A few small features I want to see in PE personally

First, magic. I hope the magic do not only affect combat, but play an important role in quest solution and story propress. As I said in another topic,the magic "charm person" will became a really funny magic if we could interact with charmed enemies. Some added dialogue, storys or even hiding quests could support great fun to players. Aslo, we can imagine some similar situation:

When you want steal a treasure in museum which protected by some guards, the magic "sleep" will help you get it in peace.Another day you can come back as a visitor and no one is doubtful that you were the theif.

When you bargain with a profiteer, the magic "feeblemind" will help you get a better price.

The magic "detected illusion" could be used in some no-combat situation, for example:" you spell it and find out the old witcher hiding in the black forest."

Sometimes maybe we can use special magic to speak with animal(maybe ranger is more suitable?) or devil for information and quests. I still remember the funny magic "Death Speak" in PS:T. And we can use "Wizard eye" to get in some place where human can't get in. In my memory in a old RPG “NOX”,we need to disarm some traps and open some machinery by different magic."Limited wish""Blind""imprisonment","shapechage",there are many thing magic can do, please dig them out.

That's my expectation on magic system. It haven't gone to far, right?

Second, combat.This is the part I most worry about. I know many people think the combat system in BG2 is awesome. But I don't think it was perfect. In fact, the success of combat system in BG2 is turely the success of magic system. Assume we take away all the wizard spells and priest spells from it, how boring the combat will be! What I want to say is: all the melee combat in those infinity engine games was boring. A exciting combat need varied tactics. But the things fighters'did in those games always were making damage and enduring damage. Of course they should be able to stun enemies,knock down their weapons, chop off their hands or legs,stumble them, poke them blind,kick them away, jump attack,defend by weapon, attack by shield, even hold them by hands, wrap them by chain(monk needs even more). If the things fighers can do become varied, the melee combat tactics will become varied.

Unlike magic system, melee combat improvement need a better 3D character model building to show meticulous body movement. That will be designers' challenge.

And we saw Obsidian emphasized many times the real-time pause system will be most suitable to PE. That's exactly right. But I think real-time pause system is not enough today. In 2012 we can do better than 10 years ago. The pointing system in fallout could be a very good supportment to real-time pause system. Choice a special part of enemy's body when game pause. Different part you attack, different effect you make. To add more fun, give us informative combat log with black humor.

additional, I hope there will be a few legendary battles with gaint creatures, as I discuss in this topic.

http://forums.obsidi...reatures-in-pe/

About plotline,I never worry about that.Anyway we have Chris Avollone. It sure PE will become a great story. But he may need to work harder because we have 6 companions in PS:T but 8-9 companions in PE. :devil:

About gameworld, that's a too big topic. Let's discuss it later...

A few other hopes:

About solo, I know PE is a party based game. But solo is a classic addtional play choice. Please make sure that we can solo whole the game without companion (could be very hard). And,give us a special scene which need to be passed by solo(like Beating succubus in DAO 1).Give every companion a chance to show theirselves. A fighting circus is a example. Our character and companion can independently fight here, to earn rewards and test solo ability.

Could we go more far? How about a multiplayer circus? John said they are focus on better single player game. I totally agree with that. But why couldn't we get a place to challange other guys and get 3 minutes fun? I think such an internet PVP model is very easy to design and won't cost many money. It can help us check our character building. Yes I know balance in such RPG is not necessary. But the research on character building was a great part in tranditional DND game. It makes the combat system much deeper.

So, small budget and special fun. Give us a multplayer circus please!

By the way, I have a question here:" Will PE allow characters turn class as BG?"

About thief skill. I was anxious when those NPCs who become hostile after I steal them. They didn't see my stealing at all! So please fix that unreasonable setting. And I hope we can do something like that: when you want to attack a powerful neutral NPC, you can send you thief to steal his equipments to make the battle easier. That's the sweet spot of thief class.

And the sneak skill could be more interesting. We know spy always sneak to enemies' house and steal some information. That could be thieives' new job. We can design some area like that: when you just walk in, you will face enemies' attack. But if you sneak in, you can hear some dialog between enemies. And the information will lead to new consequence. Isn't it funny?

About player house. That's a very cool idea. But I want more(God, am I a greedy guy?). If it is possible, I want to get player castle and manor. That's suitable in middle age world setting.We already have similar thing in BG2 and NWN. Now I hope I can become a suzerain in PE by endeavour. Having a beautiful castle and a small piece of manor. Some liege subjects,some servants,a platoon of army.Taxation, building my land, solve the problems of my people,upgrade my army. Maybe a few diplomacy quests, a few small wars with other suzerains, depends on my decision. That's a cooler idea than player house. :w00t:

It seems all my hope are base on fallout style and BG style. Because I'm very sure OE will do a great job on plotline and dialog writing as a PS:T style. What I'm not sure is could you guys understand my poor English. Anyway , I have tried my best ;(

Edited by bronzepoem
  • Like 1

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I don't know, having a "circus" or "arena" or "fight club" has been done so many times. I've never really liked the idea.

As for soloing the game, sure, but be prepared to have some NPC companions now and then that won't leave you NWN2 style. At least if that makes sense to all the stories involved, coz story goes first.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I don't know, having a "circus" or "arena" or "fight club" has been done so many times. I've never really liked the idea.

As for soloing the game, sure, but be prepared to have some NPC companions now and then that won't leave you NWN2 style. At least if that makes sense to all the stories involved, coz story goes first.

It depends. If the combat system and class system of the game are awesome, the "arena' will be awesome, especially a multiplayer arena where allow you challenge other players' tactics not just AI.

Fighters in AD&D were very boring and underpowered. Not that they could not kick ass but they really lacked a spine. Fighters in D&D 3/3.5 get quite better and can get some more interesting stuff like cleave. And I'd say that Fighters in D&D 4 are better in the sense that they have their special attacks/maneuvers that make them more interesting than the bland AD&D fighter.

Allowing melee (by any class that invests in it) to be more than swinging a weapon makes combat more interesting.

Fighters in AD&D were very boring and underpowered. Not that they could not kick ass but they really lacked a spine. Fighters in D&D 3/3.5 get quite better and can get some more interesting stuff like cleave. And I'd say that Fighters in D&D 4 are better in the sense that they have their special attacks/maneuvers that make them more interesting than the bland AD&D fighter.

Allowing melee (by any class that invests in it) to be more than swinging a weapon makes combat more interesting.

I can accept fighters are underpowered because balance in a party based RPG is not necessary. But I can't accept they are boring!

By the way, could you tell me how to say the class changing system in BG2 in English?

Just as long as those "companions" are prepared for their delicate necks to meet the brutal steel spikes of my flail or the cold steel edge of my sword.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.