Sith historical ties

Those of us who have watched Star Wars episodes 4-6, I am assuming all of us have, should know that the Empire was a reference to the Nazis. Palpatine's name was taken from the Palatine hill, which was the location of the Roman imperial palace. What many people may not know is the Sith name might be taken from the Scythians. If one looks at Korribans location it is to the East on the galactic map, also Herodotus (spelling) called the Scythians the Scyth in his writings. For those unfamiliar with the Scythians they were a nomadic culture which spawned the Sarmatian, Hun, Khazar, and Mongolian empires. They lived on the steppe, which is barren compared to Western Europe, and part of their region, the Caucaus mountains, can be very jagged. Korriban was a mountainous and relatively barren world. Plus while the Valley of the Sith can be related to the Valley of the Kings in Egypt, the Scythians also practised similiar burial rituals ie burrying a leader with his possesions, and on occasion significant others. Just a thought.

thanks for the very interesting info.

another Nazi reference which I think is obvious is Vader's Helmet

And the Feldgrau outfits of the Imperial Officers. And the 'stormtroopers', a reference to the SS. And the whole 'Palpatine as racist' thing.

Let's face it: the entire Empire was Hollywood Nazis in Space. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Does anybody know anything concrete about references to the infamous Nazi propoganda film 'The Power of the Will' (a stinking propoganda which seems to have been so well filmed that it has influenced many filmmakers) inside Star Wars?

I think the connection with Nazi propoganda is the usage of large numbers of soldiers in imposing uniforms. The Imperial Guard cut a very striking figure, and almost all assemblies are of large numbers in parade precision. Look at the Nurenberg films and you can really see the influence it had on how Lucas shot scenes with Stormtroopers and the emperor.

Does anybody know anything concrete about references to the infamous Nazi propoganda film 'The Power of the Will' (a stinking propoganda which seems to have been so well filmed that it has influenced many filmmakers) inside Star Wars?

'Triumph of the Will', Triumph des Willens. :huh:

And the only reference I can think of off the top of my head is the line-up of Stormtroopers and Imperial Officers that greet the Emperor in ROTJ.

Triumph%20of%20the%20Will.jpg

As you can see, the line-up awaiting Adolf Hitler was rather more impressive. I guess Lucas couldn't afford tens of thousands of extras in Stormtrooper outfits....

'Triumph of the Will', Triumph des Willens. :huh:

thanks

And the only reference I can think of off the top of my head is the line-up of Stormtroopers and Imperial Officers that greet the Emperor in ROTJ.

someone on the dvd page on amazon was referring to the final scene where Han Solo and Luke receive their medals, is that right? That would be quite weird...

If there were a proper videotheque around I could find out myself, but... anyway

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

thanks again for the pic.

which reminds me: Did anyone else get disillusioned by the DS ending of Kotor, in that while I was waiting for Revan to 'address' a crowd as insanely out of proportion as in the pic. above, all that was revealed was a scene reminiscent rather of the ending of Enter the Dragon.

Or perhaps more accurately, like Revan looking outide his balcony with fans screaming at his doorstep

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

thanks again for the pic.

which reminds me: Did anyone else get disillusioned by the DS ending of Kotor, in that while I was waiting for Revan to 'address' a crowd as insanely out of proportion as in the pic. above, all that was revealed was a scene reminiscent rather of the ending of Enter the Dragon.

Or perhaps more accurately, like Revan looking outide his balcony with fans screaming at his doorstep

Yes the small crowd was dissappointing. The number of people in the picture about I believe was something like 250,000-300,000. I was hoping for a final scene more like the one that ended SW Attack of the Clones, just without the star destroyers.

Those of us who have watched Star Wars episodes 4-6,  I am assuming all of us have, should know that the Empire was a reference to the Nazis.  Palpatine's name was taken from the Palatine hill, which was the location of the Roman imperial palace.  What many people may not know is the Sith name might be taken from the Scythians.  If one looks at Korribans location it is to the East on the galactic map, also Herodotus (spelling) called the Scythians the Scyth in his writings.  For those unfamiliar with the Scythians they were a nomadic culture which spawned the Sarmatian, Hun, Khazar, and Mongolian empires.  They lived on the steppe, which is barren compared to Western Europe, and part of their region, the Caucaus mountains, can be very jagged.  Korriban was a mountainous and relatively barren world.  Plus while the Valley of the Sith can be related to the Valley of the Kings in Egypt, the Scythians also practised similiar burial rituals ie burrying a leader with his possesions, and on occasion significant others.  Just a thought.

I think the idea that Star Wars is influenced by the Nazis is a little far fetched!

And All armies have parades to welcome their leaders and to award medals to their heros, it is not something unique to the germans! Its a military thing. lets not get carried away.

Oh No! They have parades, they must be influenced by Nazis! :huh: Oh My God!

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Those of us who have watched Star Wars episodes 4-6,  I am assuming all of us have, should know that the Empire was a reference to the Nazis.  Palpatine's name was taken from the Palatine hill, which was the location of the Roman imperial palace.  What many people may not know is the Sith name might be taken from the Scythians.  If one looks at Korribans location it is to the East on the galactic map, also Herodotus (spelling) called the Scythians the Scyth in his writings.  For those unfamiliar with the Scythians they were a nomadic culture which spawned the Sarmatian, Hun, Khazar, and Mongolian empires.  They lived on the steppe, which is barren compared to Western Europe, and part of their region, the Caucaus mountains, can be very jagged.  Korriban was a mountainous and relatively barren world.  Plus while the Valley of the Sith can be related to the Valley of the Kings in Egypt, the Scythians also practised similiar burial rituals ie burrying a leader with his possesions, and on occasion significant others.  Just a thought.

I think the idea that Star Wars is influenced by the Nazis is a little far fetched!

And All armies have parades to welcome their leaders and to award medals to their heros, it is not something unique to the germans! Its a military thing. lets not get carried away.

Oh No! They have parades, they must be influenced by Nazis! :rolleyes: Oh My God!

Darth the Rebels had a medal ceremony at the end of A New Hope, that wasn't what I was talking about, I was only talking about the Empire. The Empires uniforms and actions were clearly based on the Nazis. The two Death Stars could even be representative of the Nazi warships Bismark and Tirpitz, both of which were the most powerful and ultimatly destroyed, the Tirpitz having been destroyed in harbor and never having its full capabilities tested.

So they have miltary uniforforms and wish to rule the galaxy (or the world, in the case of the nazis). I doubt GL went around studing the Nazis copying thier uniforms and their tactics. He was just inventing an evil empire and because their are slight similarities to the nazis, you are saying they must be based on them!

They only person who could answer this question is GL himself.

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

So they have miltary uniforforms and wish to rule the galaxy (or the world, in the case of the nazis). I doubt GL went around studing the Nazis copying thier uniforms and their tactics. He was just inventing an evil empire and because their are slight similarities to the nazis, you are saying they must be based on them!

It actually isn't very far-fetched. I think George Lucas himself has said he modelled the Empire on Nazism.

Think about it: a scheming politician is appointed Chancellor in the midst of a collapsing Republic, with the duel hope that he can bring strength to the government while at the same time acting as a puppet for the forces that appointed him. Once in power, however, he declares an emergency situation, destroying the people who brought him to power and seizing absolute control for himself. Starting slowly at first, he plays to people's desire for safety and strong leadership; by the time the worst of his policies are unveiled, it's already too late, and he is absolute master of his country/Empire.

Palpatine is Hitler, Hitler is Palpatine, right down to the title they used before they seized absolute power and became Emperor/Fuhrer, respectively.

Someone needs to watch a little PBS. A little program called Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Those are just similarities, you show me where GL says he used the nazis as a base then i will shut up.

PS could u please change ur sig, as it makes it difficult for me to keep down my food?

???  :)

In my experience in history, all dictators have been this way. All the way to ancient Greece.

And has anyone even thought of that in Episodes 4-6, the word Sith hasnt even been used?

Thank you, that is my point.

As i said if you can find proof that GL did use the nazis specifically then i will concede the point.

Those are just similarities, you show me where GL says he used the nazis as a base then i will shut up.

PS could u please change ur sig, as it makes it difficult for me to keep down my food?

The Art of Star Wars books, released by Lucas, show him using pictures of Nazi propoganda to model the Imperial forces on.

Your logic for Korriban is flawed seeing how Korriban was created in the comics and not by George Lucas at all.

"Or did he have one of his minions wright it?"

Wright? Umm...yes. There is a Wright Brothers Exhibit in the Smithsonian.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle