Baldur's Gate enhanced edition

Dezloc

I'd like to see a hate-mance with Shar-Teel where if she successfully saves against a charm check, the pc will have to make a reflex save against castration.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Btw, in EE they fixed a ton of bugs plus it uses BG2 engine (with all its cool spells and stuff), so it's worth those dollars.

The trick here is that a BG/BG2 fixpack covering a ton of bugs already exists. A mod that allows you to play the whole saga, from BG to ToB, in the BG2 engine also already exists. Since they exist and are free of charge, as selling points, they aren't as convincing as they might be otherwise.

You keep saying this. Its not true unless you choose to make it true by specifically seeking out mods with OP items/NPCs. Otherwise, there are plenty of BG mods that weaken existing overpowered items and increase the threat posed by enemies.

If you're going to issue blanket criticism of the very idea of modding, at least criticize it on grounds that aren't blatantly false.

It is true. The problem with a lot of mods is the modders will add things that are just game breaking. Lets make this NPC do stuff or increase their stats that they normally can't in the original game! Yep, nice work with that mod.

I could think of buying it, if it will be released on gog.

Though I've heard about having a system that connects to their servers for update, cloud saves and possible release of DLCs. Don't know if it's true, but that would be a big "no no" for me.

• Like 2

I am interested to see where this is going. It is a shame that there are all the limitations they have to deal with, but BG is still one of the most classic RPGs I have played on PC. I will probably pick it up.

Also, the developers have indicated a desire to make a "BG3" should sales of BG1:EE / BG2:EE be sufficiently high to convince WotC to allow one to be made. So, that's another potential reason to purchase BG1:EE -- think of it as kickstarter where you get a free game upfront. :)

Though I've heard about having a system that connects to their servers for update, cloud saves and possible release of DLCs. Don't know if it's true, but that would be a big "no no" for me.

All of the above are true -- however: There is a 100% offline mode, and the Beamdog client doesn't have to be running when you run the game (and there is no advantage of having it running, either -- no "Stream overlay", for example), and you don't have to use cloud saves.

There hasn't been an explicit promise that there will not be day-0 DLC, but I'd be shocked if this was the case -- the devs have their hands full simply trying to get the product out the door. Tablets will have day-0 DLC, but that content is included in the PC version, and this was done to reduce the base price on tablets.

Edited by MReed

It's been a while, so I wouldn't mind another play through with a few new additions. But I'll wait to see the reception first.

Baldurs Gate 3 already exists, it was called Throne of Bhaal. The idea that a complete story needs a sequel. Or that a developer like Overhaul games who have never actually created their own title before should be the ones to do it, is laughable.

There are still possibilities for a sequel; I can think of a few.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

All of the above are true -- however: There is a 100% offline mode, and the Beamdog client doesn't have to be running when you run the game (and there is no advantage of having it running, either -- no "Stream overlay", for example), and you don't have to use cloud saves.

There hasn't been an explicit promise that there will not be day-0 DLC, but I'd be shocked if this was the case -- the devs have their hands full simply trying to get the product out the door. Tablets will have day-0 DLC, but that content is included in the PC version, and this was done to reduce the base price on tablets.

Mmmh. The beamdog client is the bigger issue for me. I hope that it will come to gog sooner or later.

Can we trust BG3 to folks who make evil half orc sex scenarios?

No.

We trusted BG2 to folks who allowed us to have sex with Anomen. That's far worse.

Yet they came through for us.

• Like 1

Baldurs Gate 3 already exists, it was called Throne of Bhaal. The idea that a complete story needs a sequel. Or that a developer like Overhaul games who have never actually created their own title before should be the ones to do it, is laughable.

<shrug> True enough -- but every developer had a first game, and I don't see any reason that Overhaul Games couldn't make a worthy sequel. For various reasons, I consider it very unlikely that it would be a direct sequel in any case -- at most, it would simply be a D&D game (likely using the 5E ruleset and lore) that happens to have the name "Baldur's Gate". But if that's something you want, Overhaul Games is your best candidate for making that happen.

ToB was an expansion pack. Moreover it was an expansion pack riddled with obnoxious plot holes and blatant indifference on the part of the writers. I will not dignify it with the title 'Baldur's Gate 3.'

That said, whether Overhaul would be up to such a project is a whole other subject. I won't wrote them off, but neither am I holding my breath.

Mmmh. The beamdog client is the bigger issue for me. I hope that it will come to gog sooner or later.

You aren't alone in this camp -- but Overhaul Games is a part of Beamdog, so they are pretty much obliged to release as a Beamdog exclusive. Note that the devs get a bigger cut of the profits for Beamdog sales / downloads because of this relationship

In any case, the devs have heard the requests to make it available on GoG, or at least downloadable without the Beamdog client, and they are exploring options to make this happen. But frankly, I wouldn't expect to see any progress on this front until several months after release.

Just to be clear, yes, the original art assets were lost

This is rather hard for to believe. I mean, they must have backed the stuff up to tape drives, cds and harddrives... but they still lost every backup? :geek:

Edited by dlux
  • Like 1

:closed:

In case people forget, btw, BG3 was under development during the last days of Black Isle Studios. It would have had a loose connection at best with the Bhaalspawn storyline. As I suspect any future BG3 would; by the time ToB ends your character is either a god or as close to a god as a mortal can get. Not a lot of room for advancement after that.

http://en.wikipedia....The_Black_Hound

Edited by Death Machine Miyagi

Spoilers ahead.

What makes me wonder is who the hell will be in this fantomatic BG3.

<CHARNAME> should be a god in 2 out of 3 endings...

And what about companions? I don't want a sequel without some of them!

But frankly, I wouldn't expect to see any progress on this front until several months after release.

I can live with that.

Edited by DocDoomII

This is rather hard for to believe. I mean, they must have backed the stuff up to tape drives, cds and harddrives... but they still lost every backup? :geek:

There was a long discussion about this (about 3-4 months ago, and I think it was split between twitter and the message boards). If I'm remembering correctly, the upshot was that the BG1/BG2 art assets (3D models & textures) were backed up -- but they were unable to find the backup after a through search of the Bioware offices. Keep in mind that it has been ~15 years since the last time anyone looked or cared about these assets, so it isn't that hard to believe.

The art is indeed lost, Bioware really are that stupid. I'm also well aware of The Black Hound, it wasnt really a sequel in anything but name though and could have quite easily shruged off the Baldurs gate moniker . Baldurs Gate doesnt need a sequel the story ended.

bg 3 had a nice cover art (if it is real)

cover6.jpg

and guess what: our dear josh sawyer was in charge

• Like 1

Here lies Firedorn, a hero in bed.
He once was alive, but now he's dead.
The last woman he bedded turned out to be a man
And crying in shame, off a cliff he ran.

The art is indeed lost, Bioware really are that stupid.

Indeed. I would have made numerous backups and put them in different safes (personal and at the office). It is such a shame that the original assets of one the best games ever created is lost... probably forever.

There was a long discussion about this (about 3-4 months ago, and I think it was split between twitter and the message boards). If I'm remembering correctly, the upshot was that the BG1/BG2 art assets (3D models & textures) were backed up -- but they were unable to find the backup after a through search of the Bioware offices. Keep in mind that it has been ~15 years since the last time anyone looked or cared about these assets, so it isn't that hard to believe.

Were they stolen by an ex employee or something? Stuff like that just doesn't disappear into thin air.

:closed: