Am I the only one vaguely uneasy about the reward tiers over $1,000?

Arghh... waiting for potions of Pepsi and Coca Cola and all their imagined benefits. Or what's their name, all the guano based energy drinks. Fatigue? Have a Red Taurus.

Red Bull gives you wings, literally.

• Like 1

Why do you suppose that Obsidian isn't going to monitor those proposals and balance/tweak them as necessary? The "within reason" is as implied "must be balanced and fit the game".

Exactly, pretty much sums up what I thought as well, why so little faith in the devs OP?

all the guano based energy drinks.

:blink:
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Lots? ;)

I have a bit of faith in Obsidian given their history. Which is why I'm only 'uneasy' and not 'withdrawing my pledge.' I expect they'll do the right thing, but the wording of what people are getting worries me a touch.

Sorry missed this bit, depends on how big the game world really is doesn't it... in a major city there could be loads of inns. I'm just saying I don't think you should be so uneasy about it is all...

200 NPCs sounds like a lot. And, well it is a lot if it's not including bandits. However, it's been so long since a 2D isometric RPG has been done that aren't accommodating consoles, we may just have become accustomed to sparse towns.

Still, crowdsourcing background NPCs isn't a completely terrible idea. Name a group of chatterboxes in the market. Name a family whose house can have their shelves raided for 3 gold pieces. Pick out their color scheme and garish hats.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

*Cough* :blush:

Google tells me the word I was looking for was "Guava", which is apparently something slightly different.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Lots? ;)

On a serious note, I believe Obsidian is going to hand out templates and guidelines to help people at least starting down the right path. You are right though, fanfic is scary stuff. Fanfic writers may not necessarily be the ones putting up the big bucks (aren't poets and their like the ones always talking about starving artists?).

I agree, it's almost guaranteed that there'll be guidelines - the content designed by backers has to fit the game, otherwise it's not even worth making. At least not in my opinion.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Why do you suppose that Obsidian isn't going to monitor those proposals and balance/tweak them as necessary? The "within reason" is as implied "must be balanced and fit the game".

This exactly. I think one of the tiers even outlines that Obsidian will send that backer a template to fill out. Which means Obsidian can ask them to fill in specific items, and thus will be able to incorporate the answers the backer gives with what they're already doing.

It's not like they're going to expect the backers to actually code or program anything.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I brought up this topic with Chris Avellone a few weeks back. He's worked with similar player-created content in Wasteland 2 recently. Apparently it has not been a problem and implementing the player ideas has been pretty fun for the devs. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 8

*Cough* :blush:

Google tells me the word I was looking for was "Guava", which is apparently something slightly different.

No, I've tried it. You were right the first time.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It says you'll get a character sheet and they'll take the name, class and race you provide and turn it into an NPC. What should go wrong with that?

And 200 people? That's some great math.

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

The only minor issue I can see (that perhaps wouldn't be as much of an issue in something like Wasteland 2) is with NPC names. Often in fantasy games, certain races have a unique style or trend when it comes to their names. I'm not sure I like the idea of lots of Elves or Dwarves walking around with names like Joe Bloggs, or Chris Smith. Or even something fantasy-sounding that's completely contrary to the kind of names the developers are coming up with for a certain race.

Edited by Piccolo
  • Like 1

I brought up this topic with Chris Avellone a few weeks back. He's worked with similar player-created content in Wasteland 2 recently. Apparently it has not been a problem and implementing the player ideas has been pretty fun for the devs. I wouldn't worry about it.

Indeed: obviously Obsidian still has the last word to say about the designs of these items.

To OP: if I were to pledge 1000$ just so I could get the Arcane **** of Instant Gratification into the game, well, I’d end up humming ‘can’t get no satisfaction’, don’t you think?

Besides, most people will want to make a truly cool item, not a 1000$ gag gift.

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!

Indeed: obviously Obsidian still has the last word to say about the designs of these items.

Which makes me curious: suppose Obsidian turns down a design. The person who designed it pledged good money, with the stated reward for that pledge being that they get to design an item/NPC/whatever. Does Obsidian reserve the right to revoke that reward? Will Obsidian return the money if they do so? Will they simply tell the person to design something else, since what they've been given isn't acceptable, and keep it up until they get something that is acceptable?

It would be much easier if this were simply an offer for fans to send in requests. As it stands, this is marked as a reward. People are paying for the right to design something, which means it isn't quite as clear-cut as just saying 'no.'

To OP: if I were to pledge 1000$ just so I could get the Arcane **** of Instant Gratification into the game, well, I’d end up humming ‘can’t get no satisfaction’, don’t you think?

Besides, most people will want to make a truly cool item, not a 1000$ gag gift.

Yes, I have no real fear of 'gag designs', given the size of pledges involved. What I fear is not so much malice as incompetence.

Regardless, glad to hear from a designer that they've thought of this too, and Chris Avellone's experience on Wasteland 2 is proving this to be not really a problem.

• Like 1

I can understand that you fear a tad of incompetence, Miyagi, but again, the devs are bound to step in and make sure all items fit well into the word of Project Eternity.

As for rejected designs, I think there will be few of them in the first place as you’ll design your item through designer sheets they’ll send you. Revoking rewards and all that, I really doubt it will ever come to that.

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!

I think anyone paying that kind of money is going to want their item to fit in... and none will have stupid ideas, if i was paying $5k on an adventuring party i know dmn well i would make sure it worked with the game, all of the people backing are fans of this type oif game and wouldnt want to ruin it.

I'd imagine that there are ways to control this - guideline given up front, smoothing out things on the back end - so that everything works well. Or I'm an optimist, nearing Pollyanna proportions. One or the other.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Aside from the fact that the developers can act as a 'shield' from the eventual crazy suggestion, I have faith that whoever spent so much money to gain that kind of right, is someone that is truly faithful to the idea of 'old rpg' and wouldn't dare to try and force into the game something stupid.

That's great to hear! I realize there's only so much information you can release each day-- and you're doing a fantastic job keeping us all updated. Seriously, you can't really ask for more considering how excited we all are.

That said, those of us contributing at that level would sure like some more info as to what exactly we'll be able to do-- prior to the 16th. Some questions can be found here. We've heard nothing but rumor so far, other than that we'll apparently have our own email contact for questions and/or a forum to discuss our ideas.

My primary concern is that we'll be given a template and asked to select from a handful of weapons, armor, etc, then asked to pick from a list of existing attributes (+2 fire, knockback, etc) and then finish by naming it-- and that's it. I'm honored and excited to be able to assist with funding this game, but if item design will be as dumbed down as that, I really would not be interested in committing to that level of funding.

In addition, I'm now also concerned with the player-made items/enchantment ability mentioned as a stretch goal. I love this option as a player and fan of RPGs. But as a person who may be designing an "epic" item, I have to think that this will devalue the items we create. It's been my experience that, inevitably, the player-made items can and will be as powerful if not more powerful than the static items already available, and when given the choice, I think most people would rather create their own to suit the needs of their PC.

While I'm sure some players will appreciate the expanded lore of the items we help design and perhaps even use them as wall decorations, I fear most people will be more inclined to simply sell static items for gold once they attain the ability to make their own. I was enticed by the belief that our designed items would remain with players for a significant portion of the game (or beyond in expansions/sequels) because they would be far and away the top-end items available.

So... Bottom line is we need more info prior to Oct 16th. Thanks!

First, there is room for NPC's and such that might seem dumb or silly if they are given good context and story which is something I believe is one of the hallmarks of OE.

Second, if someone really insists on creating a character that OE thinks is not appropriate, they can always shove it away to the bottom of a throw-away dungeon on the corner of the map.

So no, not worried. I'm more worried about what I'm going to do to pass the time until it's released.

• Like 1

"Yeah I bet Obsidian would be able to fit even Ninja Zombie Cheerleader Pandas into the lore, without raising any questions :)"

Sorry for the lack of quote tag techinical difficulties.

That should totally be the stretch goal for 2.8 million, a Lesbian Ninja Zombie Cheerleader Panda class :p

Seriously anybody paying that kind of money is a big enough fanboy/girl to be trusted with the honor. No ones going to spend that kind of monet in to say add Howard Stern's producer, Bababooey, as an NPC.

• Like 1

I am a bit concerned and uneasy about RPGcodex steadily making their way to $5000 for a party of enemy codexians. That'd be kinda 4th wall breaking - in the sense that do I immidiately inundate the party with fire/acid or use conventional tactics?. ;(