RockPaperShotgun Interview with Avellone + New Companion Concept Aloth

Have they actually said anywhere at any point that these charecters in the concept art are companions. I keep seeing people posting that on various forums, is it just assumption on their parts?

I haven't thought about it enough to second guess it. What are you thinking, enemy adventuring party? They have names.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Have they actually said anywhere at any point that these charecters in the concept art are companions. I keep seeing people posting that on various forums, is it just assumption on their parts?

It's an assumption due to this picture

e49917855934dcc9a6b2ee4bc18cf8e7_large.jpg

I'm thinking they are just concept art to be honest (and storyline npcs at a push?). The kickstarter isn't over yet so I don't think Chris has even started writing the companions, and I would imagine he would need to create the character before they can be drawn.

Drawing the character and then writing it's backstorys seems a bit backwards.

I want to paint my fists with petrol, light them and punch zombies. That would be cool.

I'd do that, but I'm very hairy, the fire would spread and kill me in seconds. Otherwise, it would have been the first thing I tried during a zombie occupation.

Edited by Labadal

^ Wear a fireproof suit duct-taped at the wrists.

*puts on suit*

*looks at zombie outside the window*

*lights knuckles on fire*

*realizes he forgot the duct-tape, and the suit is not fireproof*

*kamikaze attacks zombie*

I hate to be that guy and it's probably just the sepia-coloring, but i feel like these concept arts epitomize generic fantasy in the negative, unimaginative way. The pictures just feel bland. But like i said, i probably feel like that because of the lack of color. These aren't finished ideas yet anyway as far as i understand what concept art means. It would just be sad if the characters had great depth but lacked personality in appearance.

Edited by Gyges
  • Like 2

I hate to be that guy and it's probably just the sepia-coloring, but i feel like these concept arts epitomize generic fantasy in the negative, unimaginative way. The pictures just feel bland. But like i said, i probably feel like that because of the lack of color. These aren't finished ideas yet anyway as far as i understand what concept art means. It would just be sad if the characters had great depth but lacked personality in appearance.

Agreed. But in a way. Blandness can also be good when combined with a good script, considering you get more focus on the actual person rather than strong visual elements that can easily give off the sense that it's just an entertaining design. I guess we'll see what spin it goes on.

Im a bit with you and its refreshing that not all fans on this site are acting like the disciples from the consumer sect apple. All praise the holy lightening contact coming to deliver us from slow and clumpsy connections. The moment i feel sect vibes im out of here.

• Like 1

Can I keep that last line as a quote forever and ever?

Seriously. Thank you. It's so hard to find people who want unique-looking characters.

I'll admit to being a little disappointed when I found out that Aloth wasn't actually purple; it was just the lighting.

i would even go further to say that the concept art of PE so far plain sucks.

look at these from wasteland 2 then look back at PE pieces:

http://www.sghi.info/GL/img/Post.Nuclear.PC.Games/Wasteland.2_concept.art/Wasteland.2_WL2logo_wallpaper.03.cropped_by_Andree.Wallin.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120414155147/wasteland/images/a/ab/Wasteland2_Scorpitron_concept_art.jpg

https://inxile-wasteland.s3.amazonaws.com/desert-rangers-concept.jpg

• Like 1

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I figured he was a mage in the wallpaper. In both that and this art, he's focused on some magical ability. He really likes posing with his hand glowing.

Who doesn't?

Sawyer! We need to see the monk now!

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

http://www.sghi.info...dree.Wallin.jpg

http://images2.wikia...concept_art.jpg

https://inxile-waste...ers-concept.jpg

Those pics are great. I agree that some of the concept art has been.... nondescript (odd because the artist doing the sepia stuff is awesome if her website is anything to go by). But I genuinely loved the new Update 15 pic. It's kind of vanilla but it really captures the spirit / fun of the genre for me.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Those pics are great. I agree that some of the concept art has been.... nondescript (odd because the artist doing the sepia stuff is awesome if her website is anything to go by). But I genuinely loved the new Update 15 pic. It's kind of vanilla but it really captures the spirit / fun of the genre for me.

ie, PUNCHING ZOMBIES IN THE FACE WITH FLAMING FISTS!!!!!111111one

I agree, though, I thought the 15 pic was a lot of fun, had depth and monsters and stuff. And looked good. And how in the world are they going to get out of that? I think they're headed for a TPK.

Game over, man!! Game over!!!

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

http://www.sghi.info...dree.Wallin.jpg

http://images2.wikia...concept_art.jpg

https://inxile-waste...ers-concept.jpg

I see you have not grasped the concept of concept art. Please feel free to remove your pledge. :yes:

:closed:

I figured that the wallpaper with all the characters in it was the result of one of those 'design an enemy adventuring company' KS tiers. It explains how such a level of detail for characters that (apparently) will be in the game are available so early in the production process.

Nobody has started doing the reward tier designs yet. Aloth and Cadegund showed up back in the announcement video.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, there is something in the update #15:

we wanted to give you a piece of art to show you examples of characters you may encounter (and adventure with) in Project Eternity

I'm waiting for update #16 with full-size Aloth!