Do you want to see an overworld that is more like Baldur's Gate 1 or more like Baldurs Gate 2?

I have to go with BG2. Free-roam is nice and all, but the sheer quality of the zones, both in content and in details, from BG2 outshines those of BG1 by a margin. I'd rather PE focus on less awesome content than lots of okay content.

Baldur's Gate 1 definitely.

One of the things that Baldur's Gate 1 did brilliantly was it didn't put a lot of pressure on you to do anything in particular. The world wasn't required to be saved immediately. You had next to no knowledge about where to go, what to do, or why you were doing it. That fit absolutely perfectly with the zone system, effectively allowing you to explore the entire Sword Coast and stumble across the actual plot eventually.

I would love for PE to go for something similar to that, offering loads of extra areas, not central to the plot, that could be explored in the same way as BG1's map.

• Like 2

There should be as much area to explore as there is interesting content. Out-of-the-way optional areas are cool, but only if they have something in them more interesting than 12 Gnolls, 3 wolves, and a bear that swallowed a garnet necklace.

every area you could travel too in BG1 had something(s) to do in them, minor quests, bounty hunters, basilisk nests, mad wizards/priests, Planewalkers looking for their pet demons etc....it made the world feel more fleshed out and gave you a sense of wonder.

Between BG1 and BG2, I preferred BG1's map style. The only reason it was occasionally annoying originally (to me) was because of the disc-swapping. But that wouldn't be an issue today (heh) so I prefer having at least some "unimportant" areas....when every area has a story purpose (or something similar) then the "world" feels more confined and less real to me.

That said, I don't necessarily need/want super-duper giant, open free-roaming ala Skyrim. But I like having the feeling that I'm traveling somewhere and having at least some travel-zones, or whatever you want to call them, appeals to me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I agree with the Storm of Zehir map preference. Failing that, a Fallout 2 map would be ok as well.

Though when I looked at the forum and saw "Do you want to see an overw..." I thought this would be about overweight companions... I'd vote in favour of those.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

BG1 map beats BG2 hands down, it offered you a whole world and felt much more real for doing that. BG2 kind of felt like the only important parts of the world were the ones relating to your main quest.

Part of the change between the two though might be down to the player having been through BG1 and the developers not wanting to bother a high level player with worgs, xvarts and cows etc.