Baldur's Gate enhanced edition

Dezloc

...given my job and lifestyle I'll likely end up buying an iPad just to play these games.

You'd be better off with a Nexus 7 or the like.

What's the difference? I was just inclined to go for the larger screen.

I prefer the Android OS to IOS and, also, it's extremely easy to work on/repair if things go badly while the iPads are, literally, glued together and made to be as hard as possible to repair. Plus it's much cheaper.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Having bought the game 4 times already, including the GOG version, I see no reason to invest in this. I already have the GOG version installed with mods, as well as the BGT so I run it with the BG2 engine. This 'new' version for 20 bucks, saddled with DRM and possible upcoming DLC at a further cost? Yeah, I think I'll pass.

...given my job and lifestyle I'll likely end up buying an iPad just to play these games.

You'd be better off with a Nexus 7 or the like.

What's the difference? I was just inclined to go for the larger screen.

I prefer the Android OS to IOS and, also, it's extremely easy to work on/repair if things go badly while the iPads are, literally, glued together and made to be as hard as possible to repair. Plus it's much cheaper.

I'm generally uninclined to mess with and try to repair something like this myself but I never had any issues with the iPhones and iPods I owned but I'm not sure what the failure rate is for iPads.

Beyond that yes the price for a nexus 7 seems about half of the price of an iPad. Hmm.....decisions, decisions. Well the good thing is I have time to think about it and look further into this. Thanks for the heads up.

1zq6793.jpg

Having bought the game 4 times already, including the GOG version, I see no reason to invest in this. I already have the GOG version installed with mods, as well as the BGT so I run it with the BG2 engine. This 'new' version for 20 bucks, saddled with DRM and possible upcoming DLC at a further cost? Yeah, I think I'll pass.

I am a sucker for new content, 20 bucks isn't a lot and the DRM doesn't seem that bad. Like I said I'll wait for reviews and player feedback first but if all is as it seems to be I'll jump on it without a second thought.

1zq6793.jpg

The DRM is a one-time activation check over the internet when you install. Once the installation is done and activated, there is no need to run the Beamdog client or to be connected to the internet to play ever after. The activation check might even be removed in the future, but for now Overhaul is contractually bound to have at least some minimal form of DRM. Connecting to the internet once at some point shouldn't be an issue for most people.

Edited by Zeckul
  • Like 1

The DRM is a one-time activation check over the internet when you install. Once the installation is done and activated, there is no need to run the Beamdog client or to be connected to the internet to play ever after. The activation check might even be removed in the future, but for now Overhaul is contractually bound to have at least some minimal form of DRM. Connecting to the internet once at some point shouldn't be an issue for most people.

Yeah that is more than perfectly fine and I more than gladly pay for a game that deserves it.

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

Only reason I'm mildly looking forward to it is because they supposedly externalized some stuff, which might result in some interesting modding capabilities, especially if they finally externalized the whole class/creation system (which would finally allow us to make multiclasses with kits and so on).

But other than that, it just seems like a pretty cheap mod hack-job. They can't really change much. I was hoping that they'd end up actually adding a lot more stuff, changing things around, messing with the rules a bit, etc. It largely seems like a wasted opportunity, what with the restrictions put on them.

The odds of me seeing the NPC's I want added to Baldur's Gate II is more or less nil.

"One-time" per installation and it might be removed.

Those things are about as bad as bad can get from a DRM standpoint. Minimal form of DRM is CD-keys.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm getting it but I don't fall intot hat camp of 'as long as you have mods' thing with BG. All of those mods kinda run iffy, the game its self runs iffy on the newer OS. Can you run it on em? Yeah but those games where kinda buggy to start, they're even worse on newer stuff and mods make things even more screwed up half the time. And when you start mixing mods... guh. Not to mention trying to do the BG1 in BG2 engine has counltess quest issues.

So, get all that in a more polished pack 'with' full widescreen support which you don't really get rid mods? Yeah, I think its worth it.. and I got it preordered because of that. But then I don't need to get it off GOG, I have a copy (and its expansion). No amount of mods actually fixes the issues.

Def Con: kills owls dead

The art is indeed lost, Bioware really are that stupid. I'm also well aware of The Black Hound, it wasnt really a sequel in anything but name though and could have quite easily shruged off the Baldurs gate moniker . Baldurs Gate doesnt need a sequel the story ended.

More than stupidity, I'd throw that with general structural inefficiencies which arise when a group grows faster that its daily administrative regulating body can endure. I don't think we'd call most people working at the NASA stupid, yet they still lost a whole swathe of data pertaining to their old space travel programs.To go back to the subject of the thread: I still don't understand why someone thought that enhanced edition was needed. Still, I guess I wish them well.

Those things are about as bad as bad can get from a DRM standpoint. Minimal form of DRM is CD-keys.

CD-keys can get lost and it's tedious to enter them. Being connected to the internet at installation involves doing absolutely nothing in particular for the vast majority of users, given that it's a digital download to begin with. It hardly gets less intrusive than this. I suppose your fear is that the activation servers might one day go down, in this case Overhaul will of course patch the game to remove the activation, if that hasn't already been done before.
  • Like 1

About that bit where Beamdog can't change existing content: what exactly does that mean? Not actually changing the existing story is not fatal for an enhanced version; what I don't get is whether or not they can, say, write new content for existing characters. Because if they can't, BG2EE is going to be pathetic, just because of banters.

Edited by lordgizka

I could think of buying it, if it will be released on gog.

Though I've heard about having a system that connects to their servers for update, cloud saves and possible release of DLCs. Don't know if it's true, but that would be a big "no no" for me.

All of the above are true -- however: There is a 100% offline mode, and the Beamdog client doesn't have to be running when you run the game (and there is no advantage of having it running, either -- no "Stream overlay", for example), and you don't have to use cloud saves.

There hasn't been an explicit promise that there will not be day-0 DLC, but I'd be shocked if this was the case -- the devs have their hands full simply trying to get the product out the door. Tablets will have day-0 DLC, but that content is included in the PC version, and this was done to reduce the base price on tablets.

Mmmh. The beamdog client is the bigger issue for me. I hope that it will come to gog sooner or later.

Eh, haven't they repeatedly stated that the game is independent of the Beamdog client, you must simply buy it from there? I mean, I've read it at least 7 times just from Trent Oster's twitter feed, but I see at least two of you claiming otherwise...

About that bit where Beamdog can't change existing content: what exactly does that mean? Not actually changing the existing story is not fatal for an enhanced version; what I don't get is whether or not they can, say, write new content for existing characters. Because if they can't, BG2EE is going to be pathetic, just because of banters.

My impression of that is that they're not exactly sure. OTOH they've mentioned getting David Warner and Jim Cummings back if they add more content for Jon/Minsc, so my take on it is that entirely new content, ie. a Minsc specific quest, would be possible, but, say, adding a new step into Nalia's wouldn't be.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Question to Zeckul:

You're talking about enhanced mod support, but is there any way to mod an iPad version of the game? It should be possible to drop in mods through the iTunes interface for instance.

If not, have you added difficulty options that put the game on par with what SCS does?

Trent Oster has stated he wants mods to be accessible on tablets as well, but I don't know how that'll be achieved. In any case I don't have any tablets do test it on.

I don't think much will be done in the AI department at least for release. SCS will most certainly still work though, given that its creator is on the beta test team.

You'll be able to play without having the Beamdog client running; I believe the client is required to buy and download the game however.

Edited by Zeckul

I'll get BG:EE if a lot of existing mods are compatible. As of now, I'm satisfied with BG, Tutu and all the other mods that make a great trilogy even better.

I still install BG with the original 5 disc CD set and BG2 with the 4 disc CD set. I carry around all my IE games in a special blue carrying case that is only for IE games. Can't seem to let go of that nostalgia.

CD-keys can get lost and it's tedious to enter them. Being connected to the internet at installation involves doing absolutely nothing in particular for the vast majority of users, given that it's a digital download to begin with. It hardly gets less intrusive than this. I suppose your fear is that the activation servers might one day go down, in this case Overhaul will of course patch the game to remove the activation, if that hasn't already been done before.

Anyone who loses CD key for his most loved games is as stupid as Bioware for loosing their original art...

I have all infinity engine games DRM-free, no need to pay for DRM infested stuff, when they patch the DRM out, I will be buying it though. If it will be in 5 years, so be it.

Patience is a virtue which I have more than enough...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I've purchased due to the fact that I've been unable to get my original disks to run, at all. It installs fine, it just wont run. I then purchased the digital download version off GoG and that also wont run. :banghead: BG2 runs fine though, so I'm hoping that the EE will run on my system.