What are you playing now

LadyCrimson

I've been playing Icewind Dale II (for the first time) for some days and everything was fine, the game was running flawless, very smoothly, and i was loving it, until i upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 8. Now my game runs like a crap, it's lagging so much that i can't play it, even the mouse cursor is lagging.

I tryed some fixes that worked for some people (but on Windows 7) but nothing worked here on Windows 8. Disable the DirectDraw acceleration, that worked with Windows 7, not worked with Windows 8.

The funny thing about this is, as i can't play IWD2 anymore, i installed IWD1 on Windows 8 and i'm playing it again. The game is running flawless, perfectly, very very very smoothly.

So, i can't understand this, IWD1 runs flawless while IWD2 runs like a crap, and both games use the same damn engine.

Morrowind is turning into my little pet project, I've got it into my head that I should create my perfect build and keep it archived so next time I can just play the game instead of obsessively hunting bugs, texture seams and glitched geometry.

I can see how full time modders get lost in this stuff, it's a job that never ends :)

Funny moment in Civ 4. Took over a Japanese city, then there was a meltdown in Fukushima. Pretty impressive empire with Rome, Rule the Americas and north Africa and all of Europe.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Scooped up the

today. Looks like a fun take on the Zombie DLC that every single game put out. More importantly, it features Not Ping, my favorite of the girlfriends in the game. Sleeping Dogs is quickly becoming my GotY for 2012, I just can't get enough of the game and can never wipe the goofy smile off my face while playing it. Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hmm, the only difference being you installed IWD1 after installing Win 8 but IWD2 was already installed prior to upgrading to Win 8? Probably very unlikely to help but maybe uninstall / reinstall IWD2 now that Win 8 is installed?

Yes, i already tried this and it not worked.

Creed of the Assassins. Kind of annoying because they don't really seem to frame the story THAT well.

Which one? I liked the framing in 1, 2, and Brotherhood. Revelations was just terrible. I'm not familiar with how 3 works out, just how it ends.

It's 3 It's literally you're Desmond and you're going to a vault, then something happens and you're just IN a new character, and not the one that has been hyped as the new assassin. So it feels like you're being tossed into the middle of an ongoing story without being able to read the first 2/3rds (not the Desmond stuff... the Memories stuff)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Hmm, the only difference being you installed IWD1 after installing Win 8 but IWD2 was already installed prior to upgrading to Win 8? Probably very unlikely to help but maybe uninstall / reinstall IWD2 now that Win 8 is installed?

OpenGL maybe? IIRC IWD2 used it for some acceleration and the original did not. If so it may end up getting fixed by a driver update, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Creed of the Assassins. Kind of annoying because they don't really seem to frame the story THAT well.

Which one? I liked the framing in 1, 2, and Brotherhood. Revelations was just terrible. I'm not familiar with how 3 works out, just how it ends.

It's 3 It's literally you're Desmond and you're going to a vault, then something happens and you're just IN a new character, and not the one that has been hyped as the new assassin. So it feels like you're being tossed into the middle of an ongoing story without being able to read the first 2/3rds (not the Desmond stuff... the Memories stuff)

So how bad is the flag-waving in this one?

Normally I'd want to see the series to it's (temporary) conclusion but the setting and promotional material has me concerned.

Alternating between a BG2 and PST play through. I decided to scrap my Bard (Jester) play through in BG2, and instead focus on finishing my Paladin play through. PST, I'm right at the beginning, having just exited the mortuary.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Having a bit of a film noire urge, thought Dead Money might fit in with the oeuvre, as i'm playing all I can think is that i'd love to see Obsidian do a film noire game.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So how bad is the flag-waving in this one?

Normally I'd want to see the series to it's (temporary) conclusion but the setting and promotional material has me concerned.

The parts I've played have been fairly neutral about that. Of course, we're still at the the stage before the revolution begins in my game.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I will pause a bit at FE. I have sufficient freeze/reboot sequences at the moment and will wait for a patch to correct the memory issues.

Surprised to hear that, haven't had anything like that. The only issue I've had so far was where my ruler decided to keep removing his armor, which led to him going into battle several times in nothing but his underwear and a cloak. Closing the game and loading up resolved this issue.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the steam of stardock version?

I bought it on gamersgate. So this is the steam version. I will get back to it, I may just have been unlucky and will reinstall it when KB is over.

My IWD2 game has lost momentum after reaching Kuldahar. Not looking forward to Dragons Eye again, so I might just call it quits for now. Splitting my time between DA2 and XCOM instead (the latter taking IWD2's "slot" in my schedule instead). Played through the first number of missions and lost a sergeant, a veteran of 8 missions to an obscenely sneaky group of floaters all jumping and gunning him at once on a terror mission. I still have no feel for how the game balance work, juggling panic levels, income, expenses, base power supply etc. Probably one of those games that gets better with replays and familiarity :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I caved and purchased Assassin's Creed 3.

I was upset about Revelations and their desire to drag it out forever, but I've decided I trust them enough to make a good story out of Conner and maybe finish Desmond without butchering a decent plot too badly.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My IWD2 game has lost momentum after reaching Kuldahar. Not looking forward to Dragons Eye again, so I might just call it quits for now. Splitting my time between DA2 and XCOM instead (the latter taking IWD2's "slot" in my schedule instead). Played through the first number of missions and lost a sergeant, a veteran of 8 missions to an obscenely sneaky group of floaters all jumping and gunning him at once on a terror mission. I still have no feel for how the game balance work, juggling panic levels, income, expenses, base power supply etc. Probably one of those games that gets better with replays and familiarity :)

The more satellites you have operational, the greater your monthly income. They also reduce panic levels, which is nice.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The more satellites you have operational, the greater your monthly income. They also reduce panic levels, which is nice.

I built a new power plant after discovering that power was a limiting factor, and I wish I had the resources for a satellite nexus thing, but for now I think I just have to settle for a simple two satellite hub. Damn network congestion :)

Trying to plan a bit ahead too, so my facilities ends up next to each other for the added efficiency.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They also prevent abduction missions in the territories that you have covered.

OpenGL maybe? IIRC IWD2 used it for some acceleration and the original did not. If so it may end up getting fixed by a driver update, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's the contrary, IWD1 uses OpenGL for some acceleration and IWD2 don't use it.

I built a new power plant after discovering that power was a limiting factor, and I wish I had the resources for a satellite nexus thing, but for now I think I just have to settle for a simple two satellite hub. Damn network congestion :)

Trying to plan a bit ahead too, so my facilities ends up next to each other for the added efficiency.

There's not shame in restarting if you **** up too much. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

It's almost standard practice to build a 2x2 square consisting of two hubs and two nexuses (nexii?): you probably want the second hub regardless of whether you have access to a nexus because the starter hub + 2 nexus won't be enough while a hub + 3 nexus is overkill and therefore inefficient resourcewise.

Probably my biggest complaint about the strategic layer of the game is how engineering oriented stuff works out much more powerful than research: more engineers are always the option to take over more scientists, more workshops are better than more labs, etc. It's mainly because of how comparatively shallow the tech "tree" is and how your science division is idle once you've exhausted the research options (or need to unlock more through non-sciency actions).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I hope Assassin's creed 3 at least fixes the potato faces from Revelations.

Nope.

I think they just didn't want to pay the model for his likeness any more. Like why they got rid of Kirsten Bell.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

They also prevent abduction missions in the territories that you have covered.

I didn't know that. Damn, I like those abduction missions sometimes. They can be a good way to get promotions for your low level soldiers.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.