Drawing on the "COD" crowd on other genres

NOK222

What do you guys think of enticing Call of Duty players to RPGs? Good,Bad, just a business practice to stay alive?

A desperate move to sell copies so EA doesn't close down Bioware and/or roll their studios into EA.

I also find the comment by Epler funny. Pretty sure most gamers would agree that people interested in FPS games like COD aren't going to be interested in RPGs. Even games like DA2 where there is a lot of dialogue and managing a party in combat. He makes that comment about interpreting reality wrong, but apparently they don't even understand the COD fanbase and choose to "believe" they'll be interested in a game like DA2.

It's really just a comment to catch CODtards attention and get them to check out DA2 by saying it's something they would like. Of course it didn't work.

That's an interesting view point.

Would you say that there is no chance of mass-effect appealing to COD audience as well?

Meh I don't know about ME type games. I would guess most wouldn't though. I think there is too much walking and talking to hold CoD players' attention. Although It would be an easier medium for them to break into a RPG shooter type game. I also haven't really tried ME3's multiplayer. The comment was made in reference to DA2 though. ME isn't really a true RPG. It's more of a TPS with RPG elements.

The comment was made in reference to DA2 though. ME isn't really a true RPG. It's more of a TPS with RPG elements.

Perspective has nothing to do with RPG. Games don't become less of an RPG just because they aren't isometric, turn-based or rtwp.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I don't believe that there is a formula for how an RPG would be good - otherwise they'd all be good and everyone would be following the formula.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The comment was made in reference to DA2 though. ME isn't really a true RPG. It's more of a TPS with RPG elements.

Perspective has nothing to do with RPG. Games don't become less of an RPG just because they aren't isometric, turn-based or rtwp.

But gameplay does and I would say that a game needs to have a certain amount of level progression before its considered an RPG.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Has nothing to do with what I said. I didn't mention third person camera. I mentioned third person shooter.

I don't believe that there is a formula for how an RPG would be good - otherwise they'd all be good and everyone would be following the formula.

What about the Bioware formula? :p Edited by Grimlorn

Has nothing to do with what I said. I didn't mention third person camera. I mentioned third person shooter.

What about the Bioware formula? :p

While a lot of Bioware games follow similar patterns, they've done so to greater and lesser success (IMO).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

MLB The Show has fantastic level progression. It lets me create a character and build him up through the different levels of baseball. Is that an RPG?

...no, but I'm interested in playing it now.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I don't understand people who play COD. Maybe it's just as well. Give me something like Quake 2 or Painkiller for the action bits :biggrin:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think we can't answer by a simple yes or no to the question. What is important is the intention of the makers of the games. Of course, there is nothing in a RPG that makes it unable to be enjoyed by someone that loves playing a FPS (I think so at least, but I don't play shooters at all). After all, I'm a lot into grand strategy games like Europa Universalis or war games. Yet, I do love a game like PST.

Would I like a mix between both ? Not really sure. I didn't feel very impressed by the gameplay of King Arthur, the roleplaying strategy game fo instance.

To get back to what I wrote about intention, I would say that if the developers intent to develop a RPG that is enjoyable both from the gameplay and the story, that may become a success. But if their intention is to transform a RPG into a shooter with RPG elements and story, there is no reason for it to be a success. You don't add apples and oranges.

Just to make things clear, I enjoy both RPGs and strategy games. I don't like shooters and action games (at least those I played and that are considered very good games by those that like shooters or action games).

I sometimes like mixes between RPG and strategy games (like the heroes of might and magic series) but a lot of the mixes didn't convince me (King Arthur as stated above or Spellforce).

So those mixes are not a success for someone like me. To get back to Bioware, which made a lot of games I do appreciate, I stopped buying Bioware games after ME2. I didn't like ME2 and thus lose interest in the following product. Now, for me to get back to a Bioware game, I need to be convinced again by people I know (here or elsewhere) that the gameplay is less action/shooter/cinematics.

And I'm no hater or deceived fan. I'm just a guy that play games that I enjoy and don't play games I don't.

Which is again irrelevant, a third person shooter can be an RPG, just like an FPS.

But gameplay does and I would say that a game needs to have a certain amount of level progression before its considered an RPG.

Absolutely, but being a TPS doesn't mean you can't have level progression.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Which is again irrelevant, a third person shooter can be an RPG, just like an FPS.

Read my original post again, then point out where I say that a TPS can't be a RPG. I just said ME series isn't really RPGs because they're mostly shooter with only some RPG elements like leveling. You can of course disagree, but I don't care.