disappointed (torment fan perspective)

Hurr durr barbarians! Oh I'm so happy now. All stretch goals and talk has only been boring talks about ye standard worn out old d&d **** except some brief talk about souls, which would be interesting if it was explained some more and how it will effect the game. Now I didn't expect it to be as unique as torment but "teasing" us with "classic dungeon exploration" makes me want to cry. Let alone that every stretch goal seems uninspired as it seems content to just give more **** that doesn't mean anything.

Now, I'm not saying the game will be **** or anything. It's impossible to tell. But the hinted at focus from all the information that has come out does not paint a pretty picture. All I really want is just a good RPG with a very good story / world. Not a "build a class and whack an ass" kind of game.

In the end though, the game could still become good. Just because it has stereotypical rpg stuff doesn't mean it can't have an interesting world / content, right? I just wish they'd communicate that somehow instead of talking about more classes, playerhomes, hirelingvilles and boring grind dungeons. I'd just love a "all money will be used to make a better core game" or something.

How do you guys feel about this?

• Like 6

If you've ever played Mask of the Betrayer for NWN2, you would know you can have it all, and that Obsidian can provide that Planescape-feel for you! :)

You have the barbarian hall, for instance, where even a mundane animal like a badger can be a monumental torment in the soul of even a souleater! ;)

• Like 5

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'm a big Torment fan too, but that information has to come from Avellone, so we'll have to wait. In my opinion, it's riskier to talk about story and other non mechanical things because there's a very real risk of spoilers. Mechanics are safe. General world description is safe. I'm holding fast to my faith that Avellone will deliver. I'd rather they be conservative on some information, that's for sure.

• Like 10

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

All I really want is just a good RPG with a very good story / world.

if that's all you want, then you don't need to worry...a Dragon Age 2 this will not be.

as for how I feel? 1. I'm excited that its a game that's a true successor to the Infinity Engine greats of days gone by and 2. You are waaay too negative especially considering this project is barely more than an idea at this point. Chill out, life's really not that serious that you need to moan about stuff you don't even know about yet.

• Like 4

I wish it were earlier in the evening and my thoughts were more coherant. Now, I will tell you, first of all, that I agree with Indira. MotB was an excellent game. ...But there were areas of BG that were great at the things that I loved about PS:T. PS:T was about the perfect game, but I don't need a game to cater solely to my rarified and narrow tastes. I can live with a nod to other tastes as long as there's enough in the game to appeal to my personal desires. I firmly believe they can get this all straight. Sure, they might not, but I think they can do it and I'm willing to man up and put my money where my mouth is. Sure, don't use the rent money to pledge, but if you have some extra cash, look at the team and the breadth of experience all of the devs bring to the table. I think it's a good bet, but that's just me. I've already pledged more than I can justify.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hurr durr barbarians! Oh I'm so happy now. All stretch goals and talk has only been boring talks about ye standard worn out old d&d **** except some brief talk about souls, which would be interesting if it was explained some more and how it will effect the game. Now I didn't expect it to be as unique as torment but "teasing" us with "classic dungeon exploration" makes me want to cry. Let alone that every stretch goal seems uninspired as it seems content to just give more **** that doesn't mean anything.

Now, I'm not saying the game will be **** or anything. It's impossible to tell. But the hinted at focus from all the information that has come out does not paint a pretty picture. All I really want is just a good RPG with a very good story / world. Not a "build a class and whack an ass" kind of game.

In the end though, the game could still become good. Just because it has stereotypical rpg stuff doesn't mean it can't have an interesting world / content, right? I just wish they'd communicate that somehow instead of talking about more classes, playerhomes, hirelingvilles and boring grind dungeons. I'd just love a "all money will be used to make a better core game" or something.

i think you failed your saving throw when they casted chaos. luckily i have chaotic commands and can try to cast dispel

they said they want to bring back the infinity engine game's style and since these games are all based on dnd, all speculation about eternity uses dnd as a base to describe what we want or expect from the game. however the devs never said it will be based on dnd and actually dont want it be. its a new ip with a completelly new set of rules and a new world

and the fact they will have a durlag's tower inspired dungeon doesnt necessarilly mean the whole game will be a brainless dungeon crawler.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Loved Torment, but let's be honest. Within a niche community like RPGs it was niche of a niche, it just wasn't for everybody

As others have said, just because they are talking about mechanics doesn't mean that the story is going to be crap or that the characterization and tone of the world is going to be all hack'n'slashy. They have to talk about systems and gameplay mechanics first because that is the foundation for any game and the tableau upon which a story rests.

I'm still hopeful and I know it can be tricky in what you reveal this early on as I'm sure they'll try a bunch of stuff before they find the specifics that really work. Still, I'd happily trade one snippet or an idea regarding any interesting story scenarios / characters or whatever for all the class babble.

Dear OP have you played any Obsidian games.

Even Dungeon Siege 3 which is an action oriented game has better writing and stories than some so called RPGs.

You are just over reacting or trolling (1 post ...)

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

You would be foolish to go into this expecting a new Planescape game Rasmudd, Project Eternity has been marketed as a High Fantasy game, not an "avant-garde fantasy".

Expect more traditional elements in this, but being Obsidian you will no doubt get some twists from the norm also.

• Like 1

I don't think there's anything to worry about. If anyone can do it, it would be the all-stars team at Obsidian. Let's just give them enough space to establish a reasonably familiar setting to get everyone comfortable. Anything more radical might be considered in an expansion or a sequel.If they do things right, we might see a resurgence of the golden age of cRPGs, something I'd never thought I'd see...

Just to let you guys know. I AM relying on an Avellone factor :). And I do think the game can be good even with standard d&d stuff.

My point is that it is weird in how the updates feel, as they are devoid of anything interesting and also gives the impression that having barbarians in the game is something to be excited about.

But I'll just disregard all the vibes the updates give and still hold on to my pledge and look forward to the game :).

Hurr durr barbarians! Oh I'm so happy now. All stretch goals and talk has only been boring talks about ye standard worn out old d&d **** except some brief talk about souls, which would be interesting if it was explained some more and how it will effect the game. Now I didn't expect it to be as unique as torment but "teasing" us with "classic dungeon exploration" makes me want to cry.

Awwww. Diddums.

Let alone that every stretch goal seems uninspired as it seems content to just give more **** that doesn't mean anything.

LOL

Really happy, thanks for asking.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

Just to let you guys know. I AM relying on an Avellone factor :). And I do think the game can be good even with standard d&d stuff.

My point is that it is weird in how the updates feel, as they are devoid of anything interesting and also gives the impression that having barbarians in the game is something to be excited about.

But I'll just disregard all the vibes the updates give and still hold on to my pledge and look forward to the game :).

barabrians aren't even in the game yet...and if they do make it in it will mean that Psionics will be in the game which opens up a whole world of new RP possibilities.

The setting may not interest you as much as PS:T, but I fail to see why Project Eternity cannot surpass (or at least equal) Torment in terms of story and dialogue. It'll just have a more traditional setting, better exploration, and good combat.

"De gustibus non est disputandum" -- In matters of taste there is no debate. I for one love the Barbarian stretch goal. Love it, love it, love it!! But that's just me.

• Like 4

I know I'm going to regret this, especially since I suspect the drama is kind of driven by the OP's sensationalism, but I want to get this off my chest. A few hours, and glasses, past and I would not have posted this, but I will now.

I actually worked on Mask of the Betrayer. I was a tester. Technically, I was quality assurance, but I wasn't really all that good. Some of the other QA guys earned the title. I never thought I did. Hell, I shared an office with the head Obsidian QA guy who also did some of the design work in the game. He did the quest line with the legalistic devil and the quest where you had to submerge yourself in ice cold water. I thought he could be a real pain sometimes, but I respected that he had drive and talent. ...And that was the head QA guy. The design team was top notch. You might know that Sawyer wasn't one of the designers on that project, but he was intimately involved in the process. I will disclaim that I'm a huge Sawyer fan, not just because he was willing to go out on a limb and give me a chance to experience some of the industry first hand, but also because he was so gracious after I clearly let him down. Once I arrived and realized how hungry and talented the devs were, from the lowliest QA Atari employee to Feargus, I knew that I was out of my depth. I'm a hack without the drive and skills to compete. ...But these guys... these guys are the real deal. Take Alvin, for example. Here's someone who is excited by his job and wants to make a something of himself in the industry. He wants a name and so he's spending the time here, listening to what the fans have to say and learning his trade.

I've never met Tim Cain, but I was impressed and sometimes even awed by the people I met at Obsidian. My initial faith was somewhat vindicated by KotOR 2, but New Vegas truly shines. Even with the constraints of the engine and the vision imposed on the team by Bethsoft, they managed to create something I firmly believe is a work of art. I have all sorts of problems with so many of the parts, and yet the whole confirmed what I knew all along. Obsidian has that certain something that puts them in their own category. Even MotB, using the NWN engine I hate, building on the NWN franchise I despise, was a product of real genius. I've gone on too long already, and I *know* I'll rightfully feel foolish when I sober up, but these are the guys. If we want to return to the things we loved, whether it's Monte's tactical combat or Jaesun's epic grandeur or even my personal story about the nature of a man, then this is our best bet. This project, defying as it does the craven publishing houses, is our chance to break out of the mold and start fresh. Let them have barbarians and tactical combat. That was part of the ol' Infinity Engine games also, after all. It doesn't mean the writing will suffer or that the story will be less personal or that any of those things you loved about Torment must be diminished.

• Like 18

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"ou would be foolish to go into this expecting a new Planescape game Rasmudd, Project Eternity has been marketed as a High Fantasy game, not an "avant-garde fantasy"."

PST is high fantasy. People try to use 'high fantasy' as some sort of silly insult but, in reality, it is not.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

PST is high fantasy. People try to use 'high fantasy' as some sort of silly insult but, in reality, it is not.

High fantasy is no insult, I like high fantasy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment

"In 1997, the game's designers produced a 47-page document that outlined the game's premise and vision statement, and was used to pitch the idea to management at Interplay. Initially, the game was to be called Last Rites, and they described the game as "avant-garde" fantasy to distinguish it from high fantasy. The document also contained concept artwork for characters and areas of the game."

They can spam their nonsensical naming scheme all they want. PST - quality aside (and I love the game) - is decidedly high fantasy. Making up a delusional name to make it sound 'edgy' to confuse the customer doesn't change the facts. The game epitomizes what high fantasy is. Seriously, 'avant garde' fantasy is just plain dumb and simply doesn't make sense in any contest. PST is 100% high fantasy.

I do not believe it was to sound edgy, just show that it was unique. Surely we can all agree that Planescape is not your typical high fantasy game.

Personally I do not mind what anyone calls it, not sure why it bothers you so much.

Because it is a lame attempt to be edgy or cool or different. PSt fits the high fantasy genre to a tee and there's no reason to make up something new for it. To me, it's high fantasy done well. Nothing wrong with that.

I kinda agree with OP. Leave the stupid accusations of trolling and other such childishness, because this guy really has a valid point here. Their updates about game have been little too technical for me since I really don't care much for actual mechanics as long as story and characters are good and interesting. Extra classes, races, factions, areas, etc. are of course good things and more is usually better at least to some extends, but I'm still left with a question: More of what? We know nearly nothing about the world, but we are promised more of it already. Doesn't make much sense to me and I can't help but feel indifferent.

I have already pledged as much as I can and probably more than I should, but I still would like to hear deeper information on the world they are creating before Kickstarter ends cause I think there are more people, who still have money to pledge, wondering these same things.

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 3

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Well, in regards to OP's point, according to Avellone's update he's going to do story structure similarly to P:T and MotB (even though it seems a little too formulaic - I mean, for every companion having a direct connection to the main plot is a little too convenient - and we now KNOW it's going to be this way in the game). The rest of the updates is pandering to Icewind Dale crowd simply because Obsidian can't pander to us anymore than saying "It'll have a story like Torment".