Update #16: Reward Updates, Combat with Tim, Mods, and the Mega Dungeon Grows!

I would not want a companion that looks like it should be able to occasionally help me in any way if it wasn't able to help me in any way. I don't want some sweet dog that would just watch me get attacked without jumping in.

How about a trained flying monkey that can perform simple fetch tasks but otherwise stays out of danger? :cat:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I would not want a companion that looks like it should be able to occasionally help me in any way if it wasn't able to help me in any way. I don't want some sweet dog that would just watch me get attacked without jumping in.

How about a trained flying monkey that can perform simple fetch tasks but otherwise stays out of danger? :cat:

then it would effect the game. They said its cosmetic. Also, flying monkeys are creepy

Edited by ogrezilla

then it would effect the game. They said its cosmetic. Also, flying monkeys are creepy

Call it an imp then. :sorcerer:

I guess I just don't see how we have enough information for people to be majorly disappointed in anything at this point.

For some, even a single step outside the mechanics of the classic I.E. games is cause for disappointment as seen from some of the posts on the forum.

Having followed this since the beginning and having an opportunity to step back and look at the big picture, overall I am quite pleased. Is it exactly as I pictured, no.

There is certainly a tendency for overreaction with each new announcment. Some of the announcments have made me quite excited, while others, not so much. But there has certainly been no single announcment to make me "disappointed" in the overall direction the game is headed.

(Black jaguar, btw)

• Like 2

I like the idea up above about the dog that's waiting out our redoubt/stronghold/house/wizard condo/apartment. However, I would have a cat and that would require a steward to secure foodstuff and litter and also to clean out the catbox daily. Might as well take advantage of the benefits of in-game pets and make someone do all the dirty work.

On a serious note, will we have steward and other staff? How big of a house are we talking? Arghhh, I really don't want to know, but I *do* want to know, if you see what I mean. Must. Resist. Spoiling. game.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The Nexus for mod support? Why not use Valve's Steam Workshop which makes sharing, searching, and installing mods easier on all involved?

not everyone will have the steam version

Yeah, yeah, I've read the arguments that people use to justify piracy (2DBoy listened to those arguments as well and World of Goo had an 82% piracy rate without DRM), but have you ever attempted to find anything on the Nexus? It's a usability nightmare.

I like the idea up above about the dog that's waiting out our redoubt/stronghold/house/wizard condo/apartment. However, I would have a cat and that would require a steward to secure foodstuff and litter and also to clean out the catbox daily. Might as well take advantage of the benefits of in-game pets and make someone do all the dirty work.

On a serious note, will we have steward and other staff? How big of a house are we talking? Arghhh, I really don't want to know, but I *do* want to know, if you see what I mean. Must. Resist. Spoiling. game.

I was a big proponent of slavery...that didn't come out right...

when i first heard of this project I immediately thought how great it would be to own slaves! -for evil guys ofc- <_<;

and the rest of the people could hire peasants and serfs to haul all your loot on donkeys!

• Like 1

I was a big proponent of slavery...that didn't come out right...

when i first heard of this project I immediately thought how great it would be to own slaves! -for evil guys ofc- <_<;

and the rest of the people could hire peasants and serfs to haul all your loot on donkeys!

Yes, I've had that thought as well. I think they would probably be better off not touching that idea, even though it's an adult subject.

The Nexus for mod support? Why not use Valve's Steam Workshop which makes sharing, searching, and installing mods easier on all involved?

Yeah, yeah, I've read the arguments that people use to justify piracy (2DBoy listened to those arguments as well and World of Goo had an 82% piracy rate without DRM), but have you ever attempted to find anything on the Nexus? It's a usability nightmare.

The game will be available on GOG, which have nothing to do with Steam. There is also the Mac and Linux version to take into consideration and whichever distribution system Obsidian goes with for these OSes.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I have not used the Nexus before. Sorry that others pirate games, but when DRM free is available I'm buying that version.

Um, not using the steam version has nothing to do with piracy. Some people just don't like steam and the whole DRM hassle.

I for one will use the DRM-free version from my kickstarter reward.

As for the article you linked, maybe you should have read all of it, 'cause they come to the conlusion that "there seems to be no difference in the outcomes" of piracy rates for DRM vs DRM-free games, and they think that DRM is a "waste of time and money" (quotes directly from the article).

Edited by anek
  • Like 4

Pet suggestion:

Ninja Mole -- burrows into ground when combat starts, pops up in the wrong place (repeatedly) with a "Hiiii-YAH", looks around (squinting) and then burrows again.

Regarding negative feedback, I realize many of us are huge fans of this project and are emotionally invested in its success, but please allow others to air their complaints and concerns. Maybe ask Metiman to identify any tweaks or additions he feels would address some or all of his concerns. Or ask him to explain further if they don't make sense to you. In an environment like this, I've always found it best to assume someone isn't trolling, because anyone posting negative commentary might expect to get slammed so they might be posting a little more aggressively in anticipation.

On the casting mechanics, I like low-level spells becoming unlimited at higher level. Abuses can be avoided by not having spells scale with level the way D&D does. The Fireball you cast when you first get it is not the one you cast when you're many levels higher. The damage jumps, the range might jump, and for some spells the area of effect expands. You don't want to mix that mechanic with spells becoming effectively free to cast.

One simple solution is to have a different fireball at each level that slowly scales up. If you're high level then you might be able to cast a low-level fireball all day, but it affects a small area, does much less damage than your top fireball, and is more limited in range.

One final suggestion, along with a caster mastering a lower-level spell so it becomes limitless, I'd love to see an ability to overload that spell (can't cast until full rest). If you overload your third level fireball and get 50% more range, 3 times the damage and 3 times the area of effect then that might be slightly more effective than your high-level spells. But you burn it out so if the battle isn't as close to over as you thought then ... oops.

What can I say? I'm a fan of battles that require you to pull out all the stops.

Edited by RTWAP

About pet:

- It must be sentinel, so that you can talk to him about the past day sitting by the fireplace.

- It must be linked to the main theme of the game - with the "soul"

- No combat function

In summary, this is likely to be a spirit. Such as the spirit of a long-dead sage who knew nothing about modern life, but can give advice in matters of everyday;)

The spirit of a long dead sage is not a pet. If they want to give us a pet, then it should be a pet. It's one of the ways I'm going to try to convince my wife to play the game with me. She likes all that WoWesque sort of stuff and the like.

If they come out saying that players will get pets, they should at least seriously consider small furry animals or various types. How they implement them is another story. Now, if they tell us we'll have a non-combat companion who interacts essentially like other npcs, I would rather they came right out and stated it so that it doesn't sound like a pet.

• Like 4

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If they want to give us a pet, then it should be a pet. It's one of the ways I'm going to try to convince my wife to play the game with me. She likes all that WoWesque sort of stuff and the like.

Dude, do you want me to, y'know, arrange an accident?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Steam is like every other DRM version out there... In other words it dont stop piracy in any way ;).

Also like someone else said... If there is a DRM free version of the game im going to get that.

Anyway the update overall makes the spell system look okey. Im sure the devs will tweak it as they go along.

I dont like exclusive items whenever its cosmetic, vanity or not. But thats just my opinion. If i had a choice i would allow anyone to have that item.

It really doesn't. I much prefer Nexus for searching for mods by category. It does make installing mods easier, except you don't know where anything goes and so can't make backups for files on your own. Not to mention trying to run a megamod like FOOK through the Workshop would get ugly pretty quick.

Yeah, yeah, I've read the arguments that people use to justify piracy (2DBoy listened to those arguments as well and World of Goo had an 82% piracy rate without DRM)

It also got several orders more magnitude exposure for running without DRM than it would have had with it. Moreover, if you actually read your own link, you would know that 2dboy doesn't find any difference in piracy rate between DRMed and non-DRMed games as WoG and RI had similar piracy rates. Moreover, quantifying any economic loss from piracy without quantifying economic gain is a useless endeavor.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."