Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which historical elements to you want to see in Project Eternity: the Poll

setting

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Just how historical should the setting of PE be? (208 member(s) have cast votes)

Which historical social issues would you like to see?

1. Misogyny - Women are subservient to men (91 votes [8.90%])

Percentage of vote: 8.90%

2. Voted Disease - Diseases are common and potentially deadly (145 votes [14.17%])

Percentage of vote: 14.17%

3. Brutality - Harsh punishments and torture are common (148 votes [14.47%])

Percentage of vote: 14.47%

4. Class differences - The poor are serfs or have no say in society (170 votes [16.62%])

Percentage of vote: 16.62%

5. Intolerance - Religious and ethnic divides are more pronounced (166 votes [16.23%])

Percentage of vote: 16.23%

6. Colonization - "Modern" societies are exploiting more "primitive" ones (150 votes [14.66%])

Percentage of vote: 14.66%

7. Religion - Religious institutions have real influence on the governments (153 votes [14.96%])

Percentage of vote: 14.96%

How big impact should magic have made on the society?

1. Huge - Societies are nothing like their real- world historical counterparts (25 votes [12.02%])

Percentage of vote: 12.02%

2. Large - Societies differ a lot from those in the history books (97 votes [46.63%])

Percentage of vote: 46.63%

3. Voted Medium (61 votes [29.33%])

Percentage of vote: 29.33%

4. Small - Societies are by and large similar to historical ones (22 votes [10.58%])

Percentage of vote: 10.58%

5. Tiny - Societies are exact analogies of historical ones (3 votes [1.44%])

Percentage of vote: 1.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

licketysplit

licketysplit

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 409 posts
Good poll. I chose all of them. To those I might add superstition and xenophobia.

Freddo

Freddo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm interested in Class differences, Intolerance, Colonization and Religion the most.

Not really interested in Misogyny, several of my favorite female NPCs in past RPGs been high-ranking people like knights or higher. Not to say the game must not include a any misogynic NPCs, but I don't want it to be a general trait of the society. Nor am I really interested in seeing a group of feminist NPCs fighting for equality or whatever.
  • timobkg and eimatshya like this

Adauli

Adauli

Red Wizard of the Obisidian Order

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I allways thought that when there is Magic there will be for sure huge differences to the History of earth simply because the magic users have power in theyr hand that in some cases go even boyond what our curent technology can do and this already at times where bow and arrow is the most modern technology.
Thats also the reason I think Misogyny and Dieases have no big role compared to earth history.

Edited by Adauli, 07 October 2012 - 09:08 AM.

• eimatshya likes this

CrazedWeevil

CrazedWeevil

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Crazed Weevil
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
I wouldn't mind any of the things listed to be in Project Eternity, however controversial they may or may not be. But neither do I want to see them in the game just because they can. I'd like to see a clear reason for why things are the way they are in the world.

If you look at human history you can often see the reasons way certain points of view happened during different times and why they change as well. It would be good if PE has the same attention to detail so that view points made a logical sense for existing. I thought Dragon Age did a good job of this, especially explaining the main religion and the hatred of mages. It made the setting much more believable and to be honest it was main reason I liked the game and its setting despite its other flaws.
  • FlintlockJazz and SGray like this

Hobo Elf

Hobo Elf

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
The thing about many of these topics is that they are often used to portray how primitive the society is compared to ours, as well as social commentary on how primitive our society can still be even today. Since the game world has guns I feel it's safe to assume that it will have other technological advancements. So if technology can advance, why can't society? What I mean is that it would be nice to, for once, be in a world where global changes to society are happening as well. For example: living in the aftermath of slavery being abolished, or where the upper class aristocrats aren't the elite citizens anymore, and people of lower class are starting to have more rights. I think it would be fun to explore a world that's making a transition into a new era. You get to see the old world as well as a glimpse at the future and what changes it will bring.
Arcanum was kind of like this, except what I have in mind is Arcanum just before the human industrial boom happened. Or perhaps midway.

Edited by Hobo Elf, 07 October 2012 - 12:21 PM.

AW8

AW8

Shadow Assassin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Everything but worldwide misogyny, really. I like conflicts, discrimination and hatred as it makes for a more interesting world.

But I prefer there to be no default misogyny in fantasy settings, as seen in Star Wars and the Elder Scrolls. I'd like to see societies where female are deemed superior, and societies where men are deemed superior. But for most of the world I'd like to see gender equality. There are enough versions of the "female warrior disguises herself as a man and proves her worth, then removes her disguise, showing everyone that women are just as capable as men!"-scenario already. I'd rather have that as status quo from the start.

Even though people of high rank are still more likely to be men in such a world, there's at least possible for you to meet a ruler that makes you say "Wow, the ruler is a woman!".

Edited by AW8, 07 October 2012 - 01:10 PM.

• FlintlockJazz, eimatshya and Ingledsy like this

Archy

Archy

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts
Would love every one you mentioned and a rather large magic impact. Mages are clearly a part of the world and have impact but let obsidian decide what kind.

Every theme you mentioned would make the world feel more alive. As a recent example skyrim in addition to being flawed in a million other ways hardly had any of those and felt even more dead because of it. Whatever little was implemented didnt have any emotional impact and was just there for the sake of it. Make all those themes a seemless part of the world and you have a stage set for limitless interesting dilemmas and choices. The more political/religious/ethic/whateverelse themes there are for my character to reflect upon the more immersed I become.

Edited by Archy, 07 October 2012 - 08:28 PM.

bronzepoem

bronzepoem

Kung Fu Master of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Very interesting topic

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I wouldn't mind any of the things listed to be in Project Eternity, however controversial they may or may not be. But neither do I want to see them in the game just because they can. I'd like to see a clear reason for why things are the way they are in the world.

Personally, I agree. I think such cultural melting pot fits the reputation system Obsidian have been maturing suites such world. It would be a fun place for role-playing by having variety of potential themes to be explored.

@AW8
Yeah, again, some variations would be nice. In FONV, while the Legion is quite male-centered, NCR have quite many female high ranking officers (not a surprise if you know the lore). Even in the Middle Ages, there were some female rulers but, I wonder how much of it is reflected to the lower classes of the society. Also, as some people mentioned, magic may have a role in male-female political relationship.

Would love every one you mentioned and a rather large magic impact. Mages are clearly a part of the world and have impact but let obsidian decide what kind.

Obsidian's brainstorming seem to have gone as far as a kind of market of the souls where poor people are forced to sell their souls - literally. I wonder if it comes into the actual game, though. For example, even further, soul stock market or something like that sounds too "modern" and satirical, which can destroy some of mythic feeling around the "soul." :lol:

septembervirgin

septembervirgin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm unpleasantly surprised by the amount of people who want to see misogyny. It's not as if this doesn't exist presently. Then again, maybe all these voters are from egalitarian communes and have no experience with misogyny at all. I know there's a dearth of realistic misogyny in games, though... but to be honest, I'm not sure a designer living a relatively luxurious life wishes to fill a game with obnoxious qualities that offend a numerous portion of the fanbase both established and potential.
  • Ingledsy likes this

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
No, you must be mistaken. I think you are making a mistake of mixing our real world politics with that of the imaginary word.

I'd like the PE world to have cultural/political variations. It's quite natural for each culture to have their own values in various things (or such values define each culture, in other words) - different viewpoints to men and women are just one possible aspect. I don't deny any aspect of human histories and I'd like to see some of them in the PE world in different shapes. However, at the same time, I'd like the designers to let the players allow to have their own stances. - this may be tough if a certain culture were dominant but, here is the point: the PE world is designed with cultural variations in mind. This is about the basics of role-playing games - building up personalized stories by playing roles, taking stances in imaginary settings. This is why the reputation system by Sawyer caught my attention in the first place. Besides PST, poor Obsidian have been tracked by me since then. :lol:
  • timobkg likes this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10612 posts
I vote no to polls...

Somebody mentioned Xenophobia. Always a good source of conflicts. How about conservative versus progressive factions? Cultural imperialism (my gothic arcs are superior to your roman arcs, therefore you are an inferior being only suitable to live in mud holes, since you can't make a proper building)? Fashion fascists... Those who wear nose rings are superior to those who have nipple rings, kick the bastards with bad piercing taste outside the city walls. Somebody mentioned class struggle. I liked the way DA:O portrayed the caste system amongst the dwarves. Arranged political (and economical) marriages. Millennia old family feuds. Urbanisation versus hunter/gatherers and the "taming of the land" ("civilization" encroaching on fiercely independent people). Natural disasters and mass migrations. Incurable plagues (of divine origin?), cursed lands...

Lots of issues to provide conflicts. In fact, the world is full of them :)

• SGray likes this

eimatshya

eimatshya

The Obsidian Order's Assigner of Ergativity

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm not really interested in seeing wide-scale misogyny in P:E. If there are certain cultures in which one sex is subservient, that's fine, but I think it would quickly become tedious for female characters to have to constantly prove their worth everywhere they go.

Disease also seems like it might be a bit odd, given the relative prevalence of magic, although I suppose there could be magical plagues like the wailing death.

Most of the other stuff seems fine to me, although I would be more interested in seeing how the game could explore the issues arising from the nature of souls. I think using medieval Europe as a base to extrapolate what a medieval society with widespread magic and reincarnation would look like would be really interesting. Figuring out how issues like colonialism and class would pan out in such a society seems far more interesting than cloning the prejudices and social problems of our middle ages and then dropping magic in.

Edited by eimatshya, 07 October 2012 - 11:09 PM.

• FlintlockJazz and Ingledsy like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
And you didn't say mayhaps.

ddillon

ddillon

Hellion of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't have a particular desire to see misogyny pervading the gameworld, but I do *not* want to see petite teen girls wielding gigantic two-handed weapons. Okay? I get that you have equal worth as a human being. Cool. That doesn't grant you the ability to defy physics. No, I don't care if you can channel soul power into strength. It's still stupid.

Now, a woman with a very athletic, amazonian build wielding a wicked two-handed axe... That could be cool.

Also: I don't want weapons for anyone, men or women, that are as big as the character wielding them. I *hate* that.

---

I'm not in the mood for writing much, so forgive my comical tone. Tried to get my point across without being too wordy, etc. ;)

Edited by ddillon, 07 October 2012 - 11:37 PM.

• Rostere and FlintlockJazz like this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10612 posts

I don't have a particular desire to see misogyny pervading the gameworld, but I do *not* want to see petite teen girls wielding gigantic two-handed weapons. Okay? I get that you have equal worth as a human being.

Gunpowder. The great equaliser ;)

• SGray likes this

Nakia

Nakia

Rogue of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:nakiarogue
  • Kickstarter Backer
I am interested in a fantasy game not historical game. In order to have conflict in the game there will need to be conflicts not just with monsters and bandits which could get boring unless very innovative but with societies, classes, people in general, religions, prejudices.
Ideally for me the story should contain the ability to combat these things either by diplomacy or combat. It would be nice to be able to choose sides in some dispute.

As for magic it should play a role but should not be available for everyone. I like that gunpowder is available and can be used against wizards. I think the development of technology makes for a more interesting scenario.

Edited by Nakia, 07 October 2012 - 11:48 PM.

Gecimen

Gecimen

Bartender of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Gecimen
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Well that's completely personal but I'd like to battle with religious fanatics if possible, and even convert some if possible.

septembervirgin

septembervirgin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would like it if our character can join cults and benefit from the contacts and community that membership in a cult provides.

Silver6986

Silver6986

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Some of the issues suggested don't (from what little we know) seem to have any relevance to the PE world. Like Tech VS Faith - I'm not seeing a reason so far for religions to have any opposition to technology. In real life, religious opposition to technology (which was and is a lot more nuanced than common knowledge suggests) was mainly based on contradiction of doctrine. Since in PE the existence of Deities seems proven beyond all reasonable doubt, why should technological development change that? And disease - given that we've got healing magic that can mend a great-sword wound in a moment, that might suggest disease to be something less of a problem.

Also, I've never really liked misogyny being a massive theme in fantasy. Not least because a female mage can reduce you to dust just as well as a male one.

This all depends on a number of factors doesn't it? Say we take what the devs have said to be true with regards to the current landscape whereby there will be pockets of primitive societies, I would be quite happy to see misogynist examples made within such a place (if it is an interactive environment for example). But yes in a more developed setting I can see your point. I guess it depends on just how prevelant magic is?

I know it is tied to souls, but just how much of the common folk know the potential of their soul and how to access this? We don't know this yet.

Same with disease, in said primitive cultures this could be a real issue, expecially so if the culture shuns magic.

I think with everything I voted for I would be happy to see these within the setting of PE, they don't have to be massive, just relevant.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: setting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users