Vidgy Game Soundtracks

Katphood

@Malcador - that Police Quest 2 reminds me Beverly Hills Cop, a little. :)

Botanicula was another one that I liked just about every single track, from the short to the longer.

Liked how they used music and sound effects with occasional vocal exclamations and stuff. Melodic to silly.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think they were aiming for that with Police Quest - make it Miami Vice like and such. PQ3 had Jan Hammer after all!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think I still have the original box with Winter Games for my Amiga. I doubt the floppy disk would be readable by now though (they seem to lose their "magnetizing" over the decades) :(

Epyx was one of my all time favourite developers/publishers.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I had Winter Games for the Mac, World Games and California games for the Apple II. Faaaaaar too much time wasted.

To echo Gorth: Epyx was pretty awesome. I had to goofy habit of making full rosters and using my friends names as names. So 90% of the world records were set by me, but under the name of my friends. My brother pointed out the silliness of my naming scheme for this reason lol.

I think World Games was my favourite. Weightlifting, skiing, cliff diving. So much fun! Although, that was JUST those events, so maybe I didn't like it... as much.

Was pretty dope at surfing, bmx riding, and footbag in California games.

I was STUPIDLY good at the Biathalon in Winter Games lol. I would just go max speed because I had the timing down for the marksmanship spots. This was balanced out by being just putrid at the figure skating.

Sadly I never did play Summer Games.

I had the PC version in glorious 4-colour CGA. I didn't know what it was called or how it played given I'd have been under 5 years old at the time (so gameplay would have consisted of mashing the keyboard until something happened onscreen). By the time I grew up it had disappeared, and it was just a thing in the back of my memory until I recognised what it was years and years later reading an article about 80s DOS games. That, along with Pole Position and Tetris, are my earliest memories of video gaming in any form I think.

I also remember that to start the PC, I had to enter the magical input t-enter-t-enter. It was only years later that I realised that it was just set up with a user name of 't' and a password of 't'. Yeah....

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Thread over.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You can listen to me play, and slightly fumble, the Morrowind main theme here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDEywXBa05w

I'm not normally a fan of the "epic fantasy" tracks but I gotta say, this theme gets me everytime... And I'm not even that big a fan of Morrowind and TES. Here's the original version which is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2qDap4hnmk

Edited by Starwars
  • Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

^^"I'm sorry boss, but i will not come to work today. I'm heading off for some high adventure!"

That's the first impression that i got.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Those combat jingles in Deus Ex was pretty cool. I remember I tried to record the music from the game to make some mixes and extended versions, but the jingles were really too short to avoid sounding monotonous outside of the game. Later I discovered that all the tracks were available in some folder on disc or cd, but I just happened to like my own recordings better because the game itself was adding some noise of its own that made it sound more dynamic and cool.

Soundtracks are nice and Vampire Bloodlines have a lot of cool ones, but I am more attracted to the combat jingles.

I played a game in the mid nineties I think, called In Pursuit of Greed or just "Greed". It was very light entertainment with very poor graphics, doom-clone'ish like so many other games were called at that time, but the music was really nice and made it endurable and all the tracks was in some midi format that could be played on WinAmp, but apparently it doesn't seem to be working that way or I just forgot what player I really used for it. Think it's called MODPlug or something, yeah that's it. 'Unfortunately' it doesn't loop the samples in the same way as in the game, but just play them all sequentially I think. Some tracks by Necros: Isotoxin, Escape, Research Base and a lot of other untitled tracks I don't recall having heard in the game, but they remind me a lot of the theme music in Deus Ex. Unfortunately the one track that made the biggest impression on me is not in the list. It had some electronic voice saying "Elite Force".. as I was fighting some giant robots who also added some sound to the mix.

This version of Isotoxin is clearly taken from the intro, but the game itself doesn't match the graphics here, unfortunately.

http://youtu.be/kXtukCYZdis

Isotoxin and a lot of other tracks by Necros from In Pursuit of Greed also seems to have been included in other games apparently (Unreal Gold, Crusader No Remorse). I just noticed that, when I was searching for some of the tracks on YouTube.

• Like 1

(Signatures: disabled) 

• 2 weeks later...

A certain similarity to your avatar ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I cannot BELIEVE I have to do this myself... in a 2 month old thread.

In sum total... although the fourth track is mah fav

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.