Vidgy Game Soundtracks

Katphood

And Finally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKA4b5SFq4

Deserves mention, even though Konami disowned it because they screwed up a bit on who was credited with writing it.

Why are we only limited to 2 youtube posts at a time? POOOORRR QUUUUEEE!!!!:??????

Edit:

A VERY personal favorite... and one that will cause terror if you play the older games

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

No... post staples of music that defined entire franchises that lasted beyond a generation of gamers.

Like Zero (ok, it's not really defining but it's bloody awesome), Hell March, and the Medal of Honor theme.

No... post staples of music that defined entire franchises that lasted beyond a generation of gamers.

Like Zero (ok, it's not really defining but it's bloody awesome), Hell March, and the Medal of Honor theme.

You seem to be assuming everyone is the same age, played the same games and had the same reaction to the music in said games as you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjazC45Qkww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA9FhBwRtoc

Edited by AGX-17

Hell March has a decade behind it. The medal of Honor franchise theme has 15(?) years behind it. Xenogears was cult I admit...

Has nobody mentioned One Winged Angel? That's penetrated beyond Games.

Hell March has a decade behind it. The medal of Honor franchise theme has 15(?) years behind it. Xenogears was cult I admit...

Has nobody mentioned One Winged Angel? That's penetrated beyond Games.

Time =/= memorability or quality or what have you. I must have played half a dozen MoH games around the turn of the century and honestly couldn't remember a single piece of music until you posted that video. People who never played Final Fantasy 7 can't be expected to know its final boss theme, much less consider it a classic. It hasn't penetrated beyond games, I have yet to see it mentioned outside the context of video games or video game music. Everything is subjective, especially when it comes to music.

OWA is certainly one of the most recognizable tracks of any video game. Both because of the game it's attached to, and because of Advent Children. Didn't get the penetration of Baba Yetu, but even if you haven't played FFVII you know somebody who has, and have heard it. Even if you're of a younger generation.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiAxiGZKpGQ

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realize Soule composed some of the MoP music. Liked his stuff going back to TA.

For C&C music, Hell March is ok but I'd have to say I like Tension from RA2 or Airstrike from Tiberian Dawn

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Most of my "memorable" game music was from before half the board members were born (probably exaggerated). A lot of the stuff for the C64 in the early 80's were just bloody awesome, catchy tunes. The Commodore Amiga had some "classics" too, especially the Cinemaware games. Black Isle published games sort of make up the PC games I know and remember the music from. Notable exception is Kotor2 which had some of the best music I remember in any video game the last 30 years.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Most of my "memorable" game music was from before half the board members were born (probably exaggerated). A lot of the stuff for the C64 in the early 80's were just bloody awesome, catchy tunes. The Commodore Amiga had some "classics" too, especially the Cinemaware games. Black Isle published games sort of make up the PC games I know and remember the music from. Notable exception is Kotor2 which had some of the best music I remember in any video game the last 30 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnf0q1zOTXs

Edited by AGX-17

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The sweaty-palm memories of my low level naked mage tap-tap-tapping his way around dark corners to this music will never die.

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts