Classes and Races with Regard to Stats and Multiclass Penalty Implementation

Stats, Classes and Multiclasses  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What Range do you think stats (Intelligence, Strength, Constitution, etc.) should fall into?

• 1 - 5
    • 1 - 10
    • 1 - 20
    • No limit (apart from what is possible through a level cap, etc.)
    • I don't think it matters
  2. 2. If you think stats should be limitted, do you think races or classes should be able so exceed the normal limits of a stat?

• Yes, for classes for a single stat (the Fighter may get the option to have strength up to 15 whereas other classes have the 1-10 range)
    • Yes, for classes for multiple stats and all with the same upper limit (dexterity and strength can both reach 15 for a fighter in a 1-10 system)
    • Yes, for classes for multiple stats but in a tiered fashion (in a normal 1-10 limit, Fighter can 15 strength but 12 constitution and dexterity)
    • Yes, for races for a single stat
    • Yes, for races for multiple stats and all with the same upper limit
    • Yes, for races for multiple stats in a tiered fashion
    • Yes, for classes and races in one stat a piece with cumulative benefit (a fighter gets +5 to the maximum limit and so does a dwarf, for +10 total)
    • Yes, for classes and races for multiple stats, all with the same upper limit and in a cumulative fashion
    • Yes, for classes and races in a tiered and cumulative fashion
    • No, there should be a level playing field
  3. 3. How do you think the penalties for multiclassing should be implemented?

• An experience penalty, like Icewind Dale 2
    • Penalties to overall effectiveness in both classes (a multiclass character will not be able to have the full benefits of pure class character)
    • Flaws and weaknesses everytime a new class is taken, but full access to the benefits of both classes
    • Both flaws and limitted access of full benefits
    • Other, please specify
    • I don't think there should be multiclassing

Another skewed poll that is missing viable responses. What about abilities in the 1-100 range?

That is Elders Scrolls system. ;)

If u follow BG, IW, ToEE, u`ll now it is 1-20 or 1-18...

So what we want? ;)

An Elder Scrolls-style system is a terrible idea (and there is no way Obsidian would go with such a thing, they did their best to at least tone down Bethesda's ruined version of SPECIAL in New Vegas.) It has always functioned terribly because it is infinitely exploitable even without trying. Bethesda's game designers seem to think it makes sense for an elderly hermit who spent his entire life studying a particular school of magic to suddenly become a ripped Adonis, marathon champ and master swordsman on a whim of the twilight of his life. 5 minutes of making iron daggers makes you the most legendary of legendary smiths in Skyrim. If you asked a Beth designer to get on the see-saw with you he'd bring 6 of his friends and they'd all just sit there on their side grinning stupidly at you and asking for their GOTY awards.

Edited by AGX-17

My opinion is that there should be no hard caps on stats.

Yes because in Arcanum it worked so well and added depth.

Did I miss something where Arcanum was the only game lacking a hard cap?
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."