Vidgy Game Soundtracks

Katphood

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to the new Demon's Souls soundtrack this morning. The original game didn't have the greatest soundtrack or anything, but it was solid enough and had some more interesting bits interspersed with some kind of generic stuff, but the new version is shockingly bad - just loud, slow, and bombastic 'epic' re-imaginations of what were originally pretty subdued tracks that had a lot more personality. Poor Maiden Astraea in particular got butchered, who originally had a really oddball and yet very distinctive song for an actually quite sad and strange boss battle that I wouldn't have ever expected out of a Souls game.

I hate it when orchestral covers just absolutely destroy how the music was supposed to sound - probably my biggest complaint with the rise of complex orchestral soundtracks in the past 15 years, so many of them are just...bland and boring. I guess if you have a sweet sound system, you can probably get your ears blown off if that's your kind of thing, but it ain't mine. I do think there have been some better ones in recent history than there were in the late 2000s/early 2010s, so I'm not writing them off completely...but it seems to take a special kind of composer to do it right, and this definitely was not one of them.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 2 weeks later...

All other soundtracks pale next to TA's

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Katphood said:

Welcome back, I was worried about you because the last time I read one of your posts you mentioned you had the virus ....glad you okay :thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 4 weeks later...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember all the posts in a thread started 9 years ago, sorry if already posted... but the original Mass Effect had some pretty good music 😎

Shame on anyone who doesn't feel nostalgic when listening to any of these...

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And just fom the Bioware titles to the Black Isle titles...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A personal favourite of mine... the first Witcher game ❤️

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why my release doesn't have this track. 

Miles ahead of this one  😛

Game plays this one endlessly it seems.

On 6/14/2021 at 8:32 AM, Gorth said:

A personal favourite of mine... the first Witcher game ❤️

I really liked the Witcher soundtracks... all 3 of them. Though that one in particular is missing my favorite track, Lakeside & Black Tern Island Day.

I've been playing a bit of BATTLETECH lately.

The game has some nice music as well, but they made it kinda hard to listen to because every time a sound effect plays, the music is muffled. This includes the radio squelch sound every time you click on a 'Mech. Oh well.

Soundtrack is by Jon Everist, who also made the Dragonfall and HK music.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The B-side stuff is good

The only good thing in this ****ing piece of **** game

• Like 1

The (I assume) strings at 7:00 are great.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't find the Dead Hand track by itself.

Not bad? Sounds very much like your typical B sci-fi/action tracks, but I think it would work well enough in the background for the kind of gameplay I've watched.

Heh, I was hoping to grab that for like $10 in the summer sale, but no dice. Maybe for Christmas...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling