How 'medieval' do you want the world of P:E to be?

pretty much the only people that didn't lead grimdark (lol internet slang, gotta love it) lives in the middle ages were rich folks...and even then...

people that think the sh1t they see on the news is bad and that "the world is going to hell" don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. We live in a utopia by comparison.

• Like 1

Personally, btw, I'm not so much itching for a world which properly reflects the real life middle ages as a world which makes sense within its own rules. In fact, a P:E world which hewed too closely to our own late middle ages/early renaissance wouldn't make much sense, because there are things like 'non-human races' and 'souls that grant magical powers' which our world has never had and which would certainly have had a major impact on our historical development if they had been present.

Simply put, if the background is late medieval/early renaissance, I'd like to see some of the brutality and backwards ideas and bigotry which underlie that setting...but I would also like to see how such a world might be effected by things like actual wizards who can cast actual spells. If a society has developed with a temple just down the street that can raise people from the dead or heal wounds for just a little bit of money, how would that effect the growth of the society in question? How would the verifiable existence of souls that grant abilities change how people see things and how they do things, not just on an individual level but throughout the entire world?

Can you consider how different our own world would be if our own middle ages had priests who prayed to god...and through that were capable of curing diseases or resurrecting people? The whole course of our history would be radically altered.

I think it would be cool for the developers to sit down and consider things like that when they introduce spells or powers or aspects of the world, to look at their potential effects realistically and from an adult perspective, and then to try and play it out accordingly.

Such a thing might almost play out like a fantasy version of what Watchmen did to superhero tropes, which would be slightly surreal, but also potentially really cool.

I think it would be cool for the developers to sit down and consider things like that when they introduce spells or powers or aspects of the world, to look at their potential effects realistically and from an adult perspective, and then to try and play it out accordingly.

Such a thing might almost play out like a fantasy version of what Watchmen did to superhero tropes, which would be slightly surreal, but also potentially really cool.

You're basically describing Arcanum. :)

And yes, I agree 100%.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

You're basically describing Arcanum. :)

And yes, I agree 100%.

Arcanum would be one of the better examples of what I'm talking about. It wasn't just 'Hey, look, everybody! Steam engines and trains and guns to go with your elves, dwarves and wizards!', it was 'Hey, everybody! The Victorian period was filled with class bigotry, social darwinism, racism, misogyny, smog-churning factories and backwards mentalities and ideas of all sorts! And so is our game! Have fun!'