The Big Three Million

I think a significant number of Biowarians have backed off because the devs have been non-committal about Romances.

They could sell their souls to the devil and announce them, they would make some more money out of it but at what long-term cost?

sonsofgygax.JPG

I think it's safe to say they'll be in there to some extent, I'm just hoping that it will be a fresh perspective. Not the lovey dovey tryst between the PC and a party member (hopefully).

Edited by Sensuki

I think a significant number of Biowarians have backed off because the devs have been non-committal about Romances.

They could sell their souls to the devil and announce them, they would make some more money out of it but at what long-term cost?

I think Obsidian like the idea of doing romances. That has nothing to do with appeasing "Biowarians" or making more money.

If anything, they'll scrap the idea of doing them to appease the anti-romance crowd.

I think Obsidian like the idea of doing romances. That has nothing to do with appeasing "Biowarians" or making more money.

If anything, they'll scrap the idea of doing them to appease the anti-romance crowd.

Let's not have a romance debate here, suffice it to say MCAs comments on the subject have been... ambivalent to say the least.

sonsofgygax.JPG

At the pace we have been going for the last few days 3mil is just looking really unlikely. If the mega dungeon isnt enticing enough for people im not sure anything short of co-op would do it.

I have to agree. If they put co-op as a 3 mill goal and could guarantee it won't negatively affect the game if they get there, they'd see a massive donation influx. Would we reach that 3 million goal? who knows, but just having that co-op option being almost tenable would mean alot more money from new donors, donors upping tiers so they can get multiple copies for friends to play with them and/or just upping tiers to try and get to goal (I know I'd spring from 20 to 140).

If I were them I'd put it as the last goal and no new content tiers inbetween, saying that if they get there then money will be used for that, but if they don't, they'll just make more content for the 100k tiers we didn't have inbetween. Those who want it have the chance to get it, those who don't want it will just get to harvest money for new content from the poor saps paying for it if we don't get there, or at least won't be affected negatively by the goal. Everyone wins in one way or another.

It'll be nice if they can match Wasteland 2 (61k backers, $2.9m), but it's going to be a stretch to catch Double Fine (87k, $3.3m).

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Only 18k? Source?

I thought I read Feargus state they've passed $20k on the kickstarter comments page yesterday.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'd be very surprised if it didn't hit three million anyway - a bigger question is whether it's possible to get as high as double fine, which doesn't look enormously likely, but not out of the question.

PE have $50k over Double Fine had at the same time period of its campaign. Now DFA campaign lasted a bit longer, but it seems PE already fixed that difference by getting more money per day. If PE continue gaining a bit more money per day than Double Fine (which it is so far), it will have no problem taking over that #1 spot. Unless the final "spike" fail, but I suspect it will be beautiful.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

eybBM.png

o7JdP.png

We aren't doing bad, but I was expecting a lot more than what W2 and DFA projects got.

Even though Tim Shafer is the adventure games man, RPGs have a larger fanbase. So more power to PE.

And even though Brian Fargo had W1 done, he hasn't exactly made worthwhile RPG in a long time. While current Obsidian members have done a lot! So even more power to PE.

Did W2 had more success because it will be a pure TB game? Maybe because it was able to draw from FO3 and FONV success?

The irony is that W2 was able to get a big spike when he announced that CA would be contributing to W2. And PE was unable to generate any hype-spike during the campaign.

See March 30: http://www.kicktraq....d-2#chart-daily

An the corresponding update: http://www.kickstart...-2/posts/199078

There was another spike on 4th April, when Fargo announced these stretch goals: http://www.kickstart...-2/posts/202023

- increase the overall size and depth of the world, [and it also] translates to more story lines and more player options as well

- shipping a polished and deep game

- more NPC portraits and equipment artwork as per what the fans have requested in the forums

- increase the music budget to allow Mark Morgan to layer in even more atmosphere

- this kind of budget ensures that Wasteland 2 is BIGGER than Wasteland 1

- mod toolkit at 3 millions, only to be released after W2 is shipped to make sure things are done well

Initially I was seeing this project going for somewhere in the 4 million lane, maybe a little over 5 million.

But now, I see it topping at 3.5 millions.

Unless they're able to shake things up.

Committing to a mod toolkit at 4 million would be a very good move IMO.

And if they're able to say PE will be bigger than X game or will have Y hours of gameplay, that may also reassure people that were on the fence.

Releasing in-game footage could also be neat :)

Edited by hideo kuze
  • Like 1

Iv'e been saying they need to put something really awesome up so we can make a massive reach for it. Im willing to upgrade even further from 140$ if its something really good. But obsidian isnt taking a hint. I can see there will be other stretchgoals by looking at the "road so far" art on the front page, hopefully that mountain means there is something big coming up.

If a developer is reading this DO NOT MAKE THE INTERVAL A MEASLY 100K!! If you do, people are going to go "meh, its not so far away, you'll make it without me". Instead give us something to panic over like "Breadth and depth of game exceeds Baldurs Gate and Planescape: Torment at 3,2 million". Everyone will go: OHSHIIIII!! IF I DONT PLEDGE MORE WE WILL NEVER REACH IT!! COME ON WALLET, BRAAACE FOR IMPAACT!

I hope that illustrates my point. We know what we get when you compare it to BG, IWD or PT. Not to say the mega-dungeon and new classes arent awesome of course. But they dont paint the walls with my mind either.

• Like 1

We aren't doing bad, but I was expecting a lot more than what W2 and DFA projects got.

Lots of people put a lot of money on Wasteland 2, DFA and Shadowrun. Now they are "broke" and can't really push higher for PE. Wasteland average per backers is $48, PE right now is at $45 (it keep going up though). There are already people who removed their PE pledge because they don't have the money. I saw a dude at the $35 level doing so.

and I still don't understand how DFA got over 80k backers...

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

If they could really "WOW!" people with a video, I think they could get more backers and people upping their pledges. Mega dungeon is just a boring idea that doesn't inspire as there is nothing that sets it apart from any dungeon in any game (from what we know).

Lots of people put a lot of money on Wasteland 2, DFA and Shadowrun. Now they are "broke" and can't really push higher for PE. Wasteland average per backers is $48, PE right now is at $45 (it keep going up though). There are already people who removed their PE pledge because they don't have the money. I saw a dude at the $35 level doing so.

and I still don't understand how DFA got over 80k backers...

It was the first real big-name project. Lots of people probably pledged because they were also supporting a cause.

• Like 2

Iv'e been saying they need to put something really awesome up so we can make a massive reach for it. Im willing to upgrade even further from 140$ if its something really good. But obsidian isnt taking a hint. I can see there will be other stretchgoals by looking at the "road so far" art on the front page, hopefully that mountain means there is something big coming up.

If a developer is reading this DO NOT MAKE THE INTERVAL A MEASLY 100K!! If you do, people are going to go "meh, its not so far away, you'll make it without me". Instead give us something to panic over like "Breadth and depth of game exceeds Baldurs Gate and Planescape: Torment at 3,2 million". Everyone will go: OHSHIIIII!! IF I DONT PLEDGE MORE WE WILL NEVER REACH IT!! COME ON WALLET, BRAAACE FOR IMPAACT!

I hope that illustrates my point. We know what we get when you compare it to BG, IWD or PT. Not to say the mega-dungeon and new classes arent awesome of course. But they dont paint the walls with my mind either.

Agreed.

And they should also add the "now is the chance - (pause) maybe that one time chance - to make it happen" and the "every dollar in your pledge helps making a better and bigger game" tidbits for extra tension and hype.

If they could really "WOW!" people with a video, I think they could get more backers and people upping their pledges. Mega dungeon is just a boring idea that doesn't inspire as there is nothing that sets it apart from any dungeon in any game (from what we know).

That is not true.

A lot of cRPG players like that type of thing. Including me.

Edited by hideo kuze