Epic items in PE world

I know that there will be epic items in the game but how?

Should it be like BG 2 where you can find as a drop from certain bosses and even find them as pieces and forge them by yourself or by a talented dwarf?

Or DAO style (epic items are very low in number actually) by adding runes to the items which i think not that epic after all.

Of course i expect something similar to BG 2 and maybe even an improved way of doing this.

I'd like the BG 2 system, along with finding some epic items that are whole already. However, I'd say that any epic item gotten should attract the attention of some powerful people/being who also desires said object. Power and reputation should get you attention, unwanted or otherwise.

I hope the game has an improved loot system from other Obsidian games. I loved the Icewind Dale games and Baldur's gate games, but more so because of the lore about the items you found. The thing that kind of stinks with loot is it's not very exciting. It doesn't really feel powerful, or it's too powerful and a simple weapon could be used for 80% of the game. I don't think loot should need to be swapped out every 15 min necessarily, but I also don't like it when I gain a +1 to a +2 weapon that does 4 more damage. Not to say it needs to be like Final Fantasy and do 332,000 damage either, but there should be some diversity and something unique about the weapons. I'd also like to have epic items that can be epic rings or amulets, and not just weapons. Especially since I tend to try and play more so as a pacifist type of player, and if I do have to use combat, I want to do so in the least violent manner. You wouldn't know by my name though, it's more for show ;)

I always disliked the idea of epic items in general, to be honest. That super powerful "+100 sword of visual atrocity" that some people seem to crave just comes off as guady and pointless. Well storied minor magical items, that you really have to work toward, slowly uncovering bits and pieces or their story, possible locations and attributes - what they might look like - are far more interesting to me. Especially if getting the clues wrong could result in you picking up a wrong item, you found the wrong visual clues, so even with the right one in the same room you pick up the fake one that triggers a trap.

A magical item should be rare, and a mystery, or, even if not lost, should involve much trial, and not simply combat. Trials of many types. Differing depending on the item in question, appropriate to their story, with their story slowly being uncovered through the people, dialogues, plotlines and clues 'potentially' leading to them.

-

What I especially do not want to see is the all too typical, "Hit the slot machine-I mean boss til' it's dead and recieve a reward from a random pool of items" style reward system because . . . that's always been absurd.

• Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Actually i prefer to find or get something epic as a reward for slaying a big boss or defeating a plot against a city, a king or a faction.

Take Firgraag from BG 2 as an example; you find the dragon slayer sword and shield (imo which are not epic but powerful magical items) in the ruins on your way to his lair. Also, you fight against a party whose leader seemed to be friendly and tells you about the sword and shield in the first place.

After defeating the red dragon you expect to find something epic inside the treasure because we all know that dragon's treasures are legendary.

But this does not mean that we should find epic items everything corner or drops from every boss. What makes these items epic is that they are not random drops but unique items that hand placed and have their own history.

I always disliked the idea of epic items in general, to be honest. That super powerful "+100 sword of visual atrocity" that some people seem to crave just comes off as guady and pointless. Well storied minor magical items, that you really have to work toward, slowly uncovering bits and pieces or their story, possible locations and attributes - what they might look like - are far more interesting to me. Especially if getting the clues wrong could result in you picking up a wrong item, you found the wrong visual clues, so even with the right one in the same room you pick up the fake one that triggers a trap.

Well, in my opinion, the Berserking Sword* would be said epic item.

I like this idea. Specially that there could be legendary or historical artifacts that other parties want or look for. Hm, is this a stretch goal or a reward? On their Kickstarter page I believe they have a reward which is "Design your own Enemy Adventuring Party", is this Story related or merely "Design your own Evil Party" that's going to be a part of the "pre-made" character creations? (Like in Icewind Dale, there were pre-made parties you could choose).

I can also see some nobleman, hiding under the cloak in guise, carrying an important item from A to B and you meet him under your travels. The secrets he holds would/could be a secret document, a powerful spell/document. Either you can help him out, maybe he is dying on the road, or you can outright "Claim" in an outright Chaotic Evil fashion. A Blacksmith in the forest who has given up his trade, and you have to do tons and tons of quests to "appeal" to him.

I love the idea of you creating your own legendary item which someone started a thread about. I looked for it but couldn't find it (skimmed through the pages, so I probably missed it). You are your own Blacksmith kind of, and you would create epic items throughout your gameplay. Another idea was to start a "New Game+" and your epic items from your previous play would be transferred to a random generated place in "New Game+".

* I always think the name is "Berserker King Sword for some reason"

Depends how you define "epic." To me these types of RPG's aren't about "the best, wild phat loot." There are other games for that.

But having certain encounters or the end of a long dungeon have a better than average weapon vs. what you might find up to that point in the game/plot - or perhaps a unique stat or appearance of some kind - is always fun and a nice reward for exploration or battle. I do like crafting, but often the balance of such feels somewhat lackluster ... I spend oodles of time collecting and building up the skill or something and end up not being able to make much of anything that's better than what I can just find through combat/exploring, which makes me feel like I wasted my time. So in terms of crafting, just depends on the system. I wouldn't mind having a bit of both.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 1 month later...

I am playing ps:t nowadays after a long time and there are not many epic items compared to bg 2. Ok some weapons considered as epic but not that satisfying.

PE should give us to opportunity to discover great items as a reward or lore driven quest in search of these artifacts with uniqe stats such as celestial fury, crom faeyr, carsomry +5 etc... to make us feel like an adventuring hero.

I think "epic" items are satisfying when:

They're ridiculously overpowered

They're ridiculously niche

They're ridciulously unusual

Obviously, the first one carries its problems - it might trivialize the game. But I think it's fine, if said weapon is difficult to wield due to requirements, super rare or difficult to create, or comes with a nasty downside (like a curse or something).

The second one is great, especially if you want some low-level 'epic' items. You know, an epic staff that probably sucks compared to a rare high level staff of some kind, but maybe carries a special stat that's hard to acquire (like, a low level epic staff could make fireballs explode on contact, giving them a small area of effect on collision).

The third case is also great. Finding an item that's epic that serves some unusual purpose like making your spellcaster much more adept at melee fighting. Causes you to rethink maybe how you'll develop one of your party members or build your class.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I think it would be extremely cool if we could get some epic items by doing sidequests related to finding their parts and reforging them, and THEN carry them into the next installment of the series as a rather powerful starting weapon you only get if you've done these certain quests, and can further upgrade even in the sequel.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I wouldn't mind seeing powerful items that require a quest or boss fight to receive. I would also like to be able to craft powerful items that can compete with them.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Things I like:

Moderate progression in combat effectiveness.

Storied items.

Story or situation specific bonus.

Attribute bonuses that are not strictly hit and damage (bonus dmg vs undead and resistance to fear but still a +1 weapon)

Things I don't like:

The arms race that trivializes weapons, especially when mathematically it is just better to use the +5 dmg sword with +1d6 fire damage over every storied item, even say the holy sword for paladin.

I'm not a big fan of "epic" items, in the sense of items that give massive combat bonuses. What I really love are items with a lot of lore attached to them, items that give you non-combat advantages, or items that allow you to solve difficult problems in other ways than just attacking everything that moves.

I just looked at the kickstarter page again, and there's going to be about 50 epic items in game at least, based on the number of pledges that got that reward tier. how does that factor in to what kind of artifacts we're going to see?

It sounds like a lot at first, but OTOH it might be preferrable to have epic items all over the gameworld, rather than the players rushing to the same specific locations just for the epic loot

It sounds like a lot at first, but OTOH it might be preferrable to have epic items all over the gameworld, rather than the players rushing to the same specific locations just for the epic loot

Uh...I think everyone assumes they will be spread all over - why on earth would they not be?

I was referring to the number of epic items in the game. The more there are, the more plausible it is to simply play through the game and collect what loot you come across rather than rushing to always the same few specific locations.

Although I love Wizardry 8, it's an example of this done poorly. Run all the way to the first town to get an epic sword (for your level). Use said sword to grind a little, then rush to the next location to get powerful bard instrument.

I do guess that "epic" should be understood in this sense - very powerful for the level you're likely on when you come across them.

The more there are, the more plausible it is to simply play through the game and collect what loot you come across rather than rushing to always the same few specific locations.

Well, I wouldn't call 50 locations "few", but even if that is the case, keep in mind that to get to some of those items you might have to solve an entire quest chain, so it's not just a case of running to one particular cave, hacking the inhabitant to bits and collecting the loot.

Anyhow, if someone wants to play the game just focusing on getting the "phat l00t" they are welcome to do so as far as I am concerned - I just feel sorry for them.

Edited by Frisk

I hope magical items will be extremely rare. A handful of legendary artifacts, all tied to quests.

The effectiveness of other weapons and armors should be determined by their design, what material/s they were made from, and how skilled the smith was. And by the skill of the wearer/wielder, of course.

Don't make the fantastical mundane!

Edited by Agelastos

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

What would you all define as an "epic item" in the first place? I'm not quite sure where I'd draw the line between magical and epic. I like lots of unique items, but not necessarily epic ones. There's a difference between high end magical and epic in my mind but I can't quite place it. I don't really like it when there is basically a "correct" choice for your equipment at the end of the game.

I think where epic items do kind of work is if they are very hard to get and they have a fairly specific role. The holy avenger in icewind dale 2 was a good example: it was hidden, required a difficult battle to acquire and had a fairly specific role in the party that you might not even have a suitable member for, wasn't just generic high end sword for anyone to use. While I quite liked that particular example, it would be completely ruined if every class had their own epic thingy as it'd feel too artificial. In general I'd say that if you are going to have things like that, make them fairly specific - an armour of a dwarven kind that can only be worn by a dwarf of the royal line, a rare spell of the great mage who can only be used by someone who has focused in a certain school of magic etc. Not every character should be able to get something that is specifically a legendary item, but there should certainly be stuff that is similarly powered for those who can't.