Live recorded music, Poll 2.0

310 members have voted

1. 1. Which types of live recorded music do you think are viable for Project Eternity?

• There should be no live recorded music: it will divert money from other parts of the game
    • Small ensembles and soloists recordings
    • Small ensembles and soloists with maybe some cheaper orchestra for parts where it's really needed
    • I prefer full orchestral score
    • I don't care
  2. 2. What do you think about uncommon medeival/ancient musical instruments?

• I'm opposed to hiring musicians to do live recordings with medieval/ancient instruments: it diverts money from other parts of the game
    • I want some live recordings of uncommon medieval/ancient musical instruments in the game's score
    • I want many live recordings of uncommon medieval/ancient musical instruments in the game's score (if it is not too expensive)
    • I want as many live recordings of uncommon medieval/ancient musical instruments in the game's score as possible
    • I don't care

Yay live recorded music!

I'm not even going to bother with suggestions. Everyone in the world has their own "best music" and pretty much no one really agrees on what that is, so I'll leave it to them.

The only concern I have is high quality recording and playback. 5.1 surround mix stored at 320kbps MP3 please!

A 5.1 music mix isn't something I've considered, but it's an interesting idea. Not sure what Unity's down/up-mixing capabilities are yet, but if they are flexible enough, a 5.1 mix isn't out of the question. It just has to make sense in terms workload and what not...

Some, not much. The only thing I'm against is choirs. ESPECIALLY the big, cheesy, robust faux-latin trailer music choirs.

I think the most epic music creeps under your skin, surprises you and even scares you. Making things bombastic (through said choirs) I think is a cheap and unoriginal approach. So I hope there will be alot of mysterious, atmospheric tunes.

Edited by Melanchior
  • Like 1

I really enjoy music, but I'm not an expert on it. Please could somebody explain what the benefit is of using live instrumentation? Thank you.

Sound. Even the best synths can't reproduce the same exact quality that a live performer/instrument can.

• Like 1

Don't be like that Constance girl, she's weird - Manager @ Disneyland

RL Bard, Storyteller, and Costumer

I really enjoy music, but I'm not an expert on it. Please could somebody explain what the benefit is of using live instrumentation? Thank you.

Sound. Even the best synths can't reproduce the same exact quality that a live performer/instrument can.

Okay, thanks. Maybe I've just been listening to electronica for too long then. :blush:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

A 5.1 music mix isn't something I've considered, but it's an interesting idea. Not sure what Unity's down/up-mixing capabilities are yet, but if they are flexible enough, a 5.1 mix isn't out of the question. It just has to make sense in terms workload and what not...

Oh, please, please, please... Audiophiles like me crave high-quality sound both in the music and the sound effects. No matter what the graphics look like, I'm still staring at a screen, but exceptional sound speaks directly to the soul. :w00t:

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I don't really care if the music is live or sampled. But I hope for variety. A very uniform sound tapestry has its advantages (for example easy recognition and coherent feel) but ultimately gets old fast.

Nearly off topic, the best music in an RPG goes to: the title music of Arcanum. Together with that wonderful intro movie with the zeppelin is something that is forever burned into my brain.

After carefully considering this issue for the last couple of days, I have come to the inevitable conclusion that the perfect music for this game would be old-school gangsta rap.

You wouldn't be the only one :)

I'm glad to hear that. :dancing:

Mah homie Justin on tha beat? Dis be tha shiznit dawg!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM4jmjhYH_I

That should be that game's theme song. I think it would be worth doing that solely for the outrage that would erupt. :aiee:

True, but live recorded music costs $$$ and takes a lot of time to do right.

While there is a place for grandeur, I prefer the intimate and soulful music of Arcanum to most soundtracks. Arcanum was also a somber and morose setting, where the world was in the decaying stages of transition. Given what is known about P:E's music, I imagine a string quartet should suffice. I speculate it will be a cross between the melancholy of Arcanum and the mystery of Planescape: Torment, with occasional overtures of Baldur's Gate battle music for prominent conflicts.

Oh, please, please, please... Audiophiles like me crave high-quality sound both in the music and the sound effects. No matter what the graphics look like, I'm still staring at a screen, but exceptional sound speaks directly to the soul. :w00t:

Make it binaural ;) even better! (lol)

Wait, so is Mr Justin Bell the composer, or the sound designer that will work with another composer, or what?

Also, put a lot of counterpoint in your compositions. Thanks!

As his title says he's Lead Audio Designer. I think it's too early to say if he's going to compose the soundtrack himself or will they have some contract composer do it. Bell did music for KS trailer and that was great, but Lead Audio Designer surely sounds like job with lots of responsibilities so I doubt if he has time to do all work just by himself.:)

We'll see.

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg