Baldur's Gate enhanced edition

Dezloc

"I'm sure this is obvious, but they clearly talk about the "open-world" wilderness areas BG2 (happily) lacks. "

Then why mention storyline? BG's storyline is more linear than BG2's. That's a fact jack.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, as I've said. For some reason my BG hasn't worked on my computer. BG:EE is my only way to play it. BG2 does work, though.

Yep, haven't played BG1 since 2001-2002.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Haven't we known that BG1 and BG2 spawning systems are different since Tutu and BGT? It's been so long since I've played vanilla BG1. When you're talking about reduced monster numbers, is that reduced from BG1 or from Tutu/BGT? That swarm of 20 gibberlings right after Elminster on the coast road was always a little rough when playing Tutu.

Edited by Deraldin

Haven't we known that BG1 and BG2 spawning systems are different since Tutu and BGT? It's been so long since I've played vanilla BG1. When you're talking about reduced monster numbers, is that reduced from BG1 or from Tutu/BGT? That swarm of 20 gibberlings right after Elminster on the coast road was always a little rough when playing Tutu.

Yes, but they finetuned it a bit too much in the other direction. :p

Again, been 10 years since I last played BG1, but getting attacked by a single xvart seems a bit... easy.

Edited by Nepenthe

The Gnolless Stronghold? Dynaheir, what are you doing? Get out of there... :p

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I dont get it. Its just a cat watching a cursor move. Is there something funny Im missing?

It's cute, but it would have been more funny if the cat was stamping its paws on the keyboard and at the monitor or something. :)

Well, as I've said. For some reason my BG hasn't worked on my computer. BG:EE is my only way to play it. BG2 does work, though.

Even the GoG version of BG1?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yes, but they finetuned it a bit too much in the other direction. :p

Again, been 10 years since I last played BG1, but getting attacked by a single xvart seems a bit... easy.

A single xvart? What's the point? *thunk* Oh look, the mage managed to kill it with his sling before it got close enough to attack. :/

A single xvart? What's the point? *thunk* Oh look, the mage managed to kill it with his sling before it got close enough to attack. :/

Hence, it's a bug (and a reported known issue that's going to be fixed). :p

But the Beta testers said that's how it was meant to be!!! It's a feature, not a bug. :p

Seriously, I think the beta testers who are also modders are more likely to be biased in playing BG1 with mods with OP items and everything else that's wrong with mods that they've forgotten what the original BG1 played like.

Oh look, a treasure pile with a Scimitar +2 that's been duplicated from the same scimitar from Durlag's Tower, left in the open in the Cloakwood Forest totally unguarded and no monsters around. What was the point in putting this in and so early in the game? +2 weapons are supposed to be rare, not sitting out in the open. Or at least having to fight monsters to get it. :rolleyes:

Hiro you just don't know the story behind that sword. Actually during an helpless fight against dozen of Xvart an adventurer in his last breath put his sword in this treasure pile thinking "may this sword be useful to the son/daughter of a god" (yeah he had tips from Avernus).

http://forum.baldurs...ate-1-0-2010/p1

New patch released. Patch notes:

* Improved Creature spawn system

* Large multiplayer bugfix

* Journal entry fix

* Fixed for zoomed out and click out of bounds crash

* Custom portrait in multiplayer game fix

* Numerous UI fixes

* Farsight scroll fix

* Obe combat tutorial fix

There are more fixes in this update that will be detailed soon. Thank you to everyone who sent in crash dumps and bug reports, these have been very helpful!

Hiro, curious, what section of the Cloakwood is that sword located at?

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

But the Beta testers said that's how it was meant to be!!! It's a feature, not a bug. :p

Seriously, I think the beta testers who are also modders are more likely to be biased in playing BG1 with mods with OP items and everything else that's wrong with mods that they've forgotten what the original BG1 played like.

Oh look, a treasure pile with a Scimitar +2 that's been duplicated from the same scimitar from Durlag's Tower, left in the open in the Cloakwood Forest totally unguarded and no monsters around. What was the point in putting this in and so early in the game? +2 weapons are supposed to be rare, not sitting out in the open. Or at least having to fight monsters to get it. :rolleyes:

Eh, you can get Varscona way earlier. And it's a scimitar, ffs.

http://forum.baldurs...ate-1-0-2010/p1

New patch released. Patch notes:

* Improved Creature spawn system

* Large multiplayer bugfix

* Journal entry fix

* Fixed for zoomed out and click out of bounds crash

* Custom portrait in multiplayer game fix

* Numerous UI fixes

* Farsight scroll fix

* Obe combat tutorial fix

There are more fixes in this update that will be detailed soon. Thank you to everyone who sent in crash dumps and bug reports, these have been very helpful!

Hiro, curious, what section of the Cloakwood is that sword located at?

I must say the guys at Overhaul are pumping out the patches. You can't fault there commitment to stabilizing the game.

At this rate I'll be buying BG:EE in the next 2-3 weeks :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

In addition:

Zoom saving is on the to-do list.

The current monster spawn solution is based on # of party members and level of those characters. If effectively adds them up and spawns creatures accordingly. If you are solo and low level the spawns will be light. As well, in original BG some of the creatures were placed in the area and do not use the spawn system, so they will be unchanged.

Best,

-Trent

*one post later in response to a complaint about the launcher*

We're working on the launcher. It will get better. I am going to ensure it gets better even if we have to rewrite it.

-Trent

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Varscona is a longsword FFS. And you have to go through certain dialogue options and fight Greywolf FFS. Not having it out in the open just sitting there FFS. As I said, the modders like to have OP items in the game and the Scimitar +2 Rashad's Talon is just sitting there in the Cloackwood Forest, no monsters around, no challenge, just another OP item that you can get without any skill. FFS.

In addition:

The current monster spawn solution is based on # of party members and level of those characters. If effectively adds them up and spawns creatures accordingly. If you are solo and low level the spawns will be light. As well, in original BG some of the creatures were placed in the area and do not use the spawn system, so they will be unchanged.

Best,

-Trent

So if you have a party of six, the number of monsters will now scale to your party. If you find the need to do a solo game, there will hardly be any monsters around. No more challenge for solo players. Some of these updates don't make sense.

Varscona is a longsword FFS. And you have to go through certain dialogue options and fight Greywolf FFS. Not having it out in the open just sitting there FFS. As I said, the modders like to have OP items in the game and the Scimitar +2 Rashad's Talon is just sitting there in the Cloackwood Forest, no monsters around, no challenge, just another OP item that you can get without any skill. FFS.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Seriously, though, it's an item type few people are going to have any critical character trained in, and it's a +1 difference. OP? Haha.

Edited by Nepenthe

snip

I would've thought a "u mad bro" would've been more pertinent, but alright...

At the monster scaling system comment...I'm glad you completely skimmed over the part where he says the game reacts to a COMBINATION of your level and party members, not just the amount of party members...

Edited by Bartimaeus

At the monster scaling system comment...I'm glad you completely skimmed over the part where he says the game reacts to a COMBINATION of your level and party members, not just the amount of party members...

So it's cutting out monsters because I'm going solo and then further cutting encounters because I'm low level? That's even worse. :/

This did happen in original BG aswell, though. Random spawn points were designated to spawn a certain amount, and depending on your level it spawned more creatures on them.

Then there were encounters that always have the same amount.

But in truth, since this is running on BGII rules, the spawn system does aswell.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/