RockPaperShotgun Interview with Avellone + New Companion Concept Aloth

Not sure what makes it evil.

Not as a villain, or evil alignment. Just stereotype.

Snake magic, almost always is not something "good" people in fantasy stories will use. There are exceptions, just not that many.

Edited by kenup

And he's holding the back half of a fish in one hand and snakes in the other.

I was thinking it was a spell scroll in his other hand.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I like the magic snakes. Reminds me of that snake head cane in ST:TNG - Time's Arrow.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Avellone: Yes, we want to examine the dialogue mechanics, and one thing we’re going to do is low-intelligence options – either based on Intelligence or a trait – and have the sequences play out differently according to the player’s intellect. As a narrative designer, I enjoy writing interactions like that, and I had a blast with the stupid options in F2 in Vault City and New Reno.

And there was much squeeing.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

The emblem on his armor is a key. I wonder if there's any meaning to that.

Thief faction or just a general "Key? I don't need no key" t-shirt?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thief faction or just a general "Key? I don't need no key" t-shirt?

I was thinking it might be more along the lines of "keeper of secrets." Keys are popular symbols for the hidden or locked away.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't even know if this is worth pointing out, but I wasn't exactly being serious.

I don't actually think he's holding a fish.

I don't even know if this is worth pointing out, but I wasn't exactly being serious.

Why not? Fish might restore mana(or soul points or whatever)! :w00t:

J

Not sure what makes it evil.

Not as a villain, or evil alignment. Just stereotype.

Snake magic, almost always is not something "good" people in fantasy stories will use. There are exceptions, just not that many.

I guess that's true to an extent. Although, is associate it more with gypsies or some other outcast group.

I was wondering if that had any relation to the emblem on Cadegund's chestpiece--something to do with soul channeling or something.

Planescape explored the philosophies and religions of other races, it explored the idea of the mind shaping reality, and it put forth the question of your place in the universe and then gave you mechanics to compliment that. It purposely bucked many archetypes and tried to re-examine them from the opposite direction, and we’ll do the same in Eternity. We want to explore the ideas and perspectives of other cultures, religions, the concept of language and oral tradition in a world where books aren’t commonplace, and the concept of self in a world where souls transfer from being to being. What kind of cultures and religions come into being in a world like that? What does that mean for you and your companions?

Sweeeet.

Edited by Ieo

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

If it was a fish...maybe he was interrupted during dinner. ;)

I was thinking it might be more along the lines of "keeper of secrets." Keys are popular symbols for the hidden or locked away.

That doesn't really fit my personal idea of a Thief. Unless he's a Mage (then keeper of secrets would make sense to me regardless). I'm still not entirely sure, based on images alone.

He's a mage, ain't he? Unless he's a rogue with some powaz. It's cool that we don't know exactly, isn't it?

I figured he was a mage in the wallpaper. In both that and this art, he's focused on some magical ability. He really likes posing with his hand glowing.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I really didn't like the interviewer. He kept assuming that "oldschool" meant less evolved or somehow worse. Frankly, I would argue the opposite.

Same here. I am surprised that Chris even answered some of those questions. It's like the interviewer thinks that old school iz hard and haz too meny numberz for hed. lol

Edited by dlux

:closed:

You have to remember that 90% of the modern gaming 'press' are brain-dead PR whores.

Although RPS is OK and has a dedicated wargaming bloke who is quite good. But, yeah, that "lots of numbers" line made me cringe. You don't have a dig at flight sims because "there's too many dials" do you?

• Like 6

sonsofgygax.JPG

I really didn't like the interviewer. He kept assuming that "oldschool" meant less evolved or somehow worse. Frankly, I would argue the opposite.

Same here. I am surprised that Chris even answered some of those questions. It's like the interviewer thinks that old school iz hard and haz too meny numberz for hed. lol

True. Too many numbers? I love numbers!

I hated Dragon Age: Origin abilities and spells description because there was almost no number at all. Terrible.

Edited by DocDoomII
  • Like 2

True. Too many numbers? I love numbers!

I hated Dragon Age: Origin abilities and spells description because there was almost no number at all. Terrible.

Yup, so true. I even checked the settings if there was an option to turn them on - nope. It was a total WTF situation. ^^

:closed: