Live recorded music, Poll 2.0

310 members have voted

1. 1. Which types of live recorded music do you think are viable for Project Eternity?

• There should be no live recorded music: it will divert money from other parts of the game
    • Small ensembles and soloists recordings
    • Small ensembles and soloists with maybe some cheaper orchestra for parts where it's really needed
    • I prefer full orchestral score
    • I don't care
  2. 2. What do you think about uncommon medeival/ancient musical instruments?

• I'm opposed to hiring musicians to do live recordings with medieval/ancient instruments: it diverts money from other parts of the game
    • I want some live recordings of uncommon medieval/ancient musical instruments in the game's score
    • I want many live recordings of uncommon medieval/ancient musical instruments in the game's score (if it is not too expensive)
    • I want as many live recordings of uncommon medieval/ancient musical instruments in the game's score as possible
    • I don't care

(perfect for boss fight or in softer wersion even tavern music :)

Heh, I'm a big fan of Garmarna's version of Herr Mannelig :)

Garmarna is one of the very few "real" groups I listen to, mostly I just listen to game/movie soundtracks. Although it's been quite some time now since a movie soundtrack managed to grab me, they mostly just use boring underscore stuff. So it's mostly game soundtracks :p

So We have 2 track Alrady In Extromo For BOSS Fights and Garmarna's version for tavern or other "Epic" moments hehe ..

Herr Mannelig (From Wikipedia)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Herr Mannelig (also known as "Herr Mannerlig" and "Bergatrollets frieri [The Courting of the Mountain Troll]"[1]) is a medieval style Swedish ballad that tells the story of a female mountain troll who proposes marriage to a knight.

Contents

Plot

The troll is trying to convince Sir Mannelig (
: Herr Mannelig) to marry her. She showers him with gifts but he refuses her, because he realizes that she is not a
woman but a troll (a
creature). She is desperate about her failure, because winning Sir Mannelig would have "freed her of her torment" (presumably of the curse of living as a troll).

And some from witcher
;)

Beautyfull
:w00t:
........song.

(Sexual Content if your not 18 pleas don;t complain
:p
)

And faghting song.

Edited by ArchBeast

By the way if someone is interted in English lirics of Herr Manneling

For some reason listening to this reminded me of Celtic music and now i'm listening to Celtic/Folk music again. Man I love this song..... the music is so beautiful, I would love to hear some Celtic/Folk music in PE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yJEpuT-SSE

• Like 1

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

For some reason listening to this reminded me of Celtic music and now i'm listening to Celtic/Folk music again. Man I love this song..... the music is so beautiful, I would love to hear some Celtic/Folk music in PE.

Yeah, celtic music is nice, I like the band Lúnasa quite a bit :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peQWPcZaRhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfLK-r26aYg

• Like 1

I must say (and I know I won't make friends with that) that I really can't hear "The Witcher" anymore, nor a lot of the Goth themes many associate with it or many Witcher fans prefer. I believe the music would NOT fit a game like Project Eternity, nor will Viking songs or dark metal themes nor the Skyrim score...

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Witcher games and think they're a shining example of how mature RPGs can look like when not following the typical north american and/or tolkienesque conventions. But the first HUGE mistake CD Project Red made with me was throwing a Nightwish CD into my game box of the Witcher 1. I can't find any words for how much this little detail annoyed me, because it directly shoved the whole game into a certain corner I dislike with passion, and I almost didn't start the game because I was under the wrong impression Nightwish was even part of the game soundtrack. I might've been a goth too in my late teens, but nowadays I don't want my music nor my games being in stereotypical corner like that. And after last night's chat when every 5th comment was "how do you guys like the Witcher games?" I'm just annoyed. That's coming from a person who bought the game 3 times including collector's edition and whatnot.

Okay, rant over, but....

I hope Justin or whoever will finally be responsible will make a unique score that doesn't only please Goth/Dark Metal heads, nor wannabe-elf-princesses nor radio listeners.

I've been very impressed by the work of Clint Mansell lately. Especially soundtrack of The Fountain (A Film by Darren Aronofsky) is great example of how to build unbearable suspension and many different emotions from one fairly simple theme and with reasonable resources. I don't think that score was very expensive to make compared to many others. Lots of soloists and small ensembles used.

This particular score might be too modern for fantasy game, but it might contain some valuable ideas.

Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUgC6215Gko

More epic one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihF_aXi-Huk

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Hmmm..... now i'm drifting to other parts of youtube and loving it.

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

I must say (and I know I won't make friends with that) that I really can't hear "The Witcher" anymore, nor a lot of the Goth themes many associate with it or many Witcher fans prefer. I believe the music would NOT fit a game like Project Eternity, nor will Viking songs or dark metal themes nor the Skyrim score...

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Witcher games and think they're a shining example of how mature RPGs can look like when not following the typical north american and/or tolkienesque conventions. But the first HUGE mistake CD Project Red made with me was throwing a Nightwish CD into my game box of the Witcher 1. I can't find any words for how much this little detail annoyed me, because it directly shoved the whole game into a certain corner I dislike with passion, and I almost didn't start the game because I was under the wrong impression Nightwish was even part of the game soundtrack. I might've been a goth too in my late teens, but nowadays I don't want my music nor my games being in stereotypical corner like that. And after last night's chat when every 5th comment was "how do you guys like the Witcher games?" I'm just annoyed. That's coming from a person who bought the game 3 times including collector's edition and whatnot.

Okay, rant over, but....

I hope Justin or whoever will finally be responsible will make a unique score that doesn't only please Goth/Dark Metal heads, nor wannabe-elf-princesses nor radio listeners.

What a senseless post. So you are basically saying that you don't want Witcher-style music in this because CDPR put Nightwish CD in their gamebox and you bought it? And now you bunch Nightwish and The Witcher soundtrack together, even though they are almost completely different? Are you also one of those people who don't like it when mashed potatoes and vegetables touch each other on your plate? I mean no offence, but isn't that basically the same thing?

Maybe you could tell us what isn't in your 'stereotypical corner', because you blacklisted almost all styles fitting into medieval setting? This so called "dark metal" doesn't even have it's own themes. It draws inspiration from classical music and if that's banned also then we probably end up enjoying the silence for whole game.

BTW I love Nightwish, but I have never been goth nor have I ever been so called metal-head either. I just love good music in all it's forms so don't you talk about stereotypes cause you have clearly created them in your own mind. I was in Nightwish concert last summer and didn't see single goth in audience, but lots of ordinary music lovers from children to elderly people. If you have somehow managed to create antipathy for one of the greatest game soundtracks of all time because of that "stereotypical goth-band" then it's your loss.

EDIT: Last sentence in your post is pretty harsh generalization. Just because you have limited taste in music it doesn't mean everyone else is like that. Open mind is best way to approach all music, prejudice is useless and prevents you from enjoying game in full.

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 2

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Also, I'm so happy the live recordings made it into the game! The music is probably the number 1 reason for me instantly falling in love with the old IE games, as silly it may sound from a *gamer* perspective.
Yet, the old IE games used very little if any live instruments in their soundtracks. It's all samplers and digital manipulations.

...... How come I've never heard this in Skyrim? Is that fan made or something?

Dovakiin from skyrim, malukah version (example) (amatour

...... How come I've never heard this in Skyrim? Is that fan made or something?

Dovakiin from skyrim, malukah version (example) (amatour

Yeah fully fanmade(I think :p), theres even mode for adding this music to the game :)

My god man... that is simply amazing. So much more better than the music skyrim offers, which I'm assuming is why it was made in the first place. I'm lovin it.

This video was kinda annoying, seems like the guy who uploaded it took two songs and then merged them without giving any credits or info about the songs.

Good songs though, first it plays the Romeo and Juliett theme by Nino Rota and then it plays Sad Romance by Thao Ngyuen.

My god man... that is simply amazing. So much more better than the music skyrim offers, which I'm assuming is why it was made in the first place. I'm lovin it.

I'm to, but i don't play with it becouse i have polish language version and when i hear polish voices with engish voices.... lets say it don't fitt together :)

But theres another to musisc "Fan made" or at least with artis permision for adding their music to mode (so prapobly amatours)

Thes two ar desined for dragon fights ... when i hear it... it's just EPIC. And fighing with this is just Beautyfulll .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCFuP3rM2w

And secound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDE2VQzghp4

And from that moment I am absuletly 100% for metal music for boss-fights...

This video was kinda annoying, seems like the guy who uploaded it took two songs and then merged them without giving any credits or info about the songs.

Good songs though, first it plays the Romeo and Juliett theme by Nino Rota and then it plays Sad Romance by Thao Ngyuen.

Yeah I was just bouncing around youtube listening to music and saw some violin music, never thought I'd care much for it until I stopped to listen to it. Thought to myself 'I listen to that all the time in video games'. And then I got hooked.

Okay, rant over, but....

What a senseless post. So you are basically saying that you don't want Witcher-style music in this because CDPR put Nightwish CD in their gamebox and you bought it? And now you bunch Nightwish and The Witcher soundtrack together, even though they are almost completely different? Are you also one of those people who don't like it when mashed potatoes and vegetables touch each other on your plate? I mean no offence, but isn't that basically the same thing?

Maybe you could tell us what isn't in your 'stereotypical corner', because you blacklisted almost all styles fitting into medieval setting? This so called "dark metal" doesn't even have it's own themes. It draws inspiration from classical music and if that's banned also then we probably end up enjoying the silence for whole game.

BTW I love Nightwish, but I have never been goth nor have I ever been so called metal-head either. I just love good music in all it's forms so don't you talk about stereotypes cause you have clearly created them in your own mind. I was in Nightwish concert last summer and didn't see single goth in audience, but lots of ordinary music lovers from children to elderly people. If you have somehow managed to create antipathy for one of the greatest game soundtracks of all time because of that "stereotypical goth-band" then it's your loss.

EDIT: Last sentence in your post is pretty harsh generalization. Just because you have limited taste in music it doesn't mean everyone else is like that. Open mind is best way to approach all music, prejudice is useless and prevents you from enjoying game in full.

No, I didn't blacklist almost every style, I think I'm generally very open minded about music. This was just a very personal rant after having hung out too long on the Witcher forums and seeing the style just being mentioned one time too often. I can't even describe it better than I did above, so just take it as what it is, a personal subjective opinion.

Hey, look, it's a thread I have some expert knowledge in!

There are a LOT of appropriate folk music groups in SoCal, some of which specialize in strange instruments as mentioned in the poll. (Serpent and hurdygurty, etc). And I know them or how to get in touch with them. I'm sure Bell does too, but hey, this one I can offer some notes on.

As for music - I'm gonna toss out the link to the celtic folk-rock group I was with for a while, Sportive Tricks. They've performed at Faires and pubs in SoCal (Mostly OC - GRR!) but you may also be interested in Poxy Boggards or Merry Wives of Windsor if this is your kind of sound. I'd also recommend Wren of Iniquity if they're going for a more polished style.

http://www.sportivet...rchandise.cfm Sportive Tricks Music

I wrote Ode to Whiskey and composed the counter-harmony on Twa Corbies. I'm the soprano on the album. :D

Cheers! - Constance

Edited by Conconhead

Don't be like that Constance girl, she's weird - Manager @ Disneyland

RL Bard, Storyteller, and Costumer

Oh man, what a day! We. Did. It!

Live instruments will be in the score and you guys played a big part of that. Even for those of you who feel that this is an unnecessary cost, I still appreciate the fact that you came on here and voiced your opinion. To you guys, I assure you, this stretch goal will not detract from the main game in any way.

I've been inspired by this conversation, and others that we've had on this forum, and it's really helped me think everything through. I have some great ideas now for how the score for PE will sound. I also know we won't be able to please everyone with the score, though I do know that we will do the best we can to make something that we hope you will enjoy! No matter what it takes, that's the goal.

The dust still hasn't settled from this amazing day. Thanks to all you guys who supported PE, we really did have an AMAZING day. But I'm eager to get a backer update out there about our plans for the score. We'll see. It will come, I just don't know when. Keep talking about this, I want to hear what's on your mind. In the meantime, work on South Park remains, and that game is going to be awesome too!

So yeah. Thanks awesome music supporters.

Thanks, Justin, for taking your time to read through all these posts here!

Looking forward to the update on music (whenever it'll happen).

Btw, please don't forget to try to play The Witcher 1 and see how the music there fits into the game ;)

I like smaller ensambles for the majority of the music. Something that can set a mood without needing to be over powering. Of course for those epic moments a full orchestra with vocalization is always welcome.

Considering the different cultures seem like they'll play a large role I would like areas associated with each culture to have it's own unique sound if at all possible. I think it helps as you as a player develope a feel for a culture in game very quickly regardless of delving too deeply into their history.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Yay live recorded music!

I'm not even going to bother with suggestions. Everyone in the world has their own "best music" and pretty much no one really agrees on what that is, so I'll leave it to them.

The only concern I have is high quality recording and playback. 5.1 surround mix stored at 320kbps MP3 please!