Query: Optional "ARPG" controls?

i Like the idea of Controls similar to League of Legends.

Still better graphics and the ability to zoom to the action now and then to see in close a deathblow or something to give the combat some "Flash".

Edited by ReyVagabond

That whole hold a button to allow that kind of group movement/camera lock on group for it is... probably the only way to do it in IE-style game. I think it would be a nice ease-of-use thing if It was fluidy enough. Normal click-hold is used for box-group selection though... rather not have that removed for something that's not entirely needed.

Def Con: kills owls dead

That whole hold a button to allow that kind of group movement/camera lock on group for it is... probably the only way to do it in IE-style game. I think it would be a nice ease-of-use thing if It was fluidy enough. Normal click-hold is used for box-group selection though... rather not have that removed for something that's not entirely needed.

good point about the drag box. I've never seen both in the same game.

What about character grouping? Hotkey a button to select all of my melee and another for all of my range characters.

I have to say, I love the League of Legends option of holding in spacebar to keep the camera locked, but having it free any other time.

I am not against a button that locks the camera, but it should not be spacebar -- that has been reserved for pausing in every such game I have played and I would hate for it to be anything else.

I have to say, I love the League of Legends option of holding in spacebar to keep the camera locked, but having it free any other time.

I am not against a button that locks the camera, but it should not be spacebar -- that has been reserved for pausing in every such game I have played and I would hate for it to be anything else.

good call i wasn't even thinking about that. I wouldn't want it to be spacebar either. I'd be happy if just double pressing or holding the character select numbers centered to them.

Edited by ogrezilla

Keep in mind people, that all of this would be optional, I can't stress that enough, I wouldn't want them to ruin the game for everyone who liked the classic feel of Baldur's Gate and company. The only problems that could arise would be if the alternate control methods couldn't be implemented because of how the game works at it's core. I don't see an optional control method as having to change that core to make it work, I would rather that they mold the optional method to suit the core.

All I'm really looking for is a way to get even more immersed in Obsidian's marvellous storylines, the old IE games don't do that for me though :/ No matter what though, I'd still gladly pay 60+ dollars for this.

I do not believe time and resources should be spent on fiddling with the controls to make them more streamlined. This is supposed to be a homage to the IE games not Diablo. Development spent on a separate slate of controls could be spent on things to deepen the controls already in place. I recall the wonderful system put in place for ToEE. I would love to see then take that radial system and make it even more in depth. Attempts to make some oversimplified ARPG alternate interface would probably both draw resources away from the prime interface AND result in the limitation/modification of content to fit the mold of a simplified alternate system

These are bad things.

Leave the ARPG control to the ARPGs.

Edited by Shevek
  • Like 1

I do not believe time and resources should be spent on fiddling with the controls to make them more streamlined. This is supposed to be a homage to the IE games not Diablo. Development spent on a separate slate of controls could be spent on things to deepen the controls already in place. I recall the wonderful system put in place for ToEE. I would love to see then take that radial system and make it even more in depth. Attempts to make some oversimplified ARPG alternate interface would probably both draw resources away from the prime interface AND result in the limitation/modification of content to fit the mold of a simplified alternate system

These are bad things.

a lot of this stuff really comes from strategy games first. Basically everything he's talking about except for the clicking for every attack and holding the mouse to keep moving I would consider enhancements to the controls already in place. Its just hotkeys and camera controls otherwise.

These are bad things.

Although I agree with you mostly on the economical aspects, I still flirt with the thought/dream myself; "But what if I can be innovative enough to make it work?", not necessarily something that I expect either will work or want to try. "How far does the boundaries go?" kind of thing, to what one could do with modern technology. Just for instance, imagine playing Baldur's Gate with League of Legends controls in a way you would want Baldur's Gate to be played with League of Legends controls. I'm pretty sure that you and I could get to a similar conclusion, seeing as we enjoy the same games lots :)

Can you apply modern to classic? If the original idea is great, but the technology at that era is not as... modern... as today's era, could you not apply said modern mechanics that do work and apply to, said, older~ technology?