RockPaperShotgun Interview with Avellone + New Companion Concept Aloth

I want to paint my fists with petrol, light them and punch zombies. That would be cool.

Laugh if you wish, but that was a real gripe of mine in the NWN series. The game let you coat your weapons with alchemist fire for additional temporary fire damge, but monks got screwed because they couldn't coat their fists.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

That would have required too much voice over, probably.

Yup. And it will be possible with PE because they aren't voicing everything over.

Actually, I think the example is cleverly done since the changes are in just non-voiced PC lines. Also, the dialogues offer info without penalizing the player. For extremely low INT character, I think the players can reasonably expect such dialogues, too.

Charisma as a straight stat I'm not so sure on, I mean what is charisma? The ability to get friendly with someone? Surely a wise character would be able to work out what to say to appease someone too? I mean, isn't charisma more of a combination of other stats and qualities in a way? I'd prefer charisma to either be a leadership stat that influences the other stats to some degree in dialogue, providing a bonus where it applies to the another stat that is used, or a skill you can develop called Charm along with others like Manipulation.

I think charisma should basically be treated like social intelligence. One's ability to sound convincing regardless of if one is right or not. Charm.

• Like 1

Something stirs within...

Am I the only one thinking that Intelligence should only be possible to increase or decrease in the character creation screen? After that it should be Knowledge/Lore/Cunning/Math :aiee: or whatever that adds extra bonuses to INT checks.

I don't think that many of us want to have WoW or DAO-style systems where your stats increase tenfold (or more) over the course of the game, at least.

I'm all for something similar to Fallout's SPECIAL, personally.

Edited by JediMB

Am I the only one thinking that Intelligence should only be possible to increase or decrease in the character creation screen? After that it should be Knowledge/Lore/Cunning/Math :aiee: or whatever that adds extra bonuses to INT checks.

I disagree. People can learn to think more intelligently by learning and practicing proper logic and problem solving techniques. A lot of people are labeled as unintelligent simply because they have never learned proper learning or thinking strategies. Obviously some of it is purely genetic too, but effective intelligence can be improved by practice in most people.

Edited by ogrezilla

Other stats being available for increase(not DA inflation like) on level ups is logical. You can train to become stronger, or gain wisdom. You can "better" your charisma personality as well, but I just don't see how someone's intelligence goes up through natural means. It's appliance through knowledge and experience though could increase one's sharpness. Perhaps also have a few/one instance to increase it permanently(not by too much) through magic or magic implants?

I disagree. People can learn to think more intelligently by learning and practicing proper logic and problem solving techniques. A lot of people are labeled as unintelligent simply because they have never learned proper learning or thinking strategies.

You're pretty much saying the same thing. :mellow:

Edited by kenup

Other stats being available for increase(not DA inflation like) on level ups is logical. You can train to become stronger, or gain wisdom. You can "better" your charisma personality as well, but I just don't see how someone's intelligence goes up through natural means. It's appliance through knowledge and experience though could increase one's sharpness. Perhaps also have a few/one instance to increase it permanently(not by too much) through magic or magic implants?

I disagree. People can learn to think more intelligently by learning and practicing proper logic and problem solving techniques. A lot of people are labeled as unintelligent simply because they have never learned proper learning or thinking strategies.

You're pretty much saying the same thing. :mellow:

huh? I'm saying intelligence can improve similar to how strength can improve. I think he said intelligence is basically locked at birth and you simply come to know more things through life. Maybe not some theoretical maximum intelligence. But the effective intelligence of a person can absolutely increase through use of the brain in the same way strength can increase through use of muscles.

Edited by ogrezilla

Effective intelligence is what I'm talking about using. Knowledge, reading, whatever, should give bonuses to intelligence checks. Not direct increase of a pc's or companions intelligence(which I take as the IQ) stat.

Edited by kenup

IQ can possibly only be increased through childhood from what I know. In fact after that it can possibly decrease. Effective intelligence is what I'm talking about using. Knowledge, reading, whatever, should give bonuses to intelligence checks. Not direct increase of a pc's or companions intelligence(which I take as the IQ) stat.

IQ can change at any time in life. Either up or down. It is a measure of effective intelligence because you have to know how to take a test to do well on it.

Edited by ogrezilla

:facepalm: IQ has to do with grey matter and other things in the brain. The tests have nothing to do with knowledge, other than very basic math and language skills to understand the question, you just choose from multiple choice answers.

And this is of topic btw :alien:

Charisma as a straight stat I'm not so sure on, I mean what is charisma? The ability to get friendly with someone? Surely a wise character would be able to work out what to say to appease someone too? I mean, isn't charisma more of a combination of other stats and qualities in a way? I'd prefer charisma to either be a leadership stat that influences the other stats to some degree in dialogue, providing a bonus where it applies to the another stat that is used, or a skill you can develop called Charm along with others like Manipulation.

I think charisma should basically be treated like social intelligence. One's ability to sound convincing regardless of if one is right or not. Charm.

Must refrain from making obvious joke about almost every modern politician.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

The face looks feminine but the body shape looks masculine (no hips), and the hair could be either

That's why we need boob-plate. (just kidding...or am I ?)

Muscular arm, masculine jawline. I'm strongly guessing it's a he...

AckbarStanding.jpg

It's a TRAP!

BTW, for those saying the wiz is holding a fish... :lol:

It's a scroll dummies :p

pe5.jpg

Edited by hideo kuze

Interesting interview, just a couple of things

The type of races and concept art that’s been revealed for Eternity we hope display our commitment to showcasing seemingly-traditional races with unusual gear and traits – including the fact our women characters wear… appropriate armor.

Sorry, not going to say you caved to pressure to make some PC in the game...but....yea, you caved to PC pressure. I just hope this isn't a sign that they are going to avoid controversal topics and make the game PC. That would suck, really, really suck.

Just a point, if you show pictures of characters and it takes more than a few seconds to tell if its male or famale, you are doing it wrong.

This is intersting when you consider what was said here indierpg's

it was important to me that both Annah and Fall-From-Grace be extremely good-looking in their own way even if the player character wasn’t. Sue me. icon_smile.gif

And there is nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with making women/men attractive and showing it off. However, its pointless having females in armour if all the armoured characters look the same are unisex and ugly.

Ok, got that off my chest.

again, on indirpg

Old target audience: Male gamers.

Metagame requirement: In-game titillation without immersion arguments. (Grace's outfit actually made sense, but Annah in combat in that outfit made no sense, hence why she never joined my party--her purpose was obviously metagame.)

Current target audience: All intelligent gamers. Including, unbelievably, more women. Which I think is a great thing.

Metagame requirement: In-game immersion arguments for attire and to not tell women gamers that their sex representation in-game only has a "point" if they look sexy and pretty.

Comment:

If women can find men in setting-appropriate uniform and armour attractive, why can't men find appropriately-attired women attractive?

Your attitude reeks of male-gamers-only entitlement. (Also, I had no problems identifying Aloth--I think people claiming they did were just trolling, seriously.)

Are you OUT OF YOUR MIND?!?! What is the number one game everybody brings up? PST! What is the number one game everybody has been requesting/referincing what the game to be like? PST! What is the number one game that has a unique setting and doesn't feel like a rehash of ideas? PST!!!!! You really think PST successor would not get as good as PE? I would say it would probably get even more. If I had to choose between PE and PST spiritual successor, it is a no brainer, I would have gone PSTSS in a heartbeat. I do think PE will be a great game, but I am saddened that it sacrificed a PSTSS to do it.

I have to admit, I've never seen such a centralized influx of PS:T supporters before (my poll was a big surprise). I'm still banking on PE proper, though, because I'm not sure a sequel is a good idea, and at least big Torment names are already behind this project....

There's been talk of stats affecting interactions. I propose something like this:

High STR: You overpower NPCs with your body odor since you exercise so much. They either shoo you off before dialogue can happen or are very quick about talking to you to make you leave.

High DEX: You're so nimble that your form is a bit hazy and if the stealthy type, you blend too readily into the shadows so NPCs have a hard time figuring out what to talk to.

High INT: You overthink everything NPCs say, creating branching circular and cascading dialogue trees that invert on themselves until the NPCs give in and beg for mercy--or attack you.

High WIS: You bore NPCs with stories tangentially related to the topic in order to frame a morally relevant point, creating branching spreading dialogue trees that lead to awkward NPC moments until they shut you up by just telling you everything you need to know and disappearing forever, or they attack you.

High CHA: You are surrounded by such a bright aura and sparkles that you dazzle NPCs, who are blinded and dazed into submission but give little useful information due to being incapacitated.

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Must refrain from making obvious joke about almost every modern politician.

Gosh, no. Go ahead.

Current target audience: All intelligent gamers. Including, unbelievably, more women. Which I think is a great thing.

BZZZZZ wrong, this is exactly where you do NOT want to go. Trying to please everybody is a recipe for dissaster. This is what CURRENT companies try to do and it is why so many games are generic and horrible. This is why many games that had a clear demographic were excellent and had a cult following, but then when sequels tried to pander to other groups and changing the formula, it became off putting to the 'CORE' base who ended up leaving because the new games resembled nothing that they loved about the old games.

This is why many of us are pouring money into PE and other RPG, we want to move away from trying to bring in everyone and trying not to offend anyone. The majority of people will most likely be (strait) male players who played the original games. Women are playing more games, but lets not pretend its by a huge margin. The few times that companies have done serveys on hardcore games have shown women to be a small minority again and again. It wasn't till ESA released the very misleading numbers that said women make up 45% gamers that feminest started screaming that they games need to cater to them...blah, blah, blah. Ok, step back, look at those numbers, that includes EVERYTHING that has a game attached to it. Facebook games, phone games, xbox arcade...etc. If you strip out all the casual games, then I bet the numbers have not really changed and women are still a minority to hardcore games. Now, RPG's are already a nitch market, finding women who play RPG's in general are a nitch of a nitch by its very nature. There are women who play, they are on this board, I have know many, but its still not that many compared to male gamers.

Now, saying we need to cater to a small group for just the potential of bringing in more is just fantasy. The vast majority of women are just not interested in this type of game, nor is catering to them going to see any change (who knows in a few generations, but not THIS one, nor any time soon). There is not going to be an influx of women suddenly buying RPG's, It is just not going to happen. Does it mean we ignore them all together and all other minority groups? Of course not, but it does mean to not compromise for your CORE majority of fans to satisfy a very small minority. Have some stuff that will give a nod here and there as long as it isn't blantant soap box PC propaganda, or takes away things that the core audiance might like.

Metagame requirement: In-game immersion arguments for attire and to not tell women gamers that their sex representation in-game only has a "point" if they look sexy and pretty.

So we go the oposite direction and tell them they cannot show skin, look/act/feminine, and have to pretty much be just a dude...gotcha.

Comment:

If women can find men in setting-appropriate uniform and armour attractive, why can't men find appropriately-attired women attractive?

Because you are pushing for PC utopian ideology, where as people are run by biology. People like what they like because their nature tells them so. How many parents/religious groups tried to 'convince' gays they are just confused and that they should find the oposite sex attractive? See, it doesn't work, its biology. People like what they like, because that is how people are wired.

Your attitude reeks of male-gamers-only entitlement. (Also, I had no problems identifying Aloth--I think people claiming they did were just trolling, seriously.)

And yours reeks of white knight syndrome. Aloth is more obvious, but the knight in your signature after the alteration? I will say the boobarmour was a little over the top, BUT, the new armour just sucks away the female identity. Looks like a womans head on a males body, or a guy in drag. Like I said, when we are looking at the sprites, they will now be unisex which is boring. Part of that is just the armour design. Since they went with a new world, they should have gone a little more exotic (moving away from pure midevel/europeon armour) with the armour design, then they could have created a more unique look for male and female. One where women would still be practical, but have a feminine touch. There is nothing wrong with it being practical and attractive.

The interview which the OP introduced is not related with sexuality at all. If you are interested in such topic, then, make another thread.

Now, as for possible interference between stats-based dialogues and story-development dialogues

Hypothetically speaking, if the designers blindly followed D&D style, the possible problems are:

1. If the system is heavily influenced from D&D, then, the players shouldn't have an option of increasing the initial ability scores at their will. FONV has this option with money and/or a feat.

2. One of the focus is that the characters should work as combat unit in combat (while I do hope they are more than that outside of combat and/or in the setting). In this case, the players try to optimize characters for combat. Mini/Max players may not be interested in role-playing aspect but the physical combat classes tend to naturally end up with more or less low mental scores.

However, as usual, solutions can vary.

There's been talk of stats affecting interactions. I propose something like this:

High STR: You overpower NPCs with your body odor since you exercise so much. They either shoo you off before dialogue can happen or are very quick about talking to you to make you leave.

High DEX: You're so nimble that your form is a bit hazy and if the stealthy type, you blend too readily into the shadows so NPCs have a hard time figuring out what to talk to.

High INT: You overthink everything NPCs say, creating branching circular and cascading dialogue trees that invert on themselves until the NPCs give in and beg for mercy--or attack you.

High WIS: You bore NPCs with stories tangentially related to the topic in order to frame a morally relevant point, creating branching spreading dialogue trees that lead to awkward NPC moments until they shut you up by just telling you everything you need to know and disappearing forever, or they attack you.

High CHA: You are surrounded by such a bright aura and sparkles that you dazzle NPCs, who are blinded and dazed into submission but give little useful information due to being incapacitated.

Well, isn't it hard to prevent it from being absurd here and there? Sawyer once came up with an idea of CHA affecting on combat as leadership (This was eventually realized in FONV). A board member wrote STR could play a similar role, which Sawyer dismissed the idea as absurd. Maybe, rather letting the mental ability scores tie with some skills/feats which can be used in combat can be more promising option. Also, this would naturally discourage the players resorting for easy mini-maxing route while having the possibility of expanding combat choices/multiclass builds. Outside of CHA (with possible leadership skill), feats like combat expertise, which requires INT 13, made the combat more engaging than older DnD models, too. In any case, I think, making each ability score have more or less meaning in every single class can be one of possible solutions.

There is nothing wrong with it being practical and attractive.

Yes there is. Usually armor is not worn to be attractive to the opposite sex.

Not everyone has to wear armour to be practical, nor does every armour has to be a big bulky piece of metal. Take Cadegund's armour as a good medium example.

• Like 1

I would be interested to see a breakdown for male / female gamers.

As for the sexism / chainmail bikini issue (and thanks to the prig who complained about my sig) surely there might be a vain NPC of either gender, blessed with great looks, who might seek to exaggerate them? We all see people who work out and wear clothes to show their guns / legs off, right? So NPC 1 might dress modestly and NPC2 might not.

Again, we are into the foothills of cultural marxism, where the outcome of 'equality' is merely to make all of us equally miserable.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well, you could have ceremonial and decorative armor, but I don't see why they should show skin. Usually they are simply modeled differently and with complex, useless, decorations. Not exactly practical or effective in real combat.

Yes, you could make them more feminine, but why skimpy?

Who said anything about skimpy? And why are decorations useless? They show culture. And large scale conventional battles with swords and spears are not the only instances of combat. Take Annah for example; while her clothing is certainly extreme, she is a thief, she doesn't care about having super protective and clunky plate mail.

• Like 1

By useless I meant in battle. They add weight and depending on what they are, they can restrain movements.

Annah doesn't care about a full plate mail, yes, but I don't see why she had to wear a leathery revealing teddy. Not that I don't like it, but I don't see why.