect your combat-abilities, it is even more useless as you can always just reload without negative consequences :D).

But then again you do not have to "brand" something to be a drug anyway, you can call it medication and you don't have to make it illegal in the game (as there will be no cars anyway :D If something is illegal, I guess it should have good reasons that fit in the scenario for that).

I think drugs fit the theme for the fallout games, at least in my mind, a bit more than they do here. However, I really don't care either way. If it's something the devs could seamlessly integrate into the world, and make it feel right, then that's fine by me.

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift