Vidgy Game Soundtracks

Katphood

Sometime around 15 years ago when I started getting Youth Allowance (student welfare), I spent a significant chunk of it just buying old games on eBay for the trinkets and maps. I think I have four or five copies of Ultima 5 and two or three or some of the others, duplicates because either a copy was incomplete, or because it was sold in a lot with some other games.

Sadly was never able to get the currency coins, but have the ankh (U4), virtue coin (U5), orb (U6), Fellowship coin (U7), pentagram (U8), virtue cards and another ankh (U9) and a UO pendant. I have a sealed copy of Ultima Underworld somewhere, but I don't know if it's an edition that had any trinkets (Runestones) with it.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Since I was in the nostalgic mood anyway...

'PRESS PLAY ON TAPE' performs "Ghost'n Goblins" at Eurcon 2007

Just a short Commodore 64 ad at the beginning

http://youtu.be/JU9pFWN5q3A

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I wish I understood the appeal of the majority of orchestrated game music. Where are the melodies? At least this has a little vocal work, which makes it a little more interesting than a two second drum loop for 90% of the song as it otherwise would've been...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

:p

No, it's just weird...it's like, I listen to early game orchestral music like Jet Force Gemini, or even Baldur's Gate...as well as occasionally a newer work like Super Mario Galaxy...and it's like, these songs have actually interesting melodies and compositions. I listen to something like your Nier song, or the vast majority of a Souls or Elder Scrolls game, and everything just sounds super generic and samey to me. Don't much understand the appeal, and never have. :(

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Bit torn about wether I should put this in the generic music thread over in WoT or here, but here goes;

Many of the tracks he plays activates my memories, decades later, but I can't remember anything from the vast majority of the last few modern games I played.

Edit; Wrong video

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

No, it's just weird...it's like, I listen to early game orchestral music like Jet Force Gemini, or even Baldur's Gate...as well as occasionally a newer work like Super Mario Galaxy...and it's like, these songs have actually interesting melodies and compositions. I listen to something like your Nier song, or the vast majority of a Souls or Elder Scrolls game, and everything just sounds super generic and samey to me. Don't much understand the appeal, and never have. :(

What do I quite enjoy about Nier's soundtrack is that it's not all 'just' that - it's quite varied, as heard in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PysHY23iHUg&feature=youtu.be

and I ... Just love vocals in my soundtracks, which doesn't happen particularly often. Naturally I get why you'd not like soundtracks like these, and to be honest, I too am getting kinda tired lately with overabundance of orchestral music in my soundtracks, which means it has to be really quite special to catch my interest. The two songs I posted just for you ( :wub: ) are those I personally consider to be among my favorite music of the last 3, 4 years or so.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 2

Yeah, that's more like a regular song than orchestrated music, which I can appreciate. RE: vocals in video game music: I'm super picky about vocal-work in general (misophonia and a broad dislike of most voices in general, sadly...), so it's nice when I find *any* music with vocals that I like, whether game music or not. The MOTHER soundtrack instantly became one of my favorite game soundtracks because it has vocal work that I like (which is especially surprising, because it has a variety of different vocal and music styles - and combine that with having probably the best tunes the NES had to offer to begin with!)...but for the majority of cases, I'm unlikely to particularly care for it. The first song you linked, for example, I didn't mind the first vocalist, but the second one instantly grated on me. Combine that with a really basic and repetitive, er..."melody", and the song just didn't do much for me, :(.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Well, yeah, the game hasn't been released yet. :p

I'm in love with the song on this trailer and I can't find it anywhere(Strafe - Gameplay Trailer 2016). 

Sooooo awesome!  :wub:

On one hand this looks like a fun game.

On the other, not another gundam roguelike. -_-

Mighty No. 9 - Horrible game but amazing soundtrack.

Hotline Miami - Phenomenal game but annoying soundtrack.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Bit torn about wether I should put this in the generic music thread over in WoT or here, but here goes;

Many of the tracks he plays activates my memories, decades later, but I can't remember anything from the vast majority of the last few modern games I played.

Edit; Wrong video

I wanted to watch this when you originally posted it, but forgot about it, so now I just did. That was pretty cool. :)

I wanted to watch this when you originally posted it, but forgot about it, so now I just did. That was pretty cool. :)

He's great, not a world class player perhaps, but it's still impressive! I also like the fact that he built the thing himself. Chiptunes generally speaking are great to listen to, but seeing them performed is even better!

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

While many people on InXile's forums hated it, I did love it and I thought it was quite well done.

He also did this song when Bards Tale hit it's kickstarter goal;

Both funny and quite to the point ;)

• Like 2

Would anyone happen to have the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance soundtrack free MP3s from the old Interplay website, circa 2002-2003? It's something that I've been looking for for years now, with no luck. I doubt anyone has it, but if you do...you're probably one out of like maybe ten people who do. The Internet Archive never was able to archive them, either, as a result of the Interplay website hosting them off-site on some ftp server. The only thing that seems to exist of it is some fan-made game rip, which isn't quite the same...

What's everyone's favorite Boss themes? I just reached the Mantis Lords in Hollow Knight last night and I must admit, this is the best boss theme I've heard in years.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...