descriptive text VS spoken text

181 members have voted

1. 1. which style of writing do you prefer?

• Dialogue mixed with a lot of descriptive text (like planescape:torment)
    • Dialogue only, with very rare instances of description (like baldur's gate)

new here, hi everybody.

i did not find a topic about this so sorry if it has been already discussed, or answered.

anyway- what would you prefer regarding text in game? spoken lines only (like baldurs gate) or greater amount of descriptive text mixed with spoken lines (like planescape torment)?

i prefer planescape style, it allows for far greater immersion and presents all those little things that cannot be animated with 2D sprites (facial expression, interaction with items etc.). of course, i would love to see character as animated as possible, but some thing are far greater when described in text and thus left to the imagination of the player.

You know what, I had never played an Elder Scrolls game until Skyrim, minus an hr I put into Oblivion and was just too bored to continue, but anyways- I really liked how Skyrim handled their legendary item quests where you find the item that starts the quest and the gods talk to you in dialog and send you on your journey, and it mixes up the reading with the ambiguous deity. Things like that, and the Sentient weapons in BG2 were fantastic. I always wanted a sentient magical bow that shot fireballs or lightning bolts.

Baldur's Gate = Pure dialogic text

Planescape: Torment = Dialogic with narrative text

I prefer PS:T because the narrative descriptions paint very distinct visuals (e.g. body language) that the sprites and dialogue simply cannot do. And no, that's definitely not an argument to add 3D zoom-in cut-scene models. Yuck.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Defintely dialogue only. I mean, this is a video game, right?. Latin 'videre' = to see, to watch. There should usually be very little need for descriptive walls of text like in PST since the whole purpose of a video game is the graphical depiction and representation of the game world and all of its contents. If I wanted walls of text on a screen I'd buy a Kindle off Amazon and be done with it ;) .

Seriously, it is a sign of bad game design IMHO if a video game requires a lot of descriptive texts. Then the developers have chosen the wrong engine or the wrong technology (or they've just been plain lazy :D ) if they are inept to create a fitting graphical representation of the game's content.

Defintely dialogue only. I mean, this is a video game, right?. Latin 'videre' = to see, to watch. There should usually be very little need for descriptive walls of text like in PST since the whole purpose of a video game is the graphical depiction and representation of the game world and all of its contents. If I wanted walls of text on a screen I'd buy a Kindle off Amazon and be done with it ;) .

Seriously, it is a sign of bad game design IMHO if a video game requires a lot of descriptive texts. Then the developers have chosen the wrong engine or the wrong technology (or they've just been plain lazy :D ) if they are inept to create a fitting graphical representation of the game's content.

This is no different than saying a video game (video) should have lots of cinematic cut-scenes and talking 3D heads and full VO. It's just a step removed. :p

Tone can be somewhat conveyed in typographical application, but it'd be nice to see the occasional narrative text as well, e.g. the elderly Hive lady standing with her hands on her hips. PS:T is one extreme, so something between BG and PS:T would be my favorite.

• Like 2

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

if you don't want to read a lot of text, I have a feeling this is not the game you are looking for.

• Like 3

I voted for BG style but hey if the devs can afford to go that way with regards to VO then I am happy, either way, interestingly I think I remember reading in an interview one of the devs mentioned reactive text and a focus on this in particular (like the reactive text seen in Fallout 2 in New Reno).

So depending on just how much reactive text is used in PE the devs may opt for BG style VO, now if this is true then I would MUCH much rather a heavy focus towards reactive vs PS:T style VO.

if you don't want to read a lot of text, I have a feeling this is not the game you are looking for.

Ah. That comment brought a smile to my face, thanks ogrezilla, very true.

Yet some people like the text in BG2 but not the text in PS:T. Also I think the IWD fans might be more interested in combat? I'm fine with both styles as long as the dialog focuses on your choice rather than only giving you a fixed book to read. Somewhere in the middle of PS:T and BG2 for me I think.

Edited by qstoffe
  • Like 2

new here, hi everybody.

i did not find a topic about this so sorry if it has been already discussed, or answered.

anyway- what would you prefer regarding text in game? spoken lines only (like baldurs gate) or greater amount of descriptive text mixed with spoken lines (like planescape torment)?

i prefer planescape style, it allows for far greater immersion and presents all those little things that cannot be animated with 2D sprites (facial expression, interaction with items etc.). of course, i would love to see character as animated as possible, but some thing are far greater when described in text and thus left to the imagination of the player.

Can you explain a bit more for those of us who have never played Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate?

What do you mean by "spoken lines only" vs "descriptive text" - perhaps you can provide an example?

Kinda spoilery if you want to play either (especially BG), but good examples if you aren't going to.

Can you explain a bit more for those of us who have never played Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate?

What do you mean by "spoken lines only" vs "descriptive text" - perhaps you can provide an example?

Planescape: Torment example (note the descriptive narrative text interspersed with dialogic content)

post-42001-0-11963700-1349740914_thumb.jpg

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn example (note the pure dialogic content)

post-42001-0-14270100-1349741038_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like both !

Yeah, I'd be fine with either. Having the descriptions of what the speaker is doing (Torment style) is nice, given that the visuals aren't going to convey this information, but the more streamlined BG system gets the job done adequately. Which system would work better for P:E will probably depend on the narrative and pacing of the game. If the game is more combat focused, the sparse feel of BG style dialogue would probably fit the feel of the game better. If the game is more contemplative, then the slower, more detailed approach used in Torment would probably be the way to go. Since I'm assuming this game will be somewhere in the middle, maybe a compromise between the two would be the way to go. That is, a system that doesn't pile on the text like in PS:T but that still includes some description to paint the scene for the player.

In the end, I'm sure the writers will know which style will work best for P:E. They know the game the best and have a lot of experience with writing dialogue for different kinds of RPGs.

• Like 2

I like both !

Yeah, I'd be fine with either. Having the descriptions of what the speaker is doing (Torment style) is nice, given that the visuals aren't going to convey this information, but the more streamlined BG system gets the job done adequately. Which system would work better for P:E will probably depend on the narrative and pacing of the game. If the game is more combat focused, the sparse feel of BG style dialogue would probably fit the feel of the game better. If the game is more contemplative, then the slower, more detailed approach used in Torment would probably be the way to go. Since I'm assuming this game will be somewhere in the middle, maybe a compromise between the two would be the way to go. That is, a system that doesn't pile on the text like in PS:T but that still includes some description to paint the scene for the player.

In the end, I'm sure the writers will know which style will work best for P:E. They know the game the best and have a lot of experience with writing dialogue for different kinds of RPGs.

Well said, I think that would be great :)

Either way can work perfectly well, and I like them both -- but I loved reading all the descriptive bits in edition to the dialogue in Planescape: Torment. It gave a much different feeling. Of course, that feeling might not be appropriate for the game, and so whichever works best for it is in the end what I'd prefer, be it one or the other or somewhere in between. In a vacuum, though, I prefer lots of descriptive text.

knightofchaoss.jpg

Definitely Panescape: Torment Style with paused dialogue windows and floating text above the NPCs in real-time.For example Arcanum style of dialogues in real time got sometimes too messy.

Edited by Ywerion

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.