Paladins and Bards

Paladins and Bards  

368 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Paladins to be added?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent or undecided
  2. 2. Would you like Bards to be added?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent or undecided

@curryinahurry - yeah I think everyone gets that :yes: I think we're really just pushing for them to be a 'supported 'subclass in game and so have some sort of in-game reactivity to the choice to play as one. At least that's been my interpretation of the comments, I don't think there would be too much complaining if this was how Obsidian chose to implement them.

Do they really need to have a "title" of their own? What if you can pick skills and feats/traits/whatever that can make your fighter do what a paladin does in traditional D&D?

I'm probably hoping for more character build customization options than a larger number of traditional classes.

I don't think this is mutually exclusive. I think you can have a flexible system and still include traditional subclasses without it being a huge drain on resources. Where the titles have importance is that when people choose these I guess iconic roles to play they want to have who they are reflected in the game. So for someone playing as a Paladin it would be frustrating for them if in-game they were reacted to as a standard healer cleric. The same would go for a bard, you want to be treated as a wandering minstrel rather than as a catburgler - does that make sense? Also in a text based game I can't see why this would be a problematic feature for them to include. After all it's largely a matter of typing 'Hello Lord-Knight' instead of 'Hello Holy Father' I imagine. :yes:

Makes sense. I guess are preferences are just different :)

Not sure if I can explain mine eloquently, but I prefer to be acknowledged for my actions (i.e. the faction reputation) rather than a preset class. If I show my ugly face and the villagers flee screaming away from me, I want to be because I've killed a larger number of "villager class" and so they have come to fear me, not because I picked "Barbarian" as my starting preset. I know it's not going to happen to that level of detail, but one could always hope.

That makes it more rewarding playing the class. To me it feels as it accualy gives you greater sense of accomplishment.

Couldn't a barbarian be a fighter?

Barabarian is a fighter...I think Barbarian implies fighting style and maybe culture that is a typical semi-nomad. It has become sort of stereotype during 80's and now in gaming world. To me it only implies arrogance of ancient greeco-roman culture. (so called civilised society)

magic021.jpg

Ha, good choice! I'd forgoten about the musicians fight in Kung Fu Hustle! :thumbsup: I should watch it again.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

More classes can't be a bad thing.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If there are any bards they need to all be like Grobnar!

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

Now, Wikipedia is controversial in itself and how can we know that what is said there rings true? I happen to know that... just like we are sitting here discussing old school games passionately, there are people sitting in a Wikipedia Forum (Called the "Tea Room") just as passionately as us, finding authenticity in what is posted on it. Don't undermine Wikipedia.

There's some quite respectable material and not a few pretty smart people on Wikipedia, including professional academics. (There's also some total a-holes, but that's another story.) You learn to judge the quality of articles; some are very good, even outstanding; others blow greasy pig's snouts. :wacko:

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The ultimate bard is Homer. It is an old blind man who sits around singing long epic poems for the enjoyment of the king and his court. Any class should be able to be a bard so long as they put points into a lore skill and, perhaps, a perform skill while also having respectable charisma and intelligence. They can include bards by just having bardic quests where you go uncover lost histories and entertain royal courts. Singing Trolololol while in combat is not required to be a bard.

From update 16, it seems like all Paladins were eaten by the Kerfluffles gelatinous cubes.

At least we'll get an honorable mention -

"once, long ago, there was a class of people known as Paladins.... they fought for order, justice, protecting the weak and innocent, and sought out the greatest evils to slay... but then the last of their order was eaten, as were all his fellows, by the ravenous incursion of Kerfluffles gelatinous cubes.... civilization was saved, but at the cost of all it's greatest defenders"

• Like 2

I'm kinda eh about paladins. Based on what was mentioned for Priest in Update #15, it sounds like you could make a Paladin-type character pretty easy.

Bards however, have been my favorite class in D&D since 3.0, using the magic of music and a gib tongue to get into (and sometimes out of) trouble is always so fun.

...and if they show up as a strech goal and we don't meet it, I will be very disapointed in all of you. Very Disapointed.

Paladins. Holy knights smiting foes with righteous zeal and hte powers of faith.

Bards. Poor Mans rouges who sing enemies to death.

If I had to choose, no contest. I mean singing. SINGING!

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

It all comes down to preference, on the face of it, bards are just singing rogues and paladins are just armored priests, barbarians are just crazy warriors, ciphers are soul mages. Everything really boils down to mage, thief, fighter and priest.

Personally I've always liked the paladin class and disliked rogues so I'd favour paladins being added but each to his own, plenty of room for everything.

I think when you boil down a Paladin to "an armored priest" and Bard to "Singing rogue" your overlooking the point of these classes. A Priest is usually a passive role, one that spends time pursuing more scholarly pursuits unless healing is needed. A Paladin is a Holy Knight with a mission who doesn't spend time preaching his faith but enforcing it.

A Bard is more just Rogue skills they posses magic, music and charm. They are a more RP centric class, a Rogue will get by stealthy, the Wizard will use Magic and the Fighter will use Force. The Bard will use charm.

A Priest is usually a passive role, one that spends time pursuing more scholarly pursuits unless healing is needed.

These sort of things are related to the setting. Josh Sawyer already told us what a Priest can be in PE and adventuring Priests aren't passive at all.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Feargus just wrote this in the kickstarter chat:

@Gino I will probably spend more time on the business side of things on PE, so that the guys can focus on design. I still get into the design stuff as well, but from a reading and talking with the guys level. Like saying "Paladins, why? They're dumb." :)

What I mean by the business side is making sure that we don't run out of money, that we can ship all the stuff we are promising, getting distribution partners signed up and getting the other things we want to get started with the PR going.

I swear he is mocking us. ^^

:closed: