Update #16: Reward Updates, Combat with Tim, Mods, and the Mega Dungeon Grows!

I am willing to bet OE will get some of those modders' attention. DA was good but working with that game was very very different than working with the IE games. I enjoyed (and still do) making minor mods for the IE games for personal use (custom classes, modifying NPCs, creating my own NPCs, custom rules, etc) and I can't wait to mess with PE.

Edited by Shevek

Okay this is the plan: Mighty Kerfluffles is the final boss of the mega dungeon. When you defeat it you can rip off a tiny part of it and animate it. From then on tiny Kerfluffles will be your loyal pet and follow you whereever you go.

Can I feed Kerfluffles to my pet hound instead? ;p

• Like 1

@Shevek

I will feed your pet hound to my Kerfluffles instead -.-

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Well, nexusmods has 2880 files listed as DA mods. Didn't expect that many myself, tbh

He was referring to spellhold and pocketplane. Are there any DA mods that give you a larger variety of monsters, gets rid of them just warping in out of nowhere, and gets rid of the cooldowns and any other MMO style combat mechanics? I looked for stuff like that when I first tried DA, but couldn't find anything.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Memorial stone is... intriguing. But I should say that hardcover artbook was more tempting.

I like this spellcasting mechanics, both level-based cooldowns and switchable grimoires. It is interesting.

As for a pet... Well, I would like small ouroboros. And I would like to equip this pet as a belt :yes:

Everyone relax, the best spell a wizard will be able to spam is actually just Colored Lights. So no OP here. But definitely a nice light show to compliment your warriors hacking and slashing!

But seriously, I'm having a hard time forming an opinion on this combat system without some hands on experience, or at least a solid example of how a fully fleshed out battle plays out.

CDs/no CDs, I think it comes down to how interesting the composition of fights are more than anything. In BG2, you were always presented with a good variety of enemies with a variety of capabilities all of which you had to take into consideration. It made you really think on how to overcome it. Many fights felt severely stacked against you. I fondly remember that fight int he sewers against that surly dwarf and his companions. This is what DA was missing, (not to mention DA had a pitifully low variety of enemies) and this is what they need to get right in PE.

One thing PE could actually improve on over BG is the melee combat, since in BG2, the command for your fighter was pretty much: take sword, poke enemy. And it seems like they're already addressing a lot of that, so that's a start.

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1

The melee combat sounded fine. It's the magic system that doesn't. I suppose I could stick to playing melee characters only.

For those who would like to see me leave the forums, unless Obsidian reverses their position on cooldowns yet again you will get your wish on October 17th when I am certain that there is no longer any chance of them changing their minds. After that you guys can quit arguing and have a big slumber party like the one that seems to be going on in the kickstarter comments. Not my cup of tea at all.

Aw, I say stick around and give everyone hell. I mean, I think you're fairly insane, but I think you should have the right to express that insanity here (within reason, of course). As long as the crazies don't cook someone's pet poodle or something, I think a nice heated debate livens up the joint.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Mages didn't go to mage school to learn to sling rocks. Just as warriors practice swings over and over again so their arm does not tire in combat, so too would mages practice to cast simple spells, damage, confusion, conditions etc. Huge works of magic, just like really elaborate attacks, will be the exception rather than the norm and that's just fine.

• Like 2

I just had to post to add: I really like the drawing of the dungeon. Something about it appeals to me. The way each layer becomes more organic and less structured. It's a fancy layered dungeon cake and I feel eager to find out what's on the bottom.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Informative.

Depending on what kind of spells they decide to implement on the lower levels of magic, it could end up being very powerful or even too powerful, considering we'll be able to cast them an unlimited number of times.

Note that he didn't answer if HPs regenerate on their own after combat.

Informative.

Depending on what kind of spells they decide to implement on the lower levels of magic, it could end up being very powerful or even too powerful, considering we'll be able to cast them an unlimited number of times.

They also didn't say how powerful auto attacking was for fighters. It could end up being very powerful or even too powerful, considering we'll be able to auto attack an unlimited number of times.

I'm sure they know spells need to be balanced based on the system they are using.

• Like 1

But if i was going for something a little oddball, i would have something connected to your soul, a spectral/astral fish /sole..sorry..or soul projected squid/jellyfish. Maybe it changes colour depending on what you are going through..turns red if in combat etc...

A Patronus! :w00t:

Informative.

They also didn't say how powerful auto attacking was for fighters. It could end up being very powerful or even too powerful, considering we'll be able to auto attack an unlimited number of times.

I'm sure they know spells need to be balanced based on the system they are using.

Guys if the spammable spells are in the order of magnitude of normal sword swings, what's unbalanced in that?

• Like 2

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

Informative.

Guys if the spammable spells are in the order of magnitude of normal sword swings, what's unbalanced in that?

I suspect they will be a bit stronger, but you will still be limited to just a few per fight. They'll likely be slower as well.

Edited by ogrezilla