What are you playing now

LadyCrimson

I find the inclusion of Kai Leng and Allers to be confusing too. I believe Kai Leng is more prevalent in the books, but I don't think a key antagonist should be brought in without more development. I actually have less issue with things like plot armor (although it is a bit silly and I can understand those that don't like it), but it really just seemed like Kai Leng wanted to be all badass and was jealous that Shepard was more badass. I can only assume Allers was some sort of popculture inclusion to have Chobot in because I didn't find her character particularly necessary either.

• Like 2

I didn't like the intro of ME3 (too cheesy, me definitely being wrong target group there), but after a good middle part it really was K** l*** and the completely artificial "aftermath" of Thessia that made go hmmm... so much for me liking the game. The contrived attempt at making me feeling guilty for being cheated by the game designers pulling a deus ex machina, just didn't work any better than the attempt at making me care for the peasant girl I got stuck with in the NWN2 OC. It did sour the experience to a degree that the ending didn't really matter (although the incessant grind defending the missile battery got on my nerves too). I hope the analysts/feedback reviewers at Bioware/EA some day conclude that Tutchanka, Rannoch etc. were the "good" parts and what should be reinforced in the future. Combat was surprisingly inoffensive (for somebody who normally doesn't like action in my crpgs) and at times even fun, although I still hate boss fights, but that's something I hate in all games. The game scored extra influence points with Gorth for finally having done away with the lockpick/hacking/etc. mini game. Oh, and I'm currently redownloading and re-installing the game after reinstalling Windows on my PC (because the good parts in the middle were really, really good). Not sure if I ever put all my thoughts on the game in a single post before ;)

On a related note, anybody noticed if DA2 ever goes on any kind of sale? One of my friends keeps telling me that Mark of the Assassin is fun, but I would hate to have to buy the base game at full price just to buy an expansion to play. Maybe they'll release it as some big bundle set like DA:O some day.

Now if I could just get rid of mini-games in Alpha Protocol too, I might actually make it out of the starting area. I just can't motivate myself to try it again. Jeebus I hate them.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Now if I could just get rid of mini-games in Alpha Protocol too, I might actually make it out of the starting area. I just can't motivate myself to try it again. Jeebus I hate them.

Once you're through the training section, and if you choose the right combination of abilities and perks -or whatever they're called, it's been awhile since I've played the game-, you can effectively bypass them for the rest of the game - either by actually bypassing them or by making them so easy that they're no longer annoying... Well, as annoying.

• Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I didn't like the intro of ME3 (too cheesy, me definitely being wrong target group there), but after a good middle part it really was K** l*** and the completely artificial "aftermath" of Thessia that made go hmmm

I don't like the aftermath to Thessia either. "OH no THessia." was forced. So the **** what Shepard? A lot of other planets got screwed in the game, noticeably Shepard doesn't bat an eyelash on killing the whole Quarian race and letting Tali die, but she's super emotional over a planet of alien babes she's never met. She doesn't have a personal connection to it.

The reaction from liara was fine and her argument with Javik was pretty cool, but my renegade shepard forced to give a **** over Thessia wasn't very good story telling.

What the hell was Hudson and Walters smoking?

Tuchanka was the highlight of the game.

Edited by NKKKK
  • Like 1

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I liked most of the Tuchunka quest, and most of the Quarian/Geth quest. The rest seemed a bit rushed.

I also didn't like the fact that there were no "hubs" on the various worlds you go to. I know the whole "time is running out" was the theme, but I thought it was a bit disappointing we finally get to go to the Turian and Asari worlds, and the only quests on those worlds of note are tied to one mission (the main story quest).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I agree that Tuchanka and Rannoch are the highlights (this leads to the ending seeming even worse IMO, juxtaposed next to those). To answer Gorth's question, I'd agree that any sort of feedback has these two parts being the most highly revered. I believe they have been complimented in public forums like PAX and whatnot as well (just a guess based on things I hear. Unfortunately I have never been to one of the big shows. Sadly I can't go to Edmonton's ComicCon either :( ).

A lot of other planets got screwed in the game, noticeably Shepard doesn't bat an eyelash on killing the whole Quarian race and letting Tali die, but she's super emotional over a planet of alien babes she's never met. She doesn't have a personal connection to it.

Hmmmmm. I never got the impression that Shepard's disappiontment is due to Thessia being attacked, but rather that Kai Leng was able to take Shepard's only real lead for stopping the Reapers in general. So it wasn't so much "Thessia is doomed" but rather "The galaxy is doomed." Unless I'm not remembering it at all (I haven't played it since release).

• Like 1

Somewhat unrelated, I didn't know I could actually "redeem" my old key for the disk version of DA:O on Origin. I had just installed the game and it asked for CD1 when I went "screw this" and tried it (since I was waiting for ME3 to download anyway on the Origin client). It actually worked :blink:

Anyway, bought the DA:O Ultimate thingy on Gamersgate to get some of the DLC's and expansions (now downloading too).

That's the downside to reinstalling Windows. A load of stuff that needs reinstalling. Next up is MS Flight Simulator (Gold Edition).

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Somewhat unrelated, I didn't know I could actually "redeem" my old key for the disk version of DA:O on Origin. I had just installed the game and it asked for CD1 when I went "screw this" and tried it (since I was waiting for ME3 to download anyway on the Origin client). It actually worked

Steam does similar stuff with Valve (and some select) 3rd party games as well. I consider it a good feature TBH.

As for what I'm playing: I'm all over the map. Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai campaign right now (went independent).

I liked most of the Tuchunka quest, and most of the Quarian/Geth quest. The rest seemed a bit rushed.

This. Plus, I think that the gameplay has gotten worse in the last game. I know, it's a better shooter. That's exactly the point why I don't like it that much. It's frantic and caothic and do not feel like an RPG that much. ME2's combat was a better compromise imho.

I finished off ME3 last night, first time I'd actually played through it with the "revised ending" and the leviathan dlc. As I mentioned, Leviathan really helps flesh out some aspects and really makes me wonder why they didn't include some mention of it in the "full game".

Also, I really, really loathe that defend the missile battery point on Earth. 5 Banshee's, that all seem to hit the "automatic kill sequence" if you get within a few foot of them, nearly a dozen Marauders taking potshots at you, and that Reaper Destroyer laser that insta-kills you waving back and forth constantly. There's so much rubble you can't even move around that easily, if you try sprinting you end up taking cover where you don't want to, or jumping over cover you meant to hide behind... Killing the enemies doesn't actually achieve anything because its you waiting for a timer to run down and the moment you do kill any, more show up..

That and for the really important aspect of the mission, no-one beyond you and two squad mates can actually get there to defend it... >_<

On a random aspect though, has anyone played through it with a really high "Galaxy of War" rating? And beyong the potential "Shepard alive" 3 second vid, does it change anything? I mean, do you get more of Hammer's forces arriving alive, does it effect that end push in any way whatsoever?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Passing the time waiting for that remake of a classic Microprose game with another, sort of classic, Microprose game. Sid Meier's Covert Action - a game I didn't really get first time around: way too young to make sense of it.

Sid reportedly doesn't like the finished product all that much, and I can see where's he's coming from - the minigames (for that's all this game is, a collection of minigames) is a little disjointed and doesn't really mesh together all that well. The overarching concept is great fun though, sort of like an advanced "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?"

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Grand Theft Auto 4 is driving me insane. It's been a long time since I played a game that I liked this much and also pissed me off so much. The problem lies with GTA's horrific combat mechanics. This wasn't as evident in earlier GTA games simply because on foot combat was a smaller part of the game. Each successive GTA game has put more and more of the focus on on foot combat with more and more and lengthier and lengthier firefights. They're crime games, so it's understandable, and it would be fine if the combat mechanics weren't so ****ing awful. It kills me too because the cutscenes and story are great, full of twists, betrayal, tragedy, colorful over the top characters, and dark humor. Pretty much everything else in the game is a blast too. While the driving mechanics aren't the greatest, you get used to them and they still make for a great time driving like a mad man through the city. Hanging out with your buddies or dating girlfriends is cool, even if some of the mini-games are a bit meh. Pushing old ladies down staircases, going on a rampage to build up a 4 or 5 star wanted level then leading the cops on a frantic chase through the city, even just listening to people talk on the street are all really fun. Unfortunately you have to wade through horrendously frustrating firefights to get to enjoy all those other fun parts of the game. I'm at a point now where I'm assuming I'm really close to the end and the majority of missions include extended firefights. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks "let's just get this crap over with" every time I have to go through a mission that involves a firefight.

/bangs head against wall

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah GTA IV had the best story by far, but the missions, especially the latter ones are just plain boring.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I'm on Chapter 3 of Neverwinter Nights 2.

Tried out Facade yesterday. The parser isn't nearly as good as I heard. Trip kept thinking I was blaming him when I said that "nobody is to blame." And I couldn't even pour myself a drink. :(

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Borderlands 2 - hubs and I played co-op last night. PT2 can be pretty rough when you find hardly any gear upgrades. ;)

Did anyone else run into an odd design aspect of Rescue Roland where the final 'showdown' ends up in The Dust? The first time we did it, it was in that one initial area. When I did it solo, same thing. Hubs solo Siren, however, ended up in The Dust, and our PT2 of it last night ended up in Dust as well. This battle in Dust can be significantly harder, imo, than the first option.

Timer based? Take too long (over 5 minutes maybe?) and the game takes it another step? Or just completely random?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah GTA IV had the best story by far, but the missions, especially the latter ones are just plain boring.

GTA IV had a good story but Red Dead Redemption was alot better in my opinion. But each to his own I guess.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Finished up Mask of the Betrayer. I love, love, love that campaign, great stuff.

Also, got an ending that I'd not seen before, where One-of-Many kills Safiya. Pretty chilling stuff actually.

I'm playing it right now for the first time! :banghead:

Edited by Labadal

I'm playing install all your old games and see if it will fit on my current hard drive configuration. I might have made my Steam drive too small.

Edit to add: Well, what worked once worked twice. Added my old Mass Effect 2 key to my Origin account got it as digital download instead of those creaky old disks. I might just try buying Lair of the Shadowbroker some day. Anything else that is worth getting for ME2?

I miss the days where you could just xcopy the whole directory over from drive to drive without having to worry about registry entries. It's the rare game that allows that now, although I note that WoW is one of them: only installed it once in 7 years.

For the Steam drive size thing, you could get around it using symlinks (or one of the utilities that manages them) - my Steam games are split about 50:50 between my spindle drive and my SSD, though it's obviously a pretty tiny library to be able to do that.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm starting up Mask of the Betrayer, too. Just finished the original campaign. The improvement in area art and presentation hits you pretty quickly.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm playing install all your old games and see if it will fit on my current hard drive configuration. I might have made my Steam drive too small.

Edit to add: Well, what worked once worked twice. Added my old Mass Effect 2 key to my Origin account got it as digital download instead of those creaky old disks. I might just try buying Lair of the Shadowbroker some day. Anything else that is worth getting for ME2?

You should learn how to manage Japan's economy.... I'm even willing to do the "Japan gets bonus resources" Campaign! :-"