This class is modeled after the traditional Trickster god of mythology. It combines many of the bardic skills of entertainment and social manipulation with the arts of the illusionist and prestidigitator. Like a rogue, a trickster is skilled at opening locks, concealing himself, and sneaking about, but is also capable of magically hiding his form and suddenly reappearing elsewhere. Unlike the rogue, a Trickster is unskilled at backstabbing or crippling a foe, but is often a highly capable fencer and knife thrower. He can disguise his form, pass through a crowd unseen, convincingly fake his death, and cast potent phantasmal spells of deception and illusion.

Would that be a character worth including in a party?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I like the concept a lot, but I'd prefer it to be a rogue (or perhaps mage) kit or specialization rather than a separate class, and I don't like the idea of the Trickster being unskilled at backstabbing or crippling foes (the Trickster should excel at such things).

Despite the liberties taken with the source mythology, I enjoyed Thor (the Marvel flilm) and particularly liked the manner in which Loki fought in the movie (speed, illusion, trickery, etc). That's what your post brought to mind. ;)

• Like 1

As someone that loves Arcane Tricksters/Arcane Archers with a healthy does of social utility, it's hard to not agree.

I'd like it more if reworked to fit the image of a Gypsy.

I think it would be more appealing.

Dear lord, no. Who the hell would want to be a gypsy?

t50aJUd.jpg

As someone that loves Arcane Tricksters/Arcane Archers with a healthy does of social utility, it's hard to not agree.

I'd like it more if reworked to fit the image of a Gypsy.

I think it would be more appealing.

Dear lord, no. Who the hell would want to be a gypsy?

Gypsy term means different things to different people; I find the impression the US gets with respect to gypsy's and gypsy culture is vastly different to, say, someone living in eastern Europe.

But I'd rule out gypsy just simply because it so strongly refers to a real world ethnicity / culture. Be a bit like having one of your classes called "Africans" or "German".

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sure, gypsy, carney, stage magician, vaudeville actor, jester, shadowcaster, illusionist, arcane trickster, scam artist, deceiver, mysterion, what have you. :ninja: Just a name that captures the bard/illusionist/trickery combo.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I can see this being a path of a Rogue. Hmm....

I would love to see the kind of "Class Upgrade" thing we see in the very first Final Fantasy, but in a more IE game way. You create your Class as you play. In another thread (I think it was "The Role of a Rogue") someone said "Can't we all start off as commoners?" (jokingly), well why not? Starting off as a "Commoner Rogue" (in a sense, the title would still be Rogue) but as you level up, choose your skills etc. etc. you'd later become a Trickster (still titled Rogue in-game). Then again I'm either for or against my suggested "method", just throwing it out there.

Which takes me to my next thought/discussion subject Titles, yes, no? (Should be it's own topic?)

@rjshae don't forget Mesmer

To be fair, Mesmer is based on a guy's name - Franz Mesmer - and even with in-game lore supporting the use of the term, I think some people would be thrown out by it. I'd stick to class names that aren't people's names and aren't racial/ethnic group names.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man