Baldur's Gate enhanced edition

Dezloc

KaineParker, yeah I think that pretty much sums up their target audience.

Have no experience hands on with this version, though.

Then it looks like I will be checking out BGEE.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This remake isn't enhanced. It's worse. It's easy tot ell that without even playing it. How the hell do you ship a game made so many years ago with so many bugs including game ending ones. Total garbage.People supporting this junk are not BG fans.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, depends on how important money is to you. In that case, you could just pay half the price for the original on GOG, then spend 3 minutes on a widescreen resolution mod.

Well, depends on how important money is to you. In that case, you could just pay half the price for the original on GOG, then spend 3 minutes on a widescreen resolution mod.

I'm still on the fence to be honest. I think I'm going to wait a while for fixes for and reviews of BGEE before I make my decision.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm still on the fence to be honest. I think I'm going to wait a while for fixes for and reviews of BGEE before I make my decision.

If you're not going to get around to playing it for another month anyway, this is probably the wise choice to make.

About the intro, I agree with some above : they weren't particularly good even per 1998 standard.

Now, if you want a good intro of this time, check the Fallout one : this is a very good intro that didn't aged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBNKa2KXZE'

"War, war never changes"

FANTASTIC!

One of the best, and most immersive, openings i ever saw.

Edited by Jhonrock

I don't plan on getting BG:EE, but I've convinced my friend to get on on tablet when it comes out. He's never played and since I talk about the the IE games so much he wants to give it a go.

If he likes it, I can probably convince him to get the old ones on GOG.

I wonder if they were trying to tie the visual direction of the cinematics together with BG2? I mean, those do look a lot more like the BG2/TOB intro movies.

The anonymous bhaalspawn in intro looks odd, but my initial impression is that I'm ok with the new videos. If you want to play the unchanged original, nobody's stopping you. Well, apart from the guys who ported it to mac... *sigh*

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I don't plan on getting BG:EE, but I've convinced my friend to get on on tablet when it comes out. He's never played and since I talk about the the IE games so much he wants to give it a go.

If he likes it, I can probably convince him to get the old ones on GOG.

I can't help but wonder if BG1 is actually the best way to get into the IE games nowadays. It's a game I have no particular love for, which colours my opinion, but I personally consider the value of the game to be the way it changed the direction of the genre and less how the game holds up today. Like the pebble that sets off the ripples then sinks, it made a splash but feels best enjoyed today via its successors instead.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Same as me, the points you made earlier are exactly the reasons I'll be buying it :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I can't help but wonder if BG1 is actually the best way to get into the IE games nowadays. It's a game I have no particular love for, which colours my opinion, but I personally consider the value of the game to be the way it changed the direction of the genre and less how the game holds up today. Like the pebble that sets off the ripples then sinks, it made a splash but feels best enjoyed today via its successors instead.

I think you're right on the money. It was revolutionary at the time (I still remember the cries of horror of moving from Pure gold box style turn-based combat into rtwp... :D), but in many ways it was superseded by its successors...

I still remember the cries of horror of moving from Pure gold box style turn-based combat into rtwp... :D)

Those cries were warranted. They should have never abandoned TB combat. Especially for a damn D&D game.

Best thing they ever did.

I still remember the cries of horror of moving from Pure gold box style turn-based combat into rtwp... :D)

Those cries were warranted. They should have never abandoned TB combat. Especially for a damn D&D game.

Best thing they ever did.

I agree. I love D&D, but honestly it doesn't make a good cRPG. There are just too many rules you have to break(even in TB) where it ends up that it is better to just create your own ruleset. RTwP did do this somewhat, but still ended up keeping rules that don't really function well outside of PnP.

Yea, all these other crpg rulesets have been so outstanding. Lemmie tell you, they've really put d&d to shame. :huh:

Turns out that different things work for crpgs and tabletop ones. Who'da thunk it.

Wasn't planning on playing more bgee until the mac version releases (so wouldn't need to boot into windows), but can't stop myself. So that magic's definitely still there.

Edited by Nepenthe

Games have gone beyond the rigid rules of DnD. The whole point of turns is to make the game work for people sitting around a table, not because the gods decreed it must be so.

Bioware rightly realized at the time that it was a stupid limitation to impose on a computer game. And subsequent games, theirs and others have cut what little was left of that system.

RPG's today are action adventures. This is logical, because role playing itself is nothing more than a rules based simulation of an action adventure. If you can make the rules disappear behind the curtain you should end up with a better, more immersive adventure. In theory.

The problem today is not that RPG's rules and implementation suck, its that their actual adventures suck, and that's not something that can be fixed by imposing a strict rule set or any other nostalgia infused solution.

The adventures suck because they're made according to the tastes of teenage boys. Any self respecting adult can only be embarrassed by their content. However, what makes them even worse, truly bad in fact, is that they're made according to a marketing persons view of what the majority wants to see and experience.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

What's different about it? What's the essential hook being used to sell it?

If it was their plan to re-implement certain aspects that have seen technological improvement in the recent years... Like using a modern codecs and a recent animation package to replicate the cutscenes for improved visual quality.... That would be commendable.

If they had planned to re-render the original backdrops from the source files, adding in options for radiosity and volumetric effects; and improved clarity for a planned higher minimum resolution; and add more enviromental animations ~Or better still, render each backdrop in each native resolution, for native assets for each screen res option ~THAT would have been awesome.

If they had an ace up their sleeve and implemented full 3D avatars using faithful copies of the original assets and new content... That would have been legendary IMO.

~~ But if the plan was, "How do we take this IP we have access to and make it salable to the 'ADD' generation; streamline it, trim down the verbosity, and up the pacing of it... I would think that was a rather insidiously disrespectful cash grab on par with the what happened to Fallout 3 sadvaultboy-1.gif; and unconscionable IMO. It's sad to hear what's happened; I see no reason to even be curious about it :(.

*Not when Gog sells both games bundled in one installer; fine as they are, but still mod-able with TuTu and the infinity resolution patches..

Edited by Gizmo

Gamebanshee slams BGEE in every possible way:

http://gamebanshee.com/reviews/110209-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-review.html

Incredible how they broke a game that was almost bug free and stable.

http://gamebanshee.c...ion-review.html

"There are graphical bugs such as flickering status icons and doors which have apparently have their graphics reversed, so they appear open when closed and vice-versa."

Well, that's funny.

http://gamebanshee.c...ion-review.html

"There are graphical bugs such as flickering status icons and doors which have apparently have their graphics reversed, so they appear open when closed and vice-versa."

Well, that's funny.

Its shameful ****, amateur modders didn't mess up the game as much over so many mods as Overhaul did in these last few months.