Vidgy Game Soundtracks

Katphood

Best Vidgy Game OST of all time:

1) Divine Divinity (Kirill Pokrovsky)

2) Age of Wonders (Michiel van den Bos)

3) Beyond good & evil (Christophe Héral)

Honourable mentions:

Gothic 3 (Michael Hoenig)

Dune (Stéphane Picq)

Oblivion + Morrowind (Jeremy Soule)

End of line.

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

What no mention of Total Annihilation, Grim Fandango or Mechwarrior 2 ? Heresy.

Also, there was another thread on this, buried now, but had a lot of good stuff.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've always enjoyed bombastic orchestral music - so the Star Wars game's themes (especially KOTOR 2) are a favorite of mine.. Especially the leitmotif (just learned that today) pieces, which are musical themes/elements meant to portray a character, feeling or similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DtVBD6W5_A

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Currently often listening to the Borderlands 2 tracks. Either in-game or outside of it.

Past ones I've enjoyed were Majesty, Nox, KOtor2, Stronghold series...but almost all games that I've played a lot, I'll end up with at least one or two songs off their track that I love. eg, I can't remember most of the music from Dungeon Siege1, but I'll always remember that Main Theme.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I really like the Lynchwood combat music with the timpani drums, and well any track done by Kyd :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqrKibjXDBA

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I really like the Lynchwood combat music with the timpani drums, and well any track done by Kyd :p

I think my fave so far is 'Ice.'

In Borderlands1, I also liked the Krom's Canyon music.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

VtM:Bloodlines, the licensed tracks are great, I became a fan of several of them, and the instrumental soundtrack is really good (each Hub theme is amazing, especially Santa Monica's, Vesuvius, Mission Impossible).

, Build That Wall, The Pantheon, and Spike in the Rail, I don't think they could have done a better job with a soundtrack, it fits the game so well, and there's no weak points.

Other notable soundtracks: Fallout 1 & 2 & 3 & New Vegas, Deus Ex & Human Revolution, Bioshock 1 & 2, PoP: Sands of Time, Portal 1 & 2, World of Goo, Gish, Super Meat Boy, Streets of Rage 2, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life 2, Portal 1 & 2, Diablo II, Red Alert (mostly just for Hell March), the original Tomb Raider.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot
  • Like 1

Here's a list of my favorite video game music.

(0:20)

(linking to the 1985 sequel here, but they sound pretty much the same)

(starts at 0:20, the morse code are the names of the 3 devs)

(doesn't really start until 1:05 and then only gets better and better!)

Shadow of the Beast - Forest

(released in 1993 here, but Japan got it 1990)

Streets of Rage - Violent Breathing

(the
is truly excellent as well)

(the diary theme is better)

Final Fantasy VI - Opening Theme

Super Metroid - Brinstar Overgrown with Vegetation Area

Super Metroid - Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area

Super Metroid - Norfair Ancient Ruins Area

Chrono Trigger - Secret of the Forest

Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time

Chrono Trigger - Schala's Theme

Suikoden - Forgotten Days

Final Fantasy Tactics - Prologue Movie

Xenogears - Shevat

Metal Gear Solid - Discovery

Dune 2000 - Under Construction

Outcast - Oriental Spirit

The Longest Journey - Shark

Discworld Noir – Piano Bar Song

Suikoden 2 - Battlefield without Light

Final Fantasy IX - Place of Memory

Ico - Castle in the Mist

Unlimited SaGa - Unlimited SaGa Overture

Unlimited SaGa - Battle II (arguably the best battle song ever made)

(especially at the harpy bit that starts at 0:38)

Suikoden 3 - Stupid Ducks

Freedom Fighters - Freedom Fighters

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - Dark Palace of Waterfalls

Shadow of the Colossus - Prologue

Shadow of the Colossus - Violent Encounter

Shadow of the Colossus - Revived Power

Republic Commando - Vode An

Jade Empire - Main Theme

Suikoden V - One Peaceful Moment

Suikoden V - Tactican

Suikoden V - The Extreme Deep

Suikoden V - Counteroffensive

Final Fantasy XII - Eruyt Village

Yakuza 2 - A Scattered Moment (was released in 2008 here, but released in Japan in 2006)

(Especially when the harp kicks in around 2:37 to the end)

Mass Effect - Uncharted Worlds

Mirror's Edge - Solar Fields

(the
from 1988 is awesome too)

Ys I & II Chronicles - Palace (the

is from 1987)

NieR - Temple of Drifting Sands

Radiant Historia - Mechanical Kingdom

Radiant Historia - Blue Radiance

Radiant Historia - The Red Locus

Xenoblade Chronicles - Main Theme

Xenoblade Chronicles - Satorl, the Shimmering Marsh / Night

Xenoblade Chronicles - Mechonis Field

Xenoblade Chronicles - Imperial Capital Agniratha / Night

Skyrim - Secunda

• Like 3

(0:20)

Those were great days to be a gamer :thumbsup:

Surprised that nobody likes

(warning, click at your own risk to your sanity).

One of many personal favourites from the time

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Is that all? ;)

I remember that Baldur's Gate song, now that I hear it again. Right up my alley. I don't think I've played too many of those games on your list, so going to be fun going through all the links a bit at a time.

Snake Rattle n Roll, baby.

VtM:Bloodlines, the licensed tracks are great, I became a fan of several of them, and the instrumental soundtrack is really good (each Hub theme is amazing, especially Santa Monica's, Vesuvius, Mission Impossible).

Yep, one of my favorite game soundtracks.

Others I've enjoyed: no specific tracks but generally music from Final Fantasy VII-X, Silent Hill 1-3, Mirror's Edge, some tracks from Alan Wake

Edited by arrowhead

Heresy I know, but music is something I probably take note of least in a typical game, except a few that really grab me, or tickle the nostalgia bone:

Interstate '76

Wing Commander 1/2

The Curse of Monkey Island

There was a really cool African sounding track on Civ:Call to Power, no idea what it's called and it's literally the only good thing about that mess of a game. Then there's Baba Yetu, everyone loves Baba Yetu right? Hey it won a Grammy? :p

Fake edit: Wow, Snake Rattle and Roll is a game that it seems gets lost when talking about classic NES games - which I won't blame anyone for because I tend to forget it myself. One of the earliest games I've played no doubt - alas too hard for a fat fingered kid. :)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

What no mention of Total Annihilation, Grim Fandango or Mechwarrior 2 ? Heresy.

Also, there was another thread on this, buried now, but had a lot of good stuff.

I feel compelled to post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ0LAs9KiXc

I like Fight On from FF7 (I think mostly due to nostalgia now, but it just fit so well with the boss fights). This track is probably a key cog for the scene that converted me back to a PC gamer back in 1999. I think Bloodlines had some catchy ones that seemed to fit the scene so well.

There's something about

that has some tracks that I
for no particular reason!

And while many may feel it reminds them too much of something they didn't enjoy,

is a great piece IMO.

Those were great days to be a gamer :thumbsup:

Indeed :)

I remember after I just got Bubble Bobble I played it with a friend of mine and he got absolutely crazy about the song and would hum it lots and lots for weeks, or maybe months even. Went on for quite some time in any case.

One of many personal favourites from the time

Good stuff :)

Is that all? ;)

Actually, no :p When I started on that list I put up some rules so it shouldn't be too much. Over time I kinda went overboard with it anyway, but stuff is still missing, especially from the C64, SMS and NES times. Not to mention those I didn't find on Youtube or somehow forgot about while doing the list :p

I remember that Baldur's Gate song, now that I hear it again. Right up my alley. I don't think I've played too many of those games on your list, so going to be fun going through all the links a bit at a time.

Cool, hope you enjoy them 8) Hope you know

at least :p

Hehe, my neighbour had that one, we used to play it lots.

Persona 4 has some really damn catchy music. (Now if only I could make out half of what they're saying.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzFl6sWHmXI

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl also has a really cool (And depressing) menu theme that I love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7O6LasKHfM

Edited by Yes Man
  • Like 1

"Well, there's many things they have forgotten sitting in their bowls. Friendship. The thrill of discovery. Love. Masturbation. The usual." -Dr. Mobius

(Gustaf Grefberg):

I sure should play this game some time, it's been in my backlog for a number of years now. Not to mention I used to be a huge fan of Gustaf Grefberg back in the mid-90s and it would be interesting to hear what he sounds like nowdays.