Level up rate?

Weapon Level

Armor Level

Quest Experience & Leveling Up

Progression

Now that I remember it, I really liked how weapon skill worked in Baldur's Gate. I really like all of your suggestions for that matter, if we're taking it to a vote. I hope they read this thread and consider all the suggestions that people have made here when setting up how things work in the game, instead of just reading the original post and just doing this:

Back in the BG series, experience growth was relatively slow and it felt like an accomplishment to reach a new level. Since then, D&D v3.5 rules came out and level up began to feel almost like a cheesy accomplishment that didn't require much effort. That has become the trend in modern games: leveling up after every few battles. I have to wonder how this will be handled in PE? It sounds like Obsidian wants to return to the style of the BG series, which would seems to entail a return to slower level progress. If they do allow a more rapid level up, I hope they tone down the power growth rate so that lower level monsters remain a challenge for longer periods.

We are working hard to make Project Eternity revive the spirit of the older IE games, and this includes making leveling up an important accomplishment, one that makes your character feel substantially more powerful afterward. I agree that frequent level-ups make the event feel less special, so we plan to space out these events over the course of our storyline. The first few level-ups will occur relatively early in the game, but the pacing of the subsequent level-ups will be much slower.

For people who enjoy level-ups, they are free to use our Adventurer's Hall to swap out new companions frequently, so they are always leveling up new characters to use in later parts of the story. For people who aren't sure what character classes they will want to have available in the end game, it's always nice to have the choice of having all of them.

I am unhappy with Tim Cain's answer :(

If that's how they did it, I would deal. (I enjoy more frequent low power-boosting level-ups, if it has to be level-based progression) But as I mentioned earlier, I don't like using more than one character (with the exception of NPC interacting party members). I most likely wont use Adventurer's Hall until I've beaten the game first, or achieve max level if they put one in there (which I'd also dislike). I'm not saying that method is necessarily bad, that's why it wont stop me from playing or anything, but there are better ways. Ways where everyone wins instead of just that side wins and the other side is just thrown a rat bone. Though perhaps I'm just the odd one out with this whole Adventurer's Hall thing.

Edited by Branimir

^I looked for Tim Cain's comment in this thread Branimir. Didn't find it. Please don't falsify Obsidian's replies without proper sourcing.

How do you think I found this thread? Project Eternity KickStarter Update #22.

http://www.kickstart...ty/posts/327839

I thought everyone read them. They're emailed to me automatically for donating to the KickStarter project.

They're also here on the forum:

http://forums.obsidi...one-trolls-you/

I never said it was a quote from this thread.

I'm still catching up on them, I just read #22 yesterday. (I've got 6 more to go still) I was unhappy enough with what I read to search for this thread and post my preference. Since things aren't set in stone yet. That's what we keep hearing, but one never knows whether a developer will just go with their first plan or give it more careful consideration. But its better to give my preference in the hopes that they'll consider it than to not give it and then not give them the chance to.

Edited by Branimir
  • Like 1

The rate of level/power gain in Baldur's Gate 1 was about perfect (sans XP cap). Baldur's gate 2 leveled you a bit too fast.

I love BG2, it was an awesome game. Probably the only thing I could take issue with in that game was the level progress. In a big way it felt like BG 2 and 3 were pushed into one game (plus expansion) in terms of level progress.

I say that having played, BG1 & 2, IWD2, Planescape Torment (also about perfect but you played a demigod of sorts, so not for Project Eternity), NWN2, Dragon Age, and a plethora of other non Bioware/Obsidian Games from the 80s until today.

One of the major things wrong with modern Computer RPGs is that you do gain levels and power too fast. NWN2, while a great game, had you at something like level 3 or 4 only an hour or two into the game. Please no to that.

This, I feel, is more about engaging player. Personally, I feel that a fast leveling rate is the "lazy" route that cRPG dev. used to keep the player engaged with new "bells and whistles" spells and skills. I would like to see a cRPG that utilize a smaller set of spells/skills but each one of them has more depth. We see this more in action game but why not cRPG. eg. level 1 fire base spell can be cast at an enemy at range to serve like a magic missle type spell. Let the player experiment around with the same spell, say cast it on oneself, it's cold resistance, cast it on a sword, you get flamming sword. Throw a oil flask on the ground and then cast it, mini fireball. This can work with skills or physical attack too. Instead of fighter or melee class doing boring generic attack, gives them some combat moves with varying attack speed, damage, hit rate so that they can mix and match.

By providing depth instead of more bells and whistle, the game can go with a more reasonable progression and slow down the power creep that turns combat encounter to pretty boring dances of death past the mid-late stage of the game.

Edited by Aldereth
  • Like 1

well this isn't dungeon and dragon anymore. Level cap doesn't have to be 20. They do not even have to use a level based system if they want to. Don't mind how fast they do it. Long as the game has a consistent challenging, addictive, and of course fun battle system with diverse encounters I'll play it.

Edited by Failion
  • Like 1

Today I discovered a game on Kongregate.com with an interesting character progression system that I really loved a lot. The game is called Arkandian Explorer what do you think of this style of character progression?

There are no classes, just multiple races, It is not level-based or skill-based, aside from magic spells which anyone can learn. There are a number of statistics, such as weapon attack, weapon defense, blocking, dodging, archery, blacksmithing, leadership, bargaining, and a whole lot more, which are used in calculating the success of actions in and outside of battle. They're increased while performing those actions, I don't know what the programmer used for calculating when and how much a statistic will increase. There is no strength, dexterity, et cetera.

I had asked Feargus how much advancement there would be in PE on KS. I was worried that since this was gonna be part of a series, there there might not enough advancement in the first installment. According to Feargus, leveling in PE will be comparable to like 12ish levels in the old IE games. This leaves room for more advancement in a sequel.

And IIRC Josh has also stated that new levels will appear rather slowly but the gains for each level will be significant (worth waiting for)

For me the combination of these three factors is just about perfect

1) slow leveling

2)significant gains per level

3) finish in the low teens (leaving room for more in a sequel)

Edited by wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...