Boxed Version - DRM Free?

Hello,

I was thinking of upgrading to the $65 tier for the boxed version, but I'm only really interested in it if it will definitely be DRM free. The only information I could find on this particular topic was wishy-washy at best.

That's awesome, BUT:

what about the boxed version?

Am I to understand the disc will be Steam-infested?

Perhaps there will be a way to redeem the key through GoG instead? I know nothing about such technology!

Not promising anything yet, but we'll look into how to do that best. We wanted to use Steam to give folks achievements and cloud saves (we're not interested in the DRM features, just its streaming and gamer stuff) but it may be possible for us to support DRM free on the disc, but still give fans of Steam access to those things.

Again not promising that, but that's how I'd ideally like to see it handled and we'll see what we can do!

-TG

Has there been a newer answer to this topic that I missed? I really don't want to upgrade and risk having a disc laden with DRM, or not upgrading only to find out later that it was indeed DRM free!

Thanks!

This is important for me as well.

I'd like to know I can just pop in the dvd and install away,

even 15 years from now when gog.com and steam are both bankrupt and not answering the ping.

I guess the steam features won't be on the gog version anyway, so why not instead put the DRM free

version on the disk and include a steam version as well?

Anyway, if the DVD is DRM free I'll go for the collectors box, but if it's not I'll stick with the $20 download.

Still some 10 days left to make the announcement and grab the extra $100 from me...

This is important for me as well.

even 15 years from now when gog.com and steam are both bankrupt and not answering the ping.

I guess the steam features won't be on the gog version anyway, so why not instead put the DRM free

version on the disk and include a steam version as well?

Anyway, if the DVD is DRM free I'll go for the collectors box, but if it's not I'll stick with the $20 download.

Still some 10 days left to make the announcement and grab the extra $100 from me...

Can't you just download the GOG DRM-free version game installer and burn to disc? I thought the point of GOG was to not use a wrapper that required a connection to install or play or anything like that.

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Can't you just download the GOG DRM-free version game installer and burn to disc? I thought the point of GOG was to not use a wrapper that required a connection to install or play or anything like that.

Yeah, but I don't want to purchase a dvd version and then burn the dvd myself.

If you got it over Steam that might be an issue, however your Good Old Games installation files would work just fine as there is no DRM and no calling-home! That's the lovely thing about GoG!

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

OK, but RicoSuave was talking about the boxed version itself.

I'd like to know too !

I've no Steam/GoG account, and I'm not planning to create one in the next decade...

You wouldn't need a GoG account either way. The only thing GoG requires an account for is making a purchase. After you download the game it's on your pc and you can do with it whatever you want. That's the good thing about GoG, it's completely DRM free.

I would assume the box version is DRM free... otherwise why bother?

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

Obsidian can develop their own Achievement system. Yeah, they have to develop it and such, but don't be lazy!!! Once it's done, you can reuse it for other games (tweaking/improving as needed). You already do that for your engines. :p

Cloud saving? Many Torchlight 2 users may have not been so happy about some of its issues. Not that cloud saving is bad per se but failures that can lead to outdated saves in the cloud overwriting your newest saved games in the harddrive are not funny. At all. I'll suppose that some techs could prevent that from happening?

Obsidian can develop their own Achievement system. Yeah, they have to develop it and such, but don't be lazy!!! Once it's done, you can reuse it for other games (tweaking/improving as needed). You already do that for your engines. :p

Cloud saving? Many Torchlight 2 users may have not been so happy about some of its issues. Not that cloud saving is bad per se but failures that can lead to outdated saves in the cloud overwriting your newest saved games in the harddrive are not funny. At all. I'll suppose that some techs could prevent that from happening?

Wrong thread, kiddo. :p There's probably a cloud saving thread around somewhere too. This is about DRM on the DVD at KS $65/other reward tiers.

The only real problem I can think of with a Steam-DRMed disc is if GOG doesn't sell the digital download to certain countries...

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Maybe yes.

We wanted to use Steam to give folks achievements and cloud saves (we're not interested in the DRM features, just its streaming and gamer stuff) but it may be possible for us to support DRM free on the disc, but still give fans of Steam access to those things.

Or maybe not.

OP is only interested in the DRM aspect. The Obsidian quote only gives Obsidian's reason for not deciding on it yet, so OP wanted to know if anything's changed only in relation to requisite DRM.

I have to say, I'd prefer that the boxed version be DRM free too. I mean I'll be grabbing the digital version from Gog anyway for the same reason, but I'd like to be able to install off the actual discs without having to worry about DRM. It will probably be quicker for me to find the boxed game on my shelf than it would be to hunt through my backup external hard drives for the Gog install or redownload it if I need to do another install.

I have to say, I'd prefer that the boxed version be DRM free too. I mean I'll be grabbing the digital version from Gog anyway for the same reason, but I'd like to be able to install off the actual discs without having to worry about DRM. It will probably be quicker for me to find the boxed game on my shelf than it would be to hunt through my backup external hard drives for the Gog install or redownload it if I need to do another install.

Well, the idea I and others posit is to burn that GOG download to disc to keep in the box...

The only issues with this route brought forth so far are (1) don't want to buy the blank and do the actual burning, and (2) GOG may not distribute to all countries.

Well, the idea I and others posit is to burn that GOG download to disc to keep in the box...

The only issues with this route brought forth so far are (1) don't want to buy the blank and do the actual burning, and (2) GOG may not distribute to all countries.

But...! It won't be installing off the nice shiny actual game disc! :p

Hm, that raises another question. I wonder if the boxed versions will require the disc to play, or if it'll just be a one-off install and you won't need it again until your computer explodes you need to install again.

Hm, that raises another question. I wonder if the boxed versions will require the disc to play, or if it'll just be a one-off install and you won't need it again until your computer explodes you need to install again.

That really would be the dumbest thing they could do. There really is no reason to make the disc necessary, so I see no reason why they would.

Needing a disc to play is a lot more annoying than needing Steam. And I like physical copies.

I would like an answer to the question posed by the original poster, too. The boxed version is near worthless to me if it requires Steam (at best, it'd be a display piece later sold as a collector's item).

That really would be the dumbest thing they could do. There really is no reason to make the disc necessary, so I see no reason why they would.

Needing a disc to play is a lot more annoying than needing Steam. And I like physical copies.

Steam is *much* more annoying than a simple disk check. It's intrusive, and it deprives you of your rights under first sale doctrine, your right to resell the game if you don't like it enough to want to keep it.

I am willing to accept basic copy protections such as simple disk checks* and offline CD/DVD-keys for physical installation media. (These are minor inconveniences, and Game Jackal is an excellent solution if you prefer physical media but don't want a disc check.)

*simple disc check meaning just that, a simple disc check that doesn't require installation of Securom/StarForce/Tages/etc on your system

The best solution would be for the install program to ask whether you want to install the Steam version (in which case the program would install to the Steam directory) or the simple CD-check version (in which case you could specify an install directory), and to also offer the game DRM-free at GOG. The only game file that would differ between the two versions on the physical disc would be the game executable (meaning that it would require only a trivial amount of disc space to offer the choice of version).

---

I very much want a non-Steam version of the game on physical media. That said, Obsidian will get some support from me regardless because of their willingness to offer the game at GOG. I truly appreciate that decision.

Edited by ddillon
  • Like 1

I thought the boxed version was going to be DRM-free regardless of where you wanted to get your digital copies. I don't know for sure though.

Obsidian has not officially said either way on the physical media...

From Feargus on the boxed version on Kickstarter just now:

@Feargus

People were asking whether the boxed copy of the game would be DRM-free or Steam-only?

@Silver

For the box, we are either going to give someone the option or it will be DRM free.

Awesome! And I know that some games, Prey and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic come to mind, that had the option of running off the disc as well as being redeemable via Steam (i.e. you can play without Steam even if you have redeemed the game on Steam). So that might be a workable solution. Or just no-DRM, that works too!

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

well if they plan on giving it drm free on gog, i dont see that they would have anything to gain by putting a drm on the disk, even if the use of drm had anything to offer at all and wasnt just a waste of money.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.