The Big Three Million

I think, with the right stretch goals, that three million dollars is possible. I am factoring in PayPal donations, albeit tough because figures haven't been released.

What do you think, stretch-goal or otherwise, Obsidian needs to do to hit or even surpass The Big Three?

Edit: Do they own the rights to IWD / IWD2?

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

I take your point, but from previous KS data I've looked at there is traditionally a spike towards the end of a project. Plus, like I say, we haven't been able to see the KS data (probably about 12-15000 pledges so far).

So a final push in the last week might just see us get there.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'd be very surprised if it didn't hit three million anyway - a bigger question is whether it's possible to get as high as double fine, which doesn't look enormously likely, but not out of the question.

I really liked the last two stretch goals for Planetary Annihilation, which were an orchestral score and a project documentary. PA had an even bigger upturn at the end than most game Kickstarters (which tend to have a large boost in the last day or two), so I think those stretch goals probably helped.

I think more companions are still needed.

With 5 recruitable party members, and the current 7 planned, all it takes is 2 playthoughs to get to know 'em all. Granted, you still won't see all interactions between them, but even then, 7 companions is still a long shot from what BG offered. Although this being Obsidian, I do expect a LOT more depth to them than your typical Bioware NPC's, and therefore I am quite aware that this will result in a lot more writing. I do prefer 7 well written companions to 14 shallow ones.

And yet... I'm probably being greedy, but I'd like to see at least 10 companions. 11 to make sure even 2 playthoughs don't suffice to experience them all.

So to relate this to the topic: I think a stretch goal of "4 more companions" might make some people dig a bit deeper in their wallets.

Also: I may have missed it, but is there a reason this project isn't getting much (if any) attention at the big gaming sites? Anything to do with this game not having a publisher?

Edited by Pope
  • Like 2

i think throwing a finishing party helps raising more funds (DFA's case)

too bad that it's an awkward time for most of us europeans (03:00 AM CEST)

my guess is that PE will close at a bit more than 3 mil $

Edited by molarBear

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

exp-cone.png

Kicktraq projection give somewhat good picture where PE will end. With flat, near median, daily pledges it will go over 2.6 million and with usual end surge it can go over 3 million.

Edited by Elerond

When paypal was added it gave me pause as well. I kept hearing that paypal takes less of a commission than kickstarter + amazon. If true then it almost seems like kickstarter is more just to get things going and reach the initial goal. After the project has been funded, paypal seems like it would be a big advantage. Of course, Paypal's reputation precede's it. They aren't the most ethical and trustworthy company apparently. It would be nice if there were a third option with even lower comissions. Sending cash in envelopes directly to the Obsidian offices? Sending checks made out directly to your favorite Obsidian developers? E-gold or perhaps actual gold pieces?

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't get to $3m. PE is a big kickstarter and there is always a big upsurge in the last 3 or 4 days so I think $3m will be reached but probably not a lot more. Depends how much is actually contributed through Paypal too.

I think the best thing Obsidian could do (if they want to maximise pledges) would be to throw out a major stretch goal at $3.5m as soon as possible, by tomorrow at the latest anyway. $3.5m is the farthest away goal that I can see being reached as I can't see 4m being possible from here. A big, popular, but also achievable goal that's over a million away with a week or so to go could be the catalyst that leads to a late flurry of pledges.

Of course, what that major stretch goal at $3.5m should be is hard to say. Personally, I want more and more content. I think we have enough races now but more fully fleshed out companions would definitely make me consider pledging more. More cities, more towns and more wilderness areas. Maybe a goal that says the game will be as big as BG1.

Regardless, I think 3.5m is the number to shoot for.

• Like 2

We might see a spike of support near the end, but I wonder how much of that will come from new backers, instead of from people who are upping their pledges. I think most of the CRPG gaming world knows about Project Eternity by now. There has been interview after interview every two, three days, regular and frequent updates. Honestly Obsidian has done a lot to pitch the game to its loyal fan base.

What I think is more likely is should Obsidian continue to take in PayPal donations after the Kickstarter ends, we should see a slow and continual increase in pledges.

3 million is still very reachable. Most Kickstarter projects experience a push during the last 2 days or so, sort of like a lesser version of what goes on during the first couple of days.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think, with the right stretch goals, that three million dollars is possible. I am factoring in PayPal donations, albeit tough because figures haven't been released.

yeah, we need a counter for paypal donations, as well!

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

Feargus have said in Kickstarter's comments that PayPal pledges are around 20k$ now, so I wouldn't be overly optimistic when it comes to money gathered with it. Right now it's below 1% of Kickstarer amount, but, on the other hand, it means that 2.4 mil stretch goal has been achieved.

We might see a spike of support near the end, but I wonder how much of that will come from new backers, instead of from people who are upping their pledges. I think most of the CRPG gaming world knows about Project Eternity by now. There has been interview after interview every two, three days, regular and frequent updates. Honestly Obsidian has done a lot to pitch the game to its loyal fan base.

What I think is more likely is should Obsidian continue to take in PayPal donations after the Kickstarter ends, we should see a slow and continual increase in pledges.

You know, I don't think I've seen a few large gamings sites, like gametrailers and gamespot, make a few references to PE. Especially GameSpot. No interviews with the Obs staff, though. I know that GT and GS aren't the target crowd for games like PE, but it could offer a little push both in donations and popularity for the project.

WotC/HASBRO own the rights to any video game using the Icewind Dale trademark, according to the US copyright office. And why would we want another IWD when WotC/HASBRO have to approve content and can tell Obsidian what they can or cannot do in the game, when Obsidian now has their own world and could do a IWD like game in the future, and are free to do any content in it they desire.

The reason pledges 'slowed down' is because of PayPal support. I wouldn't worry much guys about it. I will donate my 25$ on last days as well.

Actually the donations per day have been in the same ballpark since the first week or so. PayPal doesn't seem to have affected it at all. The total PayPal donations hadn't reached 20k yesterday.

It looks a bit grim to tell the truth, 3 million seems far off without a really powerful motivator. Is the bioware community aware of the project?

Edited by Gyges

WotC/HASBRO own the rights to any video game using the Icewind Dale trademark, according to the US copyright office. And why would we want another IWD when WotC/HASBRO have to approve content and can tell Obsidian what they can or cannot do in the game, when Obsidian now has their own world and could do a IWD like game in the future, and are free to do any content in it they desire.

Jaesun I was just wondering if they could bundle it as a giveaway, you know the original precursor games in a special edition?

sonsofgygax.JPG

I can see it finishing somewhere between $3-3.5 million. I don't see it going much further than that though; and certainly nowhere near $4 million (which seemed possible earlier on).

I still think Obsidian may have made a bit of a mistake doing so many easy to reach stretch goals. No matter how great the goal rewards are, people aren't going to be motivated to raise their pledges if reaching the goal seems inevitable. I think they would have been much better off having fewer stretch goals at bigger milestones... like every 500k.

Anyway, $3 million would be a huge success, considering they only needed $1.1 million to make the game.

It looks a bit grim to tell the truth, 3 million seems far off without a really powerful motivator. Is the bioware community aware of the project?

Judging by the number of romance threads in first few days it seem very much so :rolleyes: