disappointed (torment fan perspective)

I kinda agree with OP. Leave the stupid accusations of trolling and other such childishness, because this guy really has a valid point here. Their updates about game have been little too technical for me since I really don't care much for actual mechanics as long as story and characters are good and interesting. Extra classes, races, factions, areas, etc. are of course good things and more is usually better at least to some extends, but I'm still left with a question: More of what? We know nearly nothing about the world, but we are promised more of it already. Doesn't make much sense to me and I can't help but feel indifferent.

I have already pledged as much as I can and probably more than I should, but I still would like to hear deeper information on the world they are creating before Kickstarter ends cause I think there are more people, who still have money to pledge, wondering these same things.

Maybe now a bigger detailed world map and a extra designer team joining will be the most effective stretch goal.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

You would be foolish to go into this expecting a new Planescape game Rasmudd, Project Eternity has been marketed as a High Fantasy game, not an "avant-garde fantasy".

Expect more traditional elements in this, but being Obsidian you will no doubt get some twists from the norm also.

Wait, is this game a HIGH fantasy??!!

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of PST as many others out there and was a little disappointed that OBS Kickstarter campaign was for the spiritual heir of PST rather than PS 2.

That said, the centrality of the soul in PE is something that is potentially as clever if not more so than the centrality of identify, memory and regret was for PST.

As other posters have said, with the talent that OBS possess, their pedigree and the fact that Avellone is intimately involved with this project makes me more than hopeful that the end product will be Planescape Torment's spiritual successor, just as was promised.

(warning gratuitous BW bash)

Plus, even the worse scenario should see a game better than DA2.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

I kinda agree with OP. Leave the stupid accusations of trolling and other such childishness, because this guy really has a valid point here. Their updates about game have been little too technical for me since I really don't care much for actual mechanics as long as story and characters are good and interesting. Extra classes, races, factions, areas, etc. are of course good things and more is usually better at least to some extends, but I'm still left with a question: More of what? We know nearly nothing about the world, but we are promised more of it already. Doesn't make much sense to me and I can't help but feel indifferent.

I have already pledged as much as I can and probably more than I should, but I still would like to hear deeper information on the world they are creating before Kickstarter ends cause I think there are more people, who still have money to pledge, wondering these same things.

Maybe now a bigger detailed world map and a extra designer team joining will be the most effective stretch goal.

Or bringing some big name along to the project. All-stars tactic has worked well on other projects, so that would definitively get peoples attention. They could also make more clear how many extra hands they are able to bring in this project after every achieved stretch goal. They have already said the size of development team depends on how much they get funded, so some estimated numbers could give some context of what we are buying by backing this project.

Next to nothing is known about the game. How can you be disappointed already?

You only read the title before commenting, didn't you? He is disappointed for just the reason you mentioned: Next to nothing is known about the game.

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

I agree, although I am not disappointed yet. But I am also one of those guys that are here and invest in the project for P:T and BG2 and not IWD or dungeoncrawlers :) There are enough mindless dungeoncrawlers out there already, with great action effects and graphics trying to catch the next swarm of pre-teens but there really is only one game like Torment.

I think they should bring a sneak peak for an ncp/write a short dialog story for all of us that expect P:T-quality ncps and story. Explaining how it works in "dry words" isn't the same as really having an example. Of course that is hard to do without spoilering, but I am so senile that I would have forgotten about that in 1.5 years anyway.

• Like 1

I agree, although I am not disappointed yet. But I am also one of those guys that are here and invest in the project for P:T and BG2 and not IWD or dungeoncrawlers :) There are enough mindless dungeoncrawlers out there already, with great action effects and graphics trying to catch the next swarm of pre-teens but there really is only one game like Torment.

I think they should bring a sneak peak for an ncp/write a short dialog story for all of us that expect P:T-quality ncps and story. Explaining how it works in "dry words" isn't the same as really having an example. Of course that is hard to do without spoilering, but I am so senile that I would have forgotten about that in 1.5 years anyway.

I usually like sensible post like this.

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

In the information released with each update.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/04/kicking-it-old-school-the-peril-of-kickstarter-nostalgia/ This is kind of related to my feelings.

Obsidian have completely free hands. I'd love to hear something inspired instead of really long dungeons, crafting systems and classes here and there that we've already seen a thousand times.

Would be so nice to hear about some different places in the game or a certain people or whatever. Perhaps it's just me being bitchy but none of the updates so far has really made me more excited about the game but more of the opposite.

• Like 2

Really? People are upset about the lack of detailed information? Have you forgotten this is a kickstarter project? This isn't a publisher funded game that's been in developement for 18 months already and finally been announced. This is a game that is still in the concept phase. The kickstarter campaign hasn't even finished yet for **** sake. They've only just finalised what engine they will be using. The gameplay mechanics are still being whiteboarded. The combat system, the magic system, the quest and movement systems....all still just concepts, but you want details of the story already?

Personally, once the kickstarter is finished I'm going into Project Eternity blackout. I've pledged money to a group of people I trust implicitly to do what they have proven repeatedly to be very able to do....create fantastic games with immersive worlds, interesting characters and deep, surprising stories. They've done this repeatedly with absolutley no input from me. I have no doubt they'll be able to struggle through without any input from me this time also. I'm going to let them do what they do best and see what they can surprise me with on the other side of the 2 year wait.

Have a little faith people. These people know what they are doing. That's why we've pledged money to this group of developers after all, isn't it?

• Like 1

Regarding the story, I think it doesn't get mentioned in updates/stretch goals because it is the primary feature covered by initial 1.1M funding. It seems to me that from the beginning Obsidian wanted to do a certain kind of story or not do it at all. I can't really imagine Chris Avellone endorsing a campaign along the lines "if you pledge 3M, we promise you 20% more dialogue text!".

I'm a huge fan of Torment myself, probably the best game I've ever played.

They can spam their nonsensical naming scheme all they want. PST - quality aside (and I love the game) - is decidedly high fantasy. Making up a delusional name to make it sound 'edgy' to confuse the customer doesn't change the facts. The game epitomizes what high fantasy is. Seriously, 'avant garde' fantasy is just plain dumb and simply doesn't make sense in any contest. PST is 100% high fantasy.

Less to confuse customers, and more to catch the attention of Interplay. Remember, that was the vision document which almost no one outside Interplay saw till much later.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I'm a huge fan of PST (hey I dedicated a couple of years to moderating BIS forums just to help other PST fans) but if someone says to me "I'm making a game like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment" I can't really think that it'll be *exactly* like one of those games in how the story is structured - or even how the parties are built.

It gives a ballpark for the idea, not the exact seat number. Can't say I ever expected this game to be PLANESCAPE: TORMENT 2: BUT WITHOUT THE TRADEMARKED ELEMENTS

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Me and the OP obviously have wildly different tastes as to what makes a good setting/world/story...

Obviously ID and PST are VERY different in terms of feel, atmosphere, design and the world.

And guess which one I like better?

It's the one you don't.

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

The story isn't being mentioned that much, not because it was fully funded at 1.1 million, but because there isn't one yet. This is still pre-pre-production, folks. All they have at the moment are some idea of the kind of game they'd like to make and a few vague Avellonian story concepts. Mute688 is right. This kickstarter is mostly about trust. Trust that they can make the game that we want, but also that they will make the game that we want. Personally I have little doubt about the first. It's the second that I'm not so sure about. There are two factions that have very different ideas about the game they want. What is Obsidian to do about this gigantic rift in their fan base? I think that's where a lot of the unpredictability is likely to come in.

• Like 1

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

In the information released with each update.

http://www.rockpaper...rter-nostalgia/ This is kind of related to my feelings.

Obsidian have completely free hands. I'd love to hear something inspired instead of really long dungeons, crafting systems and classes here and there that we've already seen a thousand times.

Would be so nice to hear about some different places in the game or a certain people or whatever. Perhaps it's just me being bitchy but none of the updates so far has really made me more excited about the game but more of the opposite.

Walker's wrong, at least regarding W2 and P:E. They don't want to make the old games, they want to make story centered isometric rpgs which aren't made at all. It's not like they're saying they want to go back to the inherent limitations the IE and making a DOS game entail. They're appealing to nostalgia only because the last time these elements were seen was long enough ago that they have turned nostalgic. And that's because of the way the publisher's have evolved, not necessarily the gamers or the developers. The reason it's nostalgic is because vision has been... clouded in modern game design and takes a back seat to popularity and hype. *cough*DA2*cough* Edited by ravenshrike
  • Like 2

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Of course you are right with "trust" and all. I think some of us just said that maybe this trust could be earned by sharing some aspects of the concepts, just some sneak peak.

Even if it is early on, I am sure that some things are already on paper and were before this kickstarter started. As for me there will be no detailed information needed.

I don't think there are two fanbases here that differ in understanding. I think even if u like tactical combat of IWD u will never have something against great storylines and deep characters and vice-versa.

Although the OP is hyperbolic and a little OTT I actually found myself agreeing about the stretch goals:

A big dungeon is great but I would expect that if they're going to put one in the game it should be as big as it needs to be, not 'exactly 17 floors because that's how many backers we got'. How big is a 'floor' or 'level'? Since we don't know that, the stretch goal is meaningless.

The adventurers hall idea left me scratching my head because I just assumed the game would include the ability to create my party if I wanted to (like most IE games). So a capability is being added to the game that really should have been there to begin with. And again, since we don't really know what is and isn't confirmed for the game, they could take any aspect of the game they were already going to do and say 'we're adding this as a stretch goal!' and no one would be the wiser.

As far as adding new classes and regions to the game, again we don't know what the existing classes or regions are going to be so how can they say "we're ADDING this as a stretch goal"... adding to what?

I trust Obsidian to produce a quality product and can't wait for the game, but these stretch goals are just confusing me more than anything else.

• Like 2

I see the dungeon as more fun (since its based, not on money but on backers) than anything else.

I'm pretty sure the initial stuff that I saw on PE made it clear you would make one character (possibly it was forum/kickstarter posts) so the Adventurer's hall idea was floated here on the forums (as was Psionics). I'm also pretty sure somewhere in the early days we had an idea of the general number of races and classes (haven't paid much attention to the map, so don't know about areas).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

i believe that it's clear now that PE won't be a PS:T spiritual successor :'(

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I'm glad they haven't revealed more information about the story. Where's the surprise when the player actually plays the game if they're giving us tidbits about the story, or the major players in the story, or any other lore that we'll come across when we actually play?

I'd rather know as little as possible about the story (or even the tone of the story) before I play the game.

As for it not being another PS:T, I don't think it was ever considered to be directly in following PS:T. The catchphrase or selling point has always been about the IE games, not just one specific one.

Edited by GhostofAnakin

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think that the Adventurer's Hall makes sense as a logical solution. In most story-centric party based games you only get to create one character. (BG, KOTOR, DA, NWN2) In the BG series you could if you wanted make an entire party, but you missed out on the intra-party interactions (and conflicts) that game the games much of their charm.

Still, it makes sense to have it as an option, especially in a game with relatively few joinable companions like this one. It was actually a concern that I had; what if my character isn't a priest but can't get along with/is morally opposed to/killed off the priest that was supposed to join me? The possibility of having other possiblities adds to the depth of the game, rather than forcing you to have certain party members tag along despite personal distaste for them (looking at you Alistair).

Edited by Kilroy_Was_Here