Does anyone know the frame rate capabilities of the Unity Engine?

I wouldn't mind being able to run this game at 120FPS+

Although these days despite technology not really getting any better, the frame rates of games are getting worse due to crappy engines, sloppy coding / design :x

Edited by Sensuki

What? I don't remember the IE games ever having anything like that. Aren't frame rates necessary for things like, I dunno, 3D animations and big cinematics and whatever?

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Smoothness

IE games ran at locked framerates due to the use of sprites (same as Diablo 2)

120Hz monitor and a CRT that does 120Hz as well

Used to it from FPS games I guess, you need at least 125FPS in cod4 (250 optimal) at competitive level.

My Titan Quest runs at mostly over 120FPS but when it sometimes drops below 100 there's a noticeable visual slowdown even on a lesser refresh rate.

Most games are designed these days with 60fps in mind (mostly due to consoles), a true PC game should be able to go over this ;)

edit:

Nah I don't like Steam, rarely buy anything on there. I'll be getting the GOG version of this. Don't have much time to play games at the moment due to uni work

Edited by Sensuki

I'm talking about hybrid games not console only games. The console version of the game will be designed for 30FPS but the PC version will most likely be designed for 60.

Edited by Sensuki

Used to it from FPS games I guess, you need at least 125FPS in cod4 (250 optimal) at competitive level.

My Titan Quest runs at mostly over 120FPS but when it sometimes drops below 100 there's a noticeable visual slowdown even on a lesser refresh rate.

Whoa, I see you are a super human... or maybe a fly?

Edited by dlux

:closed:

Smoothness

IE games ran at locked framerates due to the use of sprites (same as Diablo 2)

120Hz monitor and a CRT that does 120Hz as well

I highly doubt it's even humanly possible to detect a difference unless there's some very fast motion on-screen. In fact most of the time unless there's sufficiently fast motion you'd just be drawing the same thing again, so there really is no difference, detectable or otherwise. Try playing BG2 in GemRB some time, it can get to hundreds of FPS, but you'd never notice because for most of those frames there's literally not a single pixel on screen that's changed :p. With a game like this I'd be surprised if you could even notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps most of the time.

I'm not saying that there is no difference in general, or that you're making it up when you say you can notice it (I have on very rare occasions wished I could play WoW at 120fps myself), just that in this circumstance I'm highly skeptical that it would make any difference.

Also if there are pre-made animations (not sure if that's something we'll be seeing) it wouldn't make much sense to render them at a frame rate that can only be displayed on a monitor that costs more than most people would spend on an entire computer.

so much graphic phobia here

No.

It's just weird to ask for super high frame rates for a game that's basically an upgrade of ToEEE's graphic system. I only think of FPS for MMO play and any of the other 3D zooming fully mobile camera games with lots of talking heads and cinematics.

I mean, Project Eternity is neither a First Person Shooter nor "action" CRPG.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

What? I don't remember the IE games ever having anything like that. Aren't frame rates necessary for things like, I dunno, 3D animations and big cinematics and whatever?

I think 48 fps is what they are using for high frame rate 3D movies. Hopefully 60 will be more than good enough.

Speaking of 3D, that computer display technology may be more prevalent in 2014, when this game is set to be released.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."