Steam wont accept registration code

cmh

Question

Hi guys,

I purchased the game today, and only a single flyer included in the CD box, which had a registration code for the game, and a URL for online registration ( the Square Enix website).

Anyways, the registration code works at the website and says my game is now registered, yay and how nice.

But, steam will not accept the registration code, and says it is invalid.

So I am now a registered member for a game I cannot instal!!

Does anyone please have any ideas how to fix this, or can point me in the right direction for a workaround?

Thanks so much.

PS: I hate steam, it's what comes off a dump left in the snow. It sucks that people who always buy their games have to navigate a process that's like trying to squeeze a nine ponder through the eye of a needle just to play a game thery have purchased. DRM ftw.

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

This has happened to me once before, you just need to contact steam support.

So create a Steam support ticket and they will contact you and resolve it :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I will never ever buy another game that has the Steam logo on the box.  I bought this for my wife.  Worst setup experience ever.  Installer kept crashing.  After some digging, found you have to go find the Steam.exe and execute it as Administrator.  Then the real pain begins.  Can't play a stand-alone game unless you have an on-line account?  That's garbage.  Make an account.  Then it says the code isn't valid.  The card in the box directs you to a square-enix site, which is in japanese.  They want an account too.  Forget that.  Almost no help on google for any of this.  Finally found this post.  But wait!  Still can't put in a support ticket until you CREATE A SUPPORT ACCOUNT.

Like I said, Never Again!!!

• Like 1

I will never ever buy another game that has the Steam logo on the box.  I bought this for my wife.  Worst setup experience ever.  Installer kept crashing.  After some digging, found you have to go find the Steam.exe and execute it as Administrator.  Then the real pain begins.  Can't play a stand-alone game unless you have an on-line account?  That's garbage.  Make an account.  Then it says the code isn't valid.  The card in the box directs you to a square-enix site, which is in japanese.  They want an account too.  Forget that.  Almost no help on google for any of this.  Finally found this post.  But wait!  Still can't put in a support ticket until you CREATE A SUPPORT ACCOUNT.

Like I said, Never Again!!!

i experienced same to you bro, but after 1 month they finally replied, somehow it eases the hassles and stress

Hi guys,

I purchased the game today, and only a single flyer included in the CD box, which had a registration code for the game, and a URL for online registration ( the Square Enix website).

Anyways, the registration code works at the website and says my game is now registered, yay and how nice.

But, steam will not accept the registration code, and says it is invalid.

So I am now a registered member for a game I cannot instal!!

Does anyone please have any ideas how to fix this, or can point me in the right direction for a workaround?

Thanks so much.

PS: I hate steam, it's what comes off a dump left in the snow. It sucks that people who always buy their games have to navigate a process that's like trying to squeeze a nine ponder through the eye of a needle just to play a game thery have purchased. DRM ftw.

This is way late, but I just installed Dungeon Siege III and thought I had hit this problem... until I realized there are two different activation codes.

Inside the box there should be TWO documents, the Square Enix registration card and the game manual (which is just a few pages long). On the back of the game manual is the code (mine was fifteen characters) you need to use to register the game to Steam. The Square Enix code does NOT work, that is just for registering your game with Square Enix (which has nothing to do with setting up your game with Steam).

Once I had the right code in, the game installed just fine, no problems with Steam or anything. Hope that might be helpful to anyone else with similar issues.

Edited by DeathQuaker

Yay DRM!!!!!

i just love lugging my computer to my parents once a month just so I can log into Steam and play the games in offline mode for another 30 days.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Yay DRM!!!!!

i just love lugging my computer to my parents once a month just so I can log into Steam and play the games in offline mode for another 30 days.

Why do you have to do that? Not arguing with you, I just don't understand the issue. The only problem I've had with offline mode is every once in awhile (not as often as every 30 days) Steam's config file mucks up and says stuff like it can't find my login (sometimes it's because I myself have force closed Steam or something). If you make a backup copy of your config file when your offline mode is working and then use it to reset it when that happens, that should fix it. If you Google around for the full fix you'll find it, I don't remember the exact procedure (i.e., the file you need to backup).

Of course one shouldn't have to deal with the problem at all, but there is a workaround at least.

• Like 1

Yay DRM!!!!!

Why do you have to do that? Not arguing with you, I just don't understand the issue. The only problem I've had with offline mode is every once in awhile (not as often as every 30 days) Steam's config file mucks up and says stuff like it can't find my login (sometimes it's because I myself have force closed Steam or something). If you make a backup copy of your config file when your offline mode is working and then use it to reset it when that happens, that should fix it. If you Google around for the full fix you'll find it, I don't remember the exact procedure (i.e., the file you need to backup).

Of course one shouldn't have to deal with the problem at all, but there is a workaround at least.

Oh hey. Sorry, I just noticed this, and I completely forgot I posted that. I was probably re-logging in at the time. I had just picked DS3 at the time as well and noticed the couple of codes. 

Thanks, I'll try this.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

For information purposes to anyone whom may care and is reading this about how to back up offline mode for Steam:

I've backed up: winui.gcf

That is supposed to be all you have to do, and then overwrite it with the backup file if it logs you out. I just put another copy in My Documents folder, instead of copying and renaming it winui - backup.gcf like it suggests. I'll see how that works.

^^^^^^

Yeah, that one didn't work. I'll see if there is something else I can do.